Mobil 1 5W-30, 5000 mi OCI, Kia Optima 2.0T GDI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here are the two UOA's performed with Mobil 1 5W-30. I've now moved on in my oil sampling with this car to Redline 5W-30.

Important note about the fuel dilution results: 1st sample (1st 5K oci) was done with a short warm-up before drain - 3.8% fuel dilution on a new engine!; 2nd sample (2nd 5K oci) was done after 20 minutes of driving, so the engine had been fully warmed before draining. I found similar variations in fuel dilution with my previous Audi 2.0T (1st generation DI with timing belt).

Code:
Oil Tested M1 5W-30 M1 5W-30

Mi on Oil 5000 5000

Mi on Engine 8000 13000

Sample Date 11/11 4/12

Make-Up Oil 0 0

Aluminum 8 8

Chromium 1 1

Iron 17 17

Copper 10 7

Lead 1 0

Tin 0 0

Molybdenum 211 90

Nickel 0 0

Manganese 2 1

Silver 1 0

Titanium 1 0

Potassium 1 3

Boron 50 40

Silicon 27 19

Sodium 21 6

Calcium 2541 1417

Magnesium 11 715

Phosphorus 731 704

Zinc 818 782

Barium 1 0

SUS Vis @ 210F 51.6 52.2

cSt Vis @ 100C 7.77 7.93

Flashpoint (F) 290 375

Fuel % 3.8
Antifreeze % 0 0

Water % 0 0

Insolubles % 0.2 0.3

Blackstone summary comments:

Sample 1: Typ wear levels for new engine

Steady wear metals

High Al, Cu, Si likely residual wear

3.8% fuel dilution is cautionary

Sample 2: Fuel dilution has disappeared

Al is OK, Cu is normal

Visc dropped to 5W-20

Last edited:
Looks like excellent results for the mileage on the engine. Is the newest sample SN formula and the first sample SM?

Originally Posted By: DFrost
Both were SN.

Oh ok!!! Seems like different formulations, interesting. I thought the 2L Turbo recommended 5w40? Or that is what my memory banks are telling me, lol.

Owner's Manual and Kia Tech Information (KGIS) both state either 5W-30 or 5W-40 with no distinction for operating conditions. KGIS (looking at it right now) goes on further:

Recommendation: 5W-30 ACEA A5
API: SL or SM or above
ILSAC: GF3, GF4 or above
ACEA: A3 or A5
SAE viscosity: Refer to the recommended SAE viscosity number, which shows "5W-30 or 5W-40"

And the all-important oil filler cap says "5W-30"

When I've asked for recommendations over on the PCMO forum, the prevailing response was that any good 5W-30 (some even suggested dino) was plenty good enough with 5K oci's.

The 7.7-7.9 is somewhere in mid-low end of 20W according to Bobs Oil Vis chart. Isn't that pretty low for only 5K miles? If not, how low can it go and still be "good" oil?

I'd definitely step upto 0w40 or 5w40

to keep the fuel dilution/thinning more in check.

Originally Posted By: BearZDefect
Where are all the comments that M1 does not lose viscosity in service?

With plenty of fuel added into the mix, any oil will thin down as a result.

I have seen many 5W30's enter the 20W realm in many posted analysis. Dino or Synthetic and many different brands, with or without fuel dilution. It's not a issue if your wear metals aren't getting out of control. With the potential of fuel dilution with the op's application, it would seem he isn't in dire need to switch, but if he was to push past his normal 5,000 mile range than, If it was me I be more comfortable switching to a 0W40 or 5W40.

Most oils that use some VII's and meet stringent fuel economy specs will lose a bit of viscosity. If it does not impact wear, it's generally not a problem. Not ideal though.

They sure look like two different oils for the same SN, M1, 5w-30 with the Moly and Calcium.

Did you perform the Oil Changes on your vehicle or was the oil change done by a shop or quick lube?

My comment about the viscosity was not to suggest that some viscosity loss is a problem. I realize that it is normal, and generally harmless.

However, I think this is the classic Mobil 1 5w-30, the one with multiple OEM approvals, which some members tout as a rare energy conserving 5w-30 that does not 'shear' in service.

Regarding fuel, the last analysis showed very low fuel, so I don't give fuel dilution credit for the lost viscosity. On the other hand, the analysis labs make mistakes too.

To my untrained eye, the analysis looks just fine. It is odd that the two have such different additive levels, however.

My comment about the viscosity was not to suggest that some viscosity loss is a problem. I realize that it is normal, and generally harmless.

However, I think this is the classic Mobil 1 5w-30, the one with multiple OEM approvals, which some members tout as a rare energy conserving 5w-30 that does not 'shear' in service.

Regarding fuel, the last analysis showed very low fuel, so I don't give fuel dilution credit for the lost viscosity. On the other hand, the analysis labs make mistakes too.

To my untrained eye, the analysis looks just fine. It is odd that the two have such different additive levels, however.

The flash point went from 446F to 375F. While not as significant as what happened in the first run (with a huge flash point reduction) it is still indicative of fuel getting into the oil, which of course will cause it to lose viscosity.

Originally Posted By: mongo161
They sure look like two different oils for the same SN, M1, 5w-30 with the Moly and Calcium.

Did you perform the Oil Changes on your vehicle or was the oil change done by a shop or quick lube?

In a previous post above I quickly answered that both changes used SN M1 5W-30, but thinking back, the first sample above was the "free" first change at the dealer using their batch of M1, so I can't confirm SN or otherwise. The second change I did myself (as I always have in the past and will in the future), which was definitely the freshest SN version. Sorry if I led you astray.

The newer change is the current SN with TriNuclear Moly (4-5 times as effective) and the mixed Calcium/Magnesium Detergent Package.

Im not sure if the previous change is SM or an earlier SN Formula although it looks similar to SM.

Given the issues with fuel dilution and viscosity loss I would be tempted to try M1 0W40 and see how it does.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back