Mobil 1 0w40...same formula worldwide?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It had been mentioned in this forum that M1's 0w40 was different in Europe to the 0w40 in the US. I was bored and decided to take a look at the PDS from Mobil 1's USA site and European site.

After looking at the various product data sheets, it appears that the following formulations have the EXACT same properties:

Mobil 1 0w40 European Formula (USA)
Mobil 1 0w40 Protection Formula (EU)
Mobil 1 0w40 Turbodiesl (EU)
Mobil 1 0w40 New Life (EU)

So it appears that, much like German Castrol, 0w40 is a true european oil that is not diluted for the US market.

From what I understand, there is more than one formula for a given oil, even when it's sold under the same name. Each formula uses a slightly different mix of ingredients, but they all meet the relevant performance standards. The idea is that Mobil can pick which formula to sell based on prevailing conditions in the supply lines -- basically, whichever formula they can make the cheapest and the most reliably at the time, they will use. That way they don't get hurt if one of their suppliers has a hard time.

Perhaps you're right, but I was talking about the fact that all of the aforementioned 0w40 oils share the same specs on the PDS:

Typische Produktdaten

Mobil 1 0W-40

Viskosität, ASTM D 445
mm²/s bei 40ºC 78,3
mm²/s bei 100ºC 14
Sulfatasche, wt%, ASTM D 874 1,2
Phosphorig 0,1
Flammpunkt, ºC, ASTM D 92 230
Dichte bei 15ºC, kg/l, ASTM D 4052 0,85
Total Base Number (TBN - Basenzahl) 11,3
MRV bei -40°C 26242
Viskosität sindex 186
HTHS Viskosität, mPas bei 150ºC, ASTM D 4683 3,7

They have four different 0w40 oils (3 in EU, 1 in US) that share these published specs...

Hmm... in the US the 0W40 is labeled "European Formula". Would seem deceptive to actually make it different than the european product. Just a thought.

This is the PDS for the SM formula outside of the US. It is the same as our older SL formula. When I noticed the difference on Mobil's German site a couple of years ago, and posted about it here, they changed the German's PDS overnight. Everybody thought I was crazy the next day for pointing out about two things that were the same. Doug Hillary has posted the specs for the Australian SM variety and it's the same as the link above. Mobil does not want you to know that their "European Formula" is not the European formula...

There are two big differences between the formulae. The US version does not carry the high horsepower turbo Audi/VW 503.01 spec, which is typically found on 0w-30/40 oils that are considered full synthetic. Also, the US version states "Porsche approval list 2002", which is when it was SL rated. I don't believe that they have tested the US SM version for Porsche's approval list. The rest of the world gets "Porsche Approved" like our older SL version.

I think what happened is Mobil started using more dino in their US versions since they can get away with it, just like Castrol did. They no longer publish the pour point as well.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: glxpassat
This is the PDS for the SM formula outside of the US. It is the same as our older SL formula. When I noticed the difference on Mobil's German site a couple of years ago, and posted about it here, they changed the German's PDS overnight. Everybody thought I was crazy the next day for pointing out about two things that were the same. Doug Hillary has posted the specs for the Australian SM variety and it's the same as the link above. Mobil does not want you to know that their "European Formula" is not the European formula...

There are two big differences between the formulae. The US version does not carry the high horsepower turbo Audi/VW 503.01 spec, which is typically found on 0w-30/40 oils that are considered full synthetic. Also, the US version states "Porsche approval list 2002", which is when it was SL rated. I don't believe that they have tested the US SM version for Porsche's approval list. The rest of the world gets "Porsche Approved" like our older SL version.

I think what happened is Mobil started using more dino in their US versions since they can get away with it, just like Castrol did. They no longer publish the pour point as well.

We get pour point on the Canadian DS's.......

And we also get the 503.01 spec...........

Originally Posted By: opposite_locker
Hmmm...then what about these?

http://www.mobil.com/Germany-German/Lubes/PDS/GLXXDEPVLMOMobil_1_0W-40.asp

http://www.mobil.com/Germany-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENPVLMOMobil_1_New_Life_0W-40.asp

http://www.mobil.com/Germany-German/Lubes/PDS/GLXXDEPVLMOMobil_1_Turbo_Diesel_0W-40.asp

When it was pointed out here that they were different, Mobil changed their website overnight to make the whole world's PDS's agree with the US version. But, the link I posted and the info Doug Hillary posted from Australia shows the SM version outside of the US is the same formula that was used for the SL version in the US.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

We get pour point on the Canadian DS's.......

And we also get the 503.01 spec...........

That was my point. Your SM formula is the same as our older SL formula.

Real values may differ from those indicated in PDS, so I would not stick to PSD for an evaluation. Besides, values may also vary from plant to plant and I suppose it's mainly caused by a different source of oil components. I know at least 3 blending plants in Europe: France, Finland and Turkey, and behaviour of oils differs not only depending on its origin, but also on market (!?). However, I'm more concerned that PSD data of most manufacturers don't match data in a relative MSDS.

Originally Posted By: Primus
Real values may differ from those indicated in PDS, so I would not stick to PSD for an evaluation.

More than just values are different, like the VW/Audi 503.01 spec being absent from the US formula. They should quit calling it "European Formula"!

Last edited:
VW 503.01 is not on the current PDS and it was removed from the back bottle label. It does list VW 502/505, but not the newer 504. It also still states "Porsche approval list 2002" on the back bottle. It was an SL formula in 2002, so why they want to remind us that it was once approved by Porsche is very odd.

Porsche requires re-approval every 3 years, not 7. Call it what you like, but it's not the same stuff that's used as factory fill in Europe in a Porsche. What bothers me is folks in the US think they are using the same oil as the factory fill, but are actually using a non-approved formula.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back