Mobil 1 better cleaner than AutoRx?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems like most people are disappointed with AutoRx when it comes to cleaning. ExxonMobil specifically states that their High Mileage oils, among other grades such as their 0w40, will clean up existing deposits and sludge.

clean.jpg

http://www.mobil1.com.au/why/outstanding.aspx

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Mobil_1_High_Mileage_5W-30.aspx

Quote:
Mobil 1 High Mileage is designed especially for engines where conventional oil has been used, and where these conditions have been experienced:

* Severe Service
* Extended Oil Drains
* Poor Maintenance
* Multiple Owners

For engines where heavy deposits and sludging exist, we recommend short initial oil change drain intervals of 3,000 miles as cleanup progresses.

LOL don't know but every other post by someone that uses AutoRx seems to show little to no results.

So much for Mobil 1 lacking solvency.
smirk2.gif

My brother's sludge prone Toyota V6 just hit 200,000 miles using nothing but Mobil 1. 8-10k mile drain intervals.

Originally Posted By: buster

My brother's sludge prone Toyota V6 just hit 200,000 miles using nothing but Mobil 1. 8-10k mile drain intervals.

That's a strong endorsement for Mobil 1. Long synthetic drains in that sludge machine without consequence. I find that sort of information more significant than most UOA's.

The link you show to Mobil 1 5-30 Hi mileage is API SL and GF-3 rated. Don't know if the page is out of date or if Mobil has failed to upgrade to SM, GF-4. THe new GF-5 spec oils are due in 3rd. Q 2010.

The High Mileage oils are API SL & GF3. Their other oils are all SM.

Originally Posted By: 2oldtommy
The link you show to Mobil 1 5-30 Hi mileage is API SL and GF-3 rated. Don't know if the page is out of date or if Mobil has failed to upgrade to SM, GF-4. THe new GF-5 spec oils are due in 3rd. Q 2010.

Mobil1 10W-30 HM is SL rated, so 5W-30 HM probably will be also and HM oils are designed for older vehicles anyways. So I doubt they care about SM or GF-4/5 as M1HM also contains a high content of zinc...

Whoa. You said something other than a 'glowing review' about Auto-rX??? You're in for it now, Buster!

-A something

Buster, you should no better. It's called marketing. If you dont over extend your OCI and are religious about changing the oil then you won't need a oil to clean anything. You are falling for the marketing. The functionality of motor oil is to create a thin film of lubrication so there is no metal to metal contact and secondly to dissipate heat. The average person who is oblivious to the functionality of a motor oil will fall into that hype of marketing and believe it too. Just like Pennzoil says that they remove XX% of sludge in the first oil change interval. It is the oil company's way of attracting more customers to use their product. But you know this already!! You definately know more than me that is for sure.

My FIRST run of M1 5w20 in my Expedition yielded THIS:

motorcraft8.jpg

motorcraft10.jpg

There was definitely some cleaning taking place.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have seen similar results using Mobil 1 in a 01 Alero w/ the 3.4 that had heavy deposits from long OCI's on dino. I will agree with others that ARX is great for sticky rings and such. Just seems like it takes a long time to work and when it does it seems a little lack luster.

I have noticed RL also has excellent cleaning abilities as well. There really is some truth to the newer oils like PP that claim a certain percentage of sludge cleaning capability. And as much as some cut on Mobil 1, it is, years after its inception, still one of the best synthetic oils available.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
[/img]

Pretty impressive cleaning results. DO you think the thinner viscosity helps clean any better? IMO it does, it gets into places faster and more frequently than a thicker oil does, and flows better. That and a good detergent package in the oil makes for one nice clean up job!

AD

Thats why iron levels are higher with Mobil 1...it cleans even some of the metal off of parts!.......
smirk2.gif

I would think something like PP used with Auto-RX would work better as it has more detergents in it. Many times people were using the cheapest dino oil they could find and the add packs are weak in alot of them.

Pennzoil and Mobil wouldn't lie to us about sludge removal would they?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ADFD1
Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
[/img]

Pretty impressive cleaning results. DO you think the thinner viscosity helps clean any better? IMO it does, it gets into places faster and more frequently than a thicker oil does, and flows better. That and a good detergent package in the oil makes for one nice clean up job!

AD

Well, we should have something to approach that theory with in about 9,000Km, when the Fleetguard comes off the Expedition with its current 10K run of M1 TDT.

5w40 run vs 5w20 run. Probably should have used the same filter, as that may skew things, and it may be more difficult to see what the Fleetguard picked up/didn't pick-up due to the density of the media. But its something
grin2.gif

deven, I realize that but the point I'm making is it appears some oils that have great solvency like M1 will clean if used repeatedly.

AutoRx seems like a mixed bag. IMO.

Used repeatedly would probably mean an OCI of at most 3,000 miles (5,000 km). Most BMW dealers here use Mobil 0W-40 but follow the 'recommended' 10k-15k mile OCI. The 4-cylinder E36/E46 316i/318i models are particularly prone to sludging because of that with their oil sump at only 4.25 liters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back