Mobil 1 5w-30 SL SuperSyn 2002 Chevy Trailblazer 7806 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the first UOA for this 2002 Chevy Trailblazer. It looks like the third UOA for this engine if i'm not mistaken. This is the first interval with synthetic oil, it was running Halvoline 5w-30 for almost all of the prior changes but at shorter intervals. 75% driving in this interval was highway use. There was no noticable oil consumption. The oil Filter was not changed during this interval.

Summary
Engine: GM 4.2L Inline 6-cyl
Filter: Purolator PremiumPlus L25288
Oil : Mobil 1 5w-30 SuperSyn SL grade

Total Miles: 56,288 miles
Oil Interval: 7,806 miles
Duration: ~1 year 11/01/2004-10/14/05
Make-up Oil: 0 quarts
Blackstone Labs

Aluminum 3
Chromium 1
Iron 23
Copper 7
Lead 0
Tin 2
Molybdenum 59
Nickel 1
Manganese 0
Silver 0
Titanium 0
Potassium 3
Boron 89
Silicon 9
Sodium 7
Calcium 2460
Magnesium 16
Phosphorus 692
Zinc 824
Barium 0

TBN: 2.2
Viscosity 59.5 SUS @210F
Flashpoint 395F
Fuel Antifreeze 0.0
Water 0.0
Insolubles 0.3%

Oil was drained when the sample was taken and then filled Mobil 1 5w-30 SM grade and it will be running another year if the miles/year are around the same level. It will probably get something else after that.

What are your comments on these results?

I was wondering the same thing, it's an aluminum engine so it seems the only wear was iron and copper but those numbers seems really low to me. Blackstone didn't flag a single value on this report! I think the great results are from rare WOT, short trips being almost non-existant and the 7 sump quart, what sort of interval would you guys think this could this go to with the same conditions? I plan on using a one year interval changing the oil before the winter (october/november), so that it isnt something that I need to worry about during cold weather.

I would think it could go longer than the OLM being that it is designed for dino oil. I'm thinking that if the TBN were to hold up with whatever synthetic is in it that it could probably do a comfortable 10,000 miles, but with Mobil 1 I'm not sure how long that remaining 2.2 TBN would last.

offtopic.gif
have you had any problems with the trailblazer? I'm considering purchasing it (GM card holder here)

It's been pretty much problem free. The only issues it's had are a small plastic piece that snapped, but that was because we tried to unlatch the storage area that sits underneath the cargo area in the back floor when it had a few large salt bags on top of it, so that was our fault. It never needed any warranty work. The only things it was brought in for was recalls which were fast and painless, we never saw the problems they described in those recalls however.

The only issue we have is a creaking sound that we get when braking in reverse when backing out to the right which we haven't fixed yet. It our guess that it is something to do with the suspension system.

Other than that it's been great, plenty of power for towing, heaviest I've towed with it was an Acura Integra and it did that with ease.

Thanks for the UOA post. there's only one other trailblazer UOA posted from about three years ago. did your oil change light come on?

The change oil light didn't come on. The OLM displayed 13% when it was changed. I didn't want to change the oil for it during the middle of winter. It will be a yearly change unless it starts to get many more miles per year.

Would 10k miles be out of the question with this oil? It seems an extra 2,300 wouldnt be much more, I wish I knew more about the TBN declining and I am wondering if it just dropped fast because this is it's first run with synthetic.

There are two UOA's for this engine that I could find, one for a trailblazer and one for an envoy. They are the same engine and pretty much the same vehicle.

Mobil1 2003 GMC Envoy 3,200 miles

Amsoil 2002 Trailblazer 24,899 miles

Although I have quite a bit of time until it gets changed next, I think it will probably get Amsoil when the time comes to it, it seems that Mobil 1 did the trick with everything from keeping wear low and not thinning out as its sterotype seems to be, but the TBN seems too low. Seeing a TBN of 4.86 with Amsoil with nearly 25k miles(although different labs), it makes me curious as to how it would perform.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back