Mobil 1 5w-30 10k mi; 2015 Toyota Sienna 2GR-FE 60k mi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys,

Here is UOA from 2GR-FE in my Sienna. Oil is Mobil1 5W30 Extended Performance combined with OE Toyota oil filter. This oil had interesting life.
1. First approximately 4,000 miles, it was 50% city and 50% hard open driving up the Rocky Mountains twice a week to ski. When I drive up I70 (I avoid locsal roads in back country with this vehicle as it is really pain to drive it in curves) I manually shift, so rpms are always above 4k. Going down, I downshift to slow don, and very often I will downshift as soon as ECU allows, which means needle will go above 5k rpms.
2. Then in beginning of March I busted my knee skiing in blizzard. Did not see drop off and did not have speed, so ski stayed on (surgery pending tomorrow's MRI results). So next 4k car was strictly driven in city with A LOT of idling when we hike Garden of the Gods as my wife breast feed our baby before and after hike. There were two-three runs to Denver, but that is it.
3. Last 1,500 miles were on a trip to Dallas. 90-95mph, a lot of idling for breast feeding.
4. Last 500 miles strictly in the city.

I think results are self explanatory. There is no need to switch oils or to cut OCI. I know these engines are not hard on oil, but I still wanted to check whether 10K is comfortable OCI.
Also, just to be clear. This Mobil1 is noisier than whatever was before in the vehicle when I just bought it (I suspect BMW 0W20 TPT as I got car from BMW dealer). However, results speak for themselves when it comes to wear and condition of oil.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice engine and nice oil. I'd say with it. Or try M1 AP for comparison sake. I hope you have a speedy recovery.

Thanks for sharing. Our 2012 Toyota Sienna just turned over 86,000 miles. Great drivetrain for sure.

Originally Posted by dblshock
nothing like a Toyota drivetrain today.

This vehicle has some pretty good family talents, but it is definiately NOT "nothing like it..."

Originally Posted by buster
Nice engine and nice oil. I'd say with it. Or try M1 AP for comparison sake. I hope you have a speedy recovery.

Thanx.
I might try eventually also Castrol Edge, PP and Valvoline, just to see. However, next year I am getting myself BMW or Audi for pretty much everything except family road trips or when I have visitors, so I will slow down racking up miles on this car.

Originally Posted by edyvw
. Then in beginning of March I busted my knee skiing in blizzard. Did not see drop off and did not have speed, so ski stayed on (surgery pending tomorrow's MRI results).

E moj zemo....pa nije žvaka za "seljaka"
grin.gif

Hope that it will turn out ok at the end! Busted my both bones just above my anckle 5yrs ago when skiing..lasted a year for a full recovery!

There is no need to switch oils or to cut OCI.

Instead, there is huge room for extending OCI further ....

Originally Posted by Kamele0N
. Then in beginning of March I busted my knee skiing in blizzard. Did not see drop off and did not have speed, so ski stayed on (surgery pending tomorrow's MRI results).

E moj zemo....pa nije žvaka za "seljaka"
grin.gif

Hope that it will turn out ok at the end! Busted my both bones just above my anckle 5yrs ago when skiing..lasted a year for a full recovery!

Eh, jos da vidis gdje sam nogu izvrnuo.
Bones are fine, it is soft tissue. Apparently doctor thinks I will be good to ski this season.

Originally Posted by zeng
There is no need to switch oils or to cut OCI.

Instead, there is huge room for extending OCI further ....

Well, I do not want to. 10k is OK. I have OCD around these stuff. Usually I change oil around 5K, it is just that this car is so uninviting to commit to it, that 10K is actually long for me.
Anyway, once I get proper vehicle it will not do too many miles anyway. So probably yearly changes will occure.

Last edited:

Bones are fine, it is soft tissue. Apparently doctor thinks I will be good to ski this season.

It doesent matter....I busted my leg on a flat part of the slope....@full speed in the middle of a carve (was carving on both edges)....the snow was rotten....so was "my" bump
smile.gif
"krc" i bio sam gotov
smile.gif

A knee can be a "lifetime" project (hope that this doesnt apply to you!)

Originally Posted by Kamele0N

It doesent matter....I busted my leg on a flat part of the slope....@full speed in the middle of a carve (was carving on both edges)....the snow was rotten....so was "my" bump
smile.gif
"krc" i bio sam gotov
smile.gif

A knee can be a "lifetime" project (hope that this doesnt apply to you!)

Well, I did not see drop off, so I thought I can recover, instead of just letting it go. I did recover, but then ski got caught in some 1ft of snow, and idk how, rotated my leg which really messed up hamstring tendon's. I did not have enough speed for ski to detach, and I always set up bindings at lower weight. So we will see. They "think" it just requires cleaning.

Last edited:
Do you mind if I ask why you're using 5W-30 instead of the recommended fill of 0W-20?
Toyota spec'd 5W-30 in the 2GR-FE Sienna's through 2010 I believe, then switched to 0W-20 for 2011+, though mechanically the engines are identical up until 2017 when they implemented the D4-S fuel injection system.

We just picked up a 2016 Sienna last week 08-21-19 and that engine is definitely quieter than our 2008.
I believe the dealer we bought it from used Napa 0W-20 for the oil change they performed on it before they put it on their lot, so take that FWIW.

I have been using 5W-30 of various formulations in our 2008 Sienna since we bought it in 2015 (Valvoline, Formula Shell, Quaker State, Pennzoil, Supertech), but recently decided to switch to a 5W-20 oil to see how it would perform. Honestly I think this engine is quieter at operating temp with 5W-20 in it vs. a 5W-30. Come early winter, I will likely do a full switch to 0W-20 at least for the fill that encompasses the coldest winter months here in SW Michigan, then switch it back to a 5W-20 for the summer since I occasionally use the van to tow a 5x10 trailer.

Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back