Mixing gear oil and hydraulic fluid?

The front axle of my tractor can take both gear oil and hydraulic fluid. Judging by the smell, it was filled with gear oil from the dealer or factory.

Can these fluids be mixed or should I just stick with gear oil for future changes?

I have a 68 JD 3020 that calls for hydraulic fluid, it is one big sump that the steering/transmission/lift and rear end all share. Back when new it speced 303 fluid, these days there are much better options than 303.

But for yours, I would run gear oil if you use the 4wd on it much.

I have the funnel taped in place and zip tied to hold it upright. If it was a larger tractor, the fill hole would be on the top of the axle rather than 90*. Oh well.
IMG_5992.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
1) if you drained the OE fluid, then you can easily add UTHF to the axle without any fears; what little fluid it leftover fluid remains will cause no concerns to the new fluid. I've used UTHF in my front axles for years with no issues whatsoever.

2) Is that a Kubota? It appears you're filling it through the "fluid level" weep hole. Every Kubota I've ever seen (and serviced) has a large hole on the top for filling, and the hole in the front is the weep hole for the correct fill level. Or, is that Kioti orange? I realize you said "Oh well", which indicates you can't find a top fill hole. I was just curious what brand and model of tractor that is.

3) I noticed it has the old style of steering linkage and not a steering rack; that's ol' skool!

Last edited:
1) if you drained the OE fluid, then you can easily add UTHF to the axle without any fears; what little fluid it leftover fluid remains will cause no concerns to the new fluid. I've used UTHF in my front axles for years with no issues whatsoever.

2) Is that a Kubota? It appears you're filling it through the "fluid level" weep hole. Every Kubota I've ever seen (and serviced) has a large hole on the top for filling, and the hole in the front is the weep hole for the correct fill level. Or, is that Kioti orange? I realize you said "Oh well", which indicates you can't find a top fill hole. I was just curious what brand and model of tractor that is.

3) I noticed it has the old style of steering linkage and not a steering rack; that's ol' skool!
It’s a 2018 Kubota L2501.

This has a front facing fill hole unfortunately. The level indicator is on the opposite side.

It’s a 2018 Kubota L2501.

This has a front facing fill hole unfortunately. The level indicator is on the opposite side.
Bummer! Can't really understand why they would still put a "fill" hole on the side rather than the top.

If they combined the "check level" hole with the "fill hole" on the side, I guess that would save them a miniscule amount of money. (one less plug and washer). But putting the fill hole on the side opposite the check hole saves them nothing.

As my kids would say .... "That's just Cra!"

I have the same tractor. I have been needing to change the front gear oil, but have been procrastinating. Super UDT is supposed to be some good stuff. I have seen some videos where as after filling drive it a little and check to see if the level is still full. Has to do with getting into the nooks and crannies of the lower drive hubs.

I have the same tractor. I have been needing to change the front gear oil, but have been procrastinating. Super UDT is supposed to be some good stuff. I have seen some videos where as after filling drive it a little and check to see if the level is still full. Has to do with getting into the nooks and crannies of the lower drive hubs.
I was seeing posts online on how the axle was under filled. Sure enough, mine was. I added 1 quart and it wasn’t enough so I decided on a drain and fill. I could smell that it was originally gear oil so I just stuck with that.

My dad has an older low hour Grand L that I need to check too. It came from the same dealer. I have no idea if it’s filled there or the factory.

I've serviced quite a few Kubota compact tractors (BX and B) including my own B2620, and all have had gear oil in the front axle. I've never heard of Super UDT being for anything other than the rear transmission/hydraulics. I usually fill them, drive around for a bit, let the fluid settle, and have to add a bit more. I really like using the Valvoline gear oil bags for the hard to get to fill holes.

I've serviced quite a few Kubota compact tractors (BX and B) including my own B2620, and all have had gear oil in the front axle. I've never heard of Super UDT being for anything other than the rear transmission/hydraulics. I usually fill them, drive around for a bit, let the fluid settle, and have to add a bit more. I really like using the Valvoline gear oil bags for the hard to get to fill holes.
The book calls for UDT in the front, or gear oil.

I was seeing posts online on how the axle was under filled. Sure enough, mine was. I added 1 quart and it wasn’t enough so I decided on a drain and fill. I could smell that it was originally gear oil so I just stuck with that.

My dad has an older low hour Grand L that I need to check too. It came from the same dealer. I have no idea if it’s filled there or the factory.
i think it is from the dealers not knowing the proper procedure, or not caring either way. They are shipped dry, if made in Japan, if made stateside they are shipped full, or so says my Kubota dealer.

I removed the level plug last night and sure enough, nothing flowed out. Makes sense if there was air in the axle somewhere, but book says it holds something like 3.4 quarts. It took nearly 4 before it started slowly overflowing. I should have added 3 and drove it a little, let it set overnight, and finish filling.

ok so I did the same thing, checked the level indicator hole, and nothing.......added close to 3\4 quart. Mine was filled with gear oil. Looking at the axle, I am not sure that the 3\4 quart not being there from the jump really makes much of a difference. Everything still should be bathed in oil.......long long term, perhaps not good, but overall, likely that it does not effect longevity. Who knows.

ok so I did the same thing, checked the level indicator hole, and nothing.......added close to 3\4 quart. Mine was filled with gear oil. Looking at the axle, I am not sure that the 3\4 quart not being there from the jump really makes much of a difference. Everything still should be bathed in oil.......long long term, perhaps not good, but overall, likely that it does not effect longevity. Who knows.
I’m willing to bet mine was much lower than that. I received “checklist for inspection after assembly” from the dealer with my owners manuals. Sure enough, the front axle oil was one of them checked.

I feel like being a butt and going to the dealer about it, but it likely won’t do a thing besides make me look like a butt.

I’m willing to bet mine was much lower than that. I received “checklist for inspection after assembly” from the dealer with my owners manuals. Sure enough, the front axle oil was one of them checked.

I feel like being a butt and going to the dealer about it, but it likely won’t do a thing besides make me look like a butt.
Probably, but the truth is the truth.

Back