Mobil 1 change their filters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was in the parts store today and I noticed Mobil 1 changed their filters. They are no longer white, the ones I saw were almost a gun metal gray. Has anyone else noticed this? I wonder what other changes were made?
confused.gif

Well, maybe if they have "improved" their filters much the same as they've "improved" their oil over the last 15 years, maybe they switched over to Fram as a supplier.

[ July 28, 2002, 11:52 PM: Message edited by: Ron Jeremy ]

I don't think it's a change, just color variation from the printer of the cans. I remember when I
used to get these filters all the time (when I travelled to the US a lot, since they don't sell
them here) that some of them would be grey, while some were white. Internally they are
probably the same. (I hope)

According to Champion Labs, thay are exactly the same. Mobil asked them to change the color to more closely match the Mobil 1 oil bottles and "corporate colors". I called Champ Labs because I found a great deal when somebody had 14 M1-105's (which is the oversized filter for my Honda's that I was looking for), but in the white color. They sure LOOK the same, and I bought 'em all for $3.80 each!!
shocked.gif
Felt like I just won the lottery!

[ September 13, 2002, 06:23 AM: Message edited by: ShootingStar ]

quote:

Originally posted by Ron Jeremy:
Well, maybe if they have "improved" their filters much the same as they've "improved" their oil over the last 15 years, maybe they switched over to Fram as a supplier.

Mobil filters are definitely NOT coming from Fram. As in the previous post the Champion labs phone told me that.

offtopic.gif
I called the champ labs phone and they were very helpful when I asked about bypass valve settings and longer than stock filters for my Camry. They make a few filters but the ones I like are Bosch premium and M1. The Bosch is nominally rated (50% filtering) of 15 micron particles and M1 is nominally rated at 10 microns.

quote:

Why would there improving their oil mean they would downgrade there filters?

Ooh, you think they have not improved there oil, sorry, but they have. Analysis does not lie, even if other things do.

Probably of no consequence, but I remember that the first M1 filter I got when they first became available had an "O" ring for the gasket. I just looked at one last weekend and noticed that it had a standard flat type gasket on it. RW

quote:

Originally posted by Ron Jeremy:

-

thumbsdown.gif

quote:

Originally posted by ShootingStar:
I found a great deal when somebody had 14 M1-105's (which is the oversized filter for my Honda's that I was looking for), but in the white color.

Just wanted to give a
cheers.gif
to this old post. At an AutoZone I frequent, they stopped carrying M1 filters a long time ago (over a year) and their clearance table has had one filter each in odd sizes since then. No M1-104 for my Honda, of course, but I was reading this thread over the weekend, and picked up that poor M1-105 that's been sitting there for a year or more. Paid $3.00. I'm not 100% sure that it will fit, but it's worth checking out!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back