Mobil 1 5W/30 EP HM, 5866 miles, 1996 Acura 3.5 RL

Acura_205868.jpg

Filter Here:

Doesnt B.S. usually suggest going a longer/shorter OCI based on TBN ? Also isn't an EP usually good for 15 K ?

Doesnt B.S. usually suggest going a longer/shorter OCI based on TBN ? Also isn't an EP usually good for 15 K ?
If you pay for TBN, and if you check the box on their oil slip that says you are interested in extending your OCI. If you don't check that box, they won't recommend a longer interval if it's supported by the rest of the analysis.

If you pay for TBN, and if you check the box on their oil slip that says you are interested in extending your OCI. If you don't check that box, they won't recommend a longer interval if it's supported by the rest of the analysis.

That is correct, this car has gone longer, but at this point 5000ish is what i do it on, HMEP is as good of deal as anything when you get it at rebate time...

That is correct, this car has gone longer, but at this point 5000ish is what i do it on, HMEP is as good of deal as anything when you get it at rebate time...
How come you got the UOA ? Seems like a waste of some good oil only running it 5800 miles then paying for UOA and not finding out how long you can run it.

How much more for TBN ?

How come you got the UOA ? Seems like a waste of some good oil only running it 5800 miles then paying for UOA and not finding out how long you can run it.

Why does it always have to be about Extending intervals when it comes to simple used oil analysis? Is that the only goal here? I thought that maximum engine protection would be the main goal? 🤔🤷🏻‍♂️

The OP ran an oil for nearly 6,000 miles and went to check on how well that oil / filter combo did. How is that a “waste” of anything?

He got back valuable data that the oil held up just fine and the engine isn’t experiencing problems with coolant, fuel or a camshaft eating itself for breakfast, lunch and dinner (like some Chrysler 3.6L I’ve seen)

Following up on Artem's comment, TBN and how long you could potentially drive on the oil is just one small component of a UOA. Wear metals, presence of coolant, water, fuel or other contaminants (insoluables), and viscosity shearing are all still part of a UOA without TBN. Not a waste in any way, shape or form IMO.

It’s basically a hobby for me most of the time and it’s trending, I’ve run enough TBNs on this oil that I know anything short of 10,000 is an absolute non-issue. I kinda look at it like your yearly blood work…

Following up on Artem's comment, TBN and how long you could potentially drive on the oil is just one small component of a UOA. Wear metals, presence of coolant, water, fuel or other contaminants (insoluables), and viscosity shearing are all still part of a UOA without TBN. Not a waste in any way, shape or form IMO.
I understand but if you read the Blackstone Comments it say's that "Wear metals have been steady for a while" so no problem there after how many UOA's. At this point wouldn't you try running the oil to it's potential ? Isn't Mobil EP a 20K oil ?

I understand but if you read the Blackstone Comments it say's that "Wear metals have been steady for a while" so no problem there after how many UOA's. At this point wouldn't you try running the oil to it's potential ? Isn't Mobil EP a 20K oil ?
Their 20k oil costs $2 per 5qt more than their 10k oil. I'd be okay sticking with my comfort zone on how far to take it, even if it's way less than 20k miles. Probably the only way I'd actually even consider taking it 20k miles is if I was driving well over 20k miles per year.

Reactions: FZ1
I would question is the EP an oil that lessens wear compared to the 10,000 mile M1 flavors

Back