Mobil 1 0W40 SN VOA

Thanks for the VOA , this looks like a stellar oil. I wonder if this would be good in a dodge 4.7?

Originally Posted By: buster

That is a good question, one I'd like to know. I think it is due to the lower ash limits. What is odd though is the 15w50 looks like all the other M1 oils. The 0w40 is different.

i noticed that too. the 0w40 and 5w50 seem to have similar add packs. i'll be trying a 50/50 mix on them in my turbo car. i hope this should combat some of the 0w40 shearing.

Originally Posted By: buickmaster
i noticed that too. the 0w40 and 5w50 seem to have similar add packs. i'll be trying a 50/50 mix on them in my turbo car. i hope this should combat some of the 0w40 shearing.
I may do the same on a supercharged 5.4L; using straight M1 5W50 right now.

Originally Posted By: SIXSPEED
I may do the same on a supercharged 5.4L; using straight M1 5W50 right now.

ok so i'm not too crazy. i got the idea from your voa too. thanks for that post. and after some searching i found that petroalliance is here in cleveland. so i drove and picked up a case of 5w50 yesterday. i plan to do my oil change with the 50/50 mix today.

so i drove and picked up a case of 5w50 yesterday. i plan to do my oil change with the 50/50 mix today.
Did you get the SM or SN variety of the 5W50?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SIXSPEED
so i drove and picked up a case of 5w50 yesterday. i plan to do my oil change with the 50/50 mix today.
Did you get the SM or SN variety of the 5W50?

i got both viscosities in the sn variety. i put them in a couple hours ago along with napa platinum filter. i just bought the car so i'm not sure what was being run. after seeing the voa's for both of these oils i'm pretty confident that this should be a good combo.

i got both viscosities in the sn variety.

It would be nice to have a VOA of the SN 5W50 to see if Mobile retained the previous Calcium rich formula rather than the new SN Calcium/Magnesium formula like they did for the 15W50.
11.gif

Originally Posted By: btanchors
What do you all make of the fact that the 0W-40 SN does not seem to be adopting the reduced calcium/additional magnesium that the other SN grades have? Is it due to Ash limits as ArcoGraphite suggested? If so, since 0W-40 SN retains the more traditional additive package, does this suggest the reduced calcium/additional magnesium is compromised in other areas in order to meet reduced ash levels, since 0W-40 SN is sticking with the conventional package?

Can't draw any other conclusion. This is a global benchmark oil.

I also took advantage of the local wholesaler in Cleveland (PetroAlliance) and replenished my supply of M1 5w50 for my Porsche Cayman S. It sees pretty regular track use at Mid-Ohio in the summer, so I wanted a Porsche A40 approved 50 weight oil...which M1 5w50 is.

Anyway, I got 4 cases ($38/case!!) and they were all API SN. I changed the oil last night and sent in a VOA of the SN formulation and a UOA of the SM formulate that I removed from the engine. I'll be sure to post both results when I get them.

Thanks,
Matt

Originally Posted By: Matt_N
I also took advantage of the local wholesaler in Cleveland (PetroAlliance) and replenished my supply of M1 5w50 for my Porsche Cayman S. It sees pretty regular track use at Mid-Ohio in the summer, so I wanted a Porsche A40 approved 50 weight oil...which M1 5w50 is.

Anyway, I got 4 cases ($38/case!!) and they were all API SN. I changed the oil last night and sent in a VOA of the SN formulation and a UOA of the SM formulate that I removed from the engine. I'll be sure to post both results when I get them.

Thanks,
Matt

thanks for sending in the voa of 5w50. i'm anxiously awaiting it to see it.

I appreciate seeing this SN 0w40 VOA!

I am about to replace my SM 0w40 in Mercedes with SN and was a bit nervous about what has changed.

I'm glad to see it looks nearly identical.

Great additive package.

ILSACs limits on ZDDP (phosphorus/zinc) and ash only apply to xW-20 and xW-30 grades.

High initial TBN and detergent (calcium) level is because this is a Euro super-extended-drain oil (25000+ miles) -- that is the A3/B4 (not the A3/B3) category.

Thanks for the VOA.

I love the generous amount of ZDDP and the generous initial TBN value, along with the proven high-quality Mobil 1 fully synthetic basestocks.

This would be a great oil for those seeking lower engine-wear rates and long oil-change intervals (well in excess of 10,000 miles). The only caveat is some loss in fuel economy and horsepower due to high HTHS viscosity.

Originally Posted By: Ayrton
I appreciate seeing this SN 0w40 VOA!

I am about to replace my SM 0w40 in Mercedes with SN and was a bit nervous about what has changed.

I'm glad to see it looks nearly identical.

The main difference with the SN vs SM oil is that the base oil chemistry and/or VIIs has been improved resulting in a lower KV100 and higher HTHSV of 3.8cP vs the SM's 3.7cP and a higher KV100.
The end result is a somewhat heavier and likely more shear resistant oil.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
That looks great. Really strong TBN, and a nice thin 40-weight.

Lots of 30-weight apps. could use that without the slightest issue.

Great points addguy. I've got a couple of changes worth on my shelf just itching to get in my Speed3 DI/turbo which is chewing up PP 5W-30 in 3-4,000 miles.

Does anyone know IF the Mobil 1 0W-40 formula has changed since this sample was analyzed on Sept. 1, 2011?

Originally Posted By: 147_Grain
Does anyone know IF the Mobil 1 0W-40 formula has changed since this sample was analyzed on Sept. 1, 2011?

I don't think so. The current PDS info is unchanged.

I consider Mobil 1's 0W-40 to be their top synthetic oil and trust they won't compromise things in favor of profit over quality of product.

Originally Posted By: vinu_neuro
Why change a winning formula?

That ones easy to answer. It costs them less to make the sn version with visom then the previous sm version that had a very high % of pao. The sn version has slightly worse specs however I believe that in actual use the difference would be imperceptible.
But it's all about money,and saving a few pennies per quart adds up really fast when multiplied by millions of quarts.

Back