Mobil 1 0W-40 - 20588kms Mercedes Benz CLK (M271)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
Pablo - You should read the last few UOAs. The shearing issue is largely a non event - as I debated with Tooslick (Amsoil Rep.) many years ago - I asked him to show us the poor wear numbers and engine failures. Of course he couldn't!

Now about five years on and many millions of miles in millions of engines the M1 0W-40 lubricant is still the favorite with the German and other engine builders

The parallel test of M1 and Amsoil clearly showed the viscosity gain point with Amsoil as did some postings on Porsche sites - and the wear rates, if you judge such things from UOAs, were around the average mark - well Blackstone's rates at least

Amsoil got a poor reputation for a matter that to the average user was a non event!

Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary
The shearing issue is largely a non event - as I debated with Tooslick (Amsoil Rep.) many years ago - I asked him to show us the poor wear numbers and engine failures. Of course he couldn't!

Mobil pretty consistently keeps their viscosity on the low end of a grade.

As a result they appear to have sheared in comparison with other motor oils that tend to be on the high end of the same grade.

The only valid comparison is a VOA to a UOA.

Originally Posted By: Rolf
Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary
The shearing issue is largely a non event - as I debated with Tooslick (Amsoil Rep.) many years ago - I asked him to show us the poor wear numbers and engine failures. Of course he couldn't!

Mobil pretty consistently keeps their viscosity on the low end of a grade.

As a result they appear to have sheared in comparison with other motor oils that tend to be on the high end of the same grade.

The only valid comparison is a VOA to a UOA.

It's also important to remember that there are tradeoffs when formulationg motor oils. For example, some oils need to pass the Seq VIB test which is for fuel economy so they use a less shear stable VM. I don't think it applies to this oil being it's not ILSAC GF4.

I noticed on wiki it said a thicker motorsport version is availaable. May have been a typo as it says it's a 10w.

Quote:
The most prominent product under the brand is Mobil 10W40 Protection Formula, a fully synthetic polyalphaolefin (PAO) engine oil. In the engine oil sector, a slightly thicker Motorsport Formula and a turbo diesel version are also available.

Hi,
RI_RS4 - The nitration is in a range of "normal" for me - confirmed after a quick check of my database with a range of from 5 to 35

Mobil indicated that it is tending to the higher side of their average!

Mobil's Lab does my UOAs (Castrol does too from time to time) and Mobil use their VOA (for their own lubricants) to set their limits - except for their synthetics - no limits are set for these! No VOA number was available for M1 0W-40 as it would largely be meaningless

As you will be aware, Nitration is primarily a factor of the combustion process and can be a significant factor in gas fuelled engines and, it can be a precurser to the formation of
varnish and other issues

The combustion process (via design) will have a large influence on the "normal" Nitration factor for a given engine family

A rapidly falling TBN along with a rapidly rising TAN and with an unacceptable increase in viscosity are indicators confirming that the Nitration number is "too high"

The M271 supercharged, high compression, Benz engine does have very high temperature "spots" of oil return to the bulk oil reservoir (sump)and these can be typically around 150C in normal use. This helps to minimise Nitration however if the (a) engine is typically operated with low wall temperatures Nitration can be a factor

The M271 engine is also available in a DI version

Typically PAO based synthetics and Group 3 base lubricants are less susceptable to Nitration but lessor lubricants with higher doses of VI improvers are

In the case of this report the PQ Index and TBN are good indicators that all is well within what is still a relatively new engine. This is confirmed by zero oil consumption which is also a little harder on any lubricant over such a long OCI

Doug,

We're on the same page. Keep an eye out. There have been valve problems with deposits on these engines in the US, requiring valve and/or head replacement.

Regards,

Scott

Hi,
Scott - No known "history" of those problems here. Perhaps this is because MB strictly control the use of M1 0W-40 at their service points here - one wonders.............

I would never use a mineral lubricant in these engines!

Doug

You also have much better fuel down under. Our [censored] fuel here in the States makes for all sorts of deposit issues.

Scott

Originally Posted By: zoomzoom
any reason why you are not using 0W-40 in Boxster?
The boxter is a girls car!
grin2.gif

Hi,
zoomzoom - the Boxster was on M1 0W-40 from new. I changed it to Delvac 1 5W-40 (with Porsche's Approval) as I live in the Tropics and do a lot of very hot ambient running. I also have stocks of Delvac 1 5W-40. A winter "cold" start for me is @ around 17C and in the summer @ around >25C

The Porsche M96 engine IMO has issues that may be helped by a slightly higher HTHS - and I have set my car up to run hotter than most. It has a typical OT of around 96-104C - Most Boxtsers are around 90-100C

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back