Mixing coolant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you read my previous post you'll know that I'm leaking antifreeze....will get it fixed on Monday. In the meantime I'm topping off the resevoir tank every other day and just ran out of coolant so I need to buy more. Currently using Proline(green) and wondering if it is ok to mix brands. I want to get Peak antifreeze which is pre-mixed with water so I don't have to bother with mixing myself. Would that be ok?

Thanks.

I don't think the brands matter much, as long as you stay with the green. I mix brands regularly in all my vehicles.

I did flush out the orange type in my Cherokee last year though, because of what I'd read here. Funny thing though, it looked fine. There was no "sludging" or discoloration at all.....
dunno.gif

Just don't mix the green with the Orange long life antifreeze. Mixing brands should be okay as long as they are both Green. BTW Prestone makes the pre mixed antifreeze.

I've been told by a couple of chevy dealers that you can mix the Dexcool and the regular green but that if you do, you have to change the Dexcool out at the conventional green intervels.

I accidently added some green to my Dexcool and so far have seen no adverse affects from this. No sludge buildup in the overflow tank or on the underside of the radiator cap. I plan on changing the Dexcool sooner than the recommended intervels anyway.

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back