Mobil 1 0W-40, 2621 Miles on oil, 8016 Miles on Porsche 991.2 C2S

Greetings. This oil sample comes from a 2017 Porsche 911 (991.2) Carrera S with 3.0L 6 cyl twin turbo engine. The car had a break-in oil change at around 1800 miles approximately 2 years ago and another oil change at 5400 miles about 8 months ago. All oil changes have been with Mobil 1 0W-40 (OEM). This sample is therefore from the 3rd batch of oil (factory>1st Change>2nd Change>THIS SAMPLE>3rd Change) in this vehicle which was taken at approx 8000 miles. It has been suggested that due to the warm climate this vehicle resides in (South Florida) that I use a more viscous oil but I'm not sure which would be the most ideal. 5W-40? 0W-50? 5W-50?

Blackstone Report 4-27-21 17 911-210416 - DEIDENTIFIED.jpg

In South Florida I wouldn't hesitate to use Mobil1 15w50, especially if it is being driven like a Porsche should be driven, and not just a grocery getter.

Many high performance cars ride on M1 15w50 here in NC climate year round without issues. Some switch to M1 0W40 for "brutal" NC winters, or just park the car for a few hours until warm weather rolls in again. Gotta love NC weather changes.

In the past M1 0w40 was prone to initially dropping viscosity into the upper range of a 30w. Its is 0w40 after all. I won't not be surprised if you had taken a sample at 5k miles or 10k miles that the viscosity would be within that of a 40w.

Ultimately the only thing that matter is that this oil is Porsche approved so you have nothing to worry about and has been the flagship product for M1 for decades.

Enjoy the car.

Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 is the correct oil. If you would like to step up a grade I would use Mobil 1 FS X2 5W-50 as it carries Porsche A40 Approval.

That's a marked viscosity drop for such short an OCI. Interesting that the TBN is still showing 7.7 (lot's of life).

Here was an interesting thread of similar topic.
I am curious if there are any opinions/data on the Mobil 1 5W-40 before I would jump to 50 grade.

Second UOA of Mobil 0w40 this week with very bad shear. The first one had a lot of fuel I think but this one sure doesn't.

Second UOA of Mobil 0w40 this week with very bad shear. The first one had a lot of fuel I think but this one sure doesn't.
One really doesn’t know via a Blackstone analysis. They can’t determine fuel dilution at all. I agree it looks that way but I wouldn’t trust them on this aspect whatsoever.

Checked the Mobil site, 12.9 is what it sits at in the high end but it's dropped down to 9.83 in less than 3000 miles? I know it's direct injection turbo etc but dang. . . No bueno in my eyes but this is not me saying M1 0W40 is a bad oil. I think you can do better. I'd go with a bump in viscosity on the higher end, the 50 as stated here. Thanks for sharing this

Porsche is pushing heavy oils and Mobil1 specifically says that 5W50 is made for the latest generation of Porsche engines. It could be that engines are hard on oils, hence M1 5W50.
I would od on more UOA of 0W40. If it is a similar trend, check 5W50.

Here was an interesting thread of similar topic.
I am curious if there are any opinions/data on the Mobil 1 5W-40 before I would jump to 50 grade.

Haha - That was also my thread. I ended up just using the M1 0W-40 (factory delivered spec) for my most recent oil change. I'm still confused other than now I have a report that proves the 'thinness' of the viscosity and suggests I may go to a more viscous oil. So my question, perhaps like yours, is... Do I go to 5W-40? Or 0W-50?? Or 5W-50??? And the answers appear to be all over the place.

Haha - That was also my thread. I ended up just using the M1 0W-40 (factory delivered spec) for my most recent oil change. I'm still confused other than now I have a report that proves the 'thinness' of the viscosity and suggests I may go to a more viscous oil. So my question, perhaps like yours, is... Do I go to 5W-40? Or 0W-50?? Or 5W-50??? And the answers appear to be all over the place.
Grade is mostly irrelevant since A40 approval is based on the HT/HS. You'd have to move up a grade to get a substantially higher HT/HS. Either way the winter rating is only significant in regards your expected starting temperature.

There aren't many 50-grade oils with A40 approval.

It is no surprise a 0W-xx oil sheared quickly. Many, if not all, of them do in harsh conditions. The idea is that an ultra thin oil can provide the real world protection of a 40 viscosity oil, over a long period of time. The reality is that Viscosity Index Improvers last just so long. Another harsh reality is that VII's don't really make the oil behave exactly the same way as its measured viscosity would indicate. Use of such oils in air cooled aircraft engines result in the expected problems of low oil pressure, rapid oil consumption and rapid wear.

The acid test is really the use in a high performance motorcycle with a shared transmission. The results are nearly universal, 0W-xx shears fast. Or for that matter, just about any oil with a wide viscosity spread. Such as 10W-60.

Mobil 1, 5W-40 TDT (or similar Delvac 1) is a robust oil that is less likely to shear.

Last edited:
Back