Mixed Emotions! Little Angry but Blessed!!

Nuthin' like an easy (cheap!) fix!
Overkill was on the money.

I apologize to Overkill! I thought it was just you...you both had it. At least it seems that was the culprit. I'll drive it locally tomorrow and recheck.

That usually only happens if the old filter gasket was left on the mounting surface, and the new oil filter was snugged down on top of it. Make sure the old oil filter gasket isn't still stuck on the mounting surface...

Brotha I've done that!!!!!!!! What a lesson it is. I am close to 48 and have done every oil change in my life on all my vehicles since 16. That happened to me in my early 20's in New England in February in the snow and man I suffered fixing that mess! I will not do an oil change without first feeling the mating surface, wiping it with a old T shirt, and seeing the old gasket off. It lasted 10K+ and over a year. I'd be amazed if a double gasket could ever do that.

Did you lift the gasket or did it come off looking like that.

I used an open filter wrench to start it half a turn and used my hand to spin the rest of the filter off. No manipulation of the gasket was done by me. That is how it came off. I also wiped the filter matting surface clean and felt it for any abnormalities. It felt flat and good to go. The new filter is the same Fram Ultra model. I have used at least 5 of the Ultra's on this truck and have used many on my Subaru doing 10k OCI's with no issue.

Really just glad it happened so close to home and I was able to catch it. Goes to show you, check your oil!!! You might find things out of wack!

I would say that was the culprit ! funny how it would blow out 7500 miles in.

Good catch for you . around here (Canada) 5.0 are not cheap to replace if you can even find a good one.

I would say that was the culprit ! funny how it would blow out 7500 miles in.

Good catch for you . around here (Canada) 5.0 are not cheap to replace if you can even find a good one.

I agree! It was 10,100 mile area though.

Was it difficult to break loose? It looks like the gasket pushed out, which would typically only happen if it wasn't sufficiently tight.

Was it difficult to break loose? It looks like the gasket pushed out, which would typically only happen if it wasn't sufficiently tight.

I could not break it by hand. But a turn with a filter wrench and the rest was hand done.

That was a very odd looking gasket problem. I use Fram Ultras a lot and have never seen one like that.

I'm with you. I have used nothing but Fram Ultra's for years. I know my 17 Subaru has seen no other filter. I'm not positive but I think that's all I've used with the F150 as well. It's a weird one.

Perhaps the filter reached its filtering capacity and caused extra pressure making that seal blow. But with the relief valve this shouldn’t be possible. I’d want to see inside that filter. I myself see no reason to run a filter 2 oil changes. Cheap insurance, this time you got lucky. I know I wouldn’t chance it again.

Perhaps the filter reached its filtering capacity and caused extra pressure making that seal blow. But with the relief valve this shouldn’t be possible. I’d want to see inside that filter. I myself see no reason to run a filter 2 oil changes. Cheap insurance, this time you got lucky. I know I wouldn’t chance it again.

I appreciate your feeling. But this is a 20k rated filter. I'm guessing and talking out my butt as we all are here. I believe this is not the norm. Lets be real..I have a 5.0 2015 that the hour meter is 1250 hours and 136 hours idle time. The longest OCI was 7600 miles. I'm sure not OK with the filter seal not holding up. Something went wrong. I've cut up many of the same filters from this vehicle as well as the Subaru in my sig. The Subaru gets 10k OCI's and the Ultra filters have been amazing at 10k. And they should as they are rated to 20k! I expect that performance.

I am not Fram fan boy and if I see something else that makes me weary I'll be done with Fram and moving on to another filter. I still see the Ultra as an excellent filter for my applications in the F150 and the Subaru.

Did the gasket come off with the old filter? I know a guy who double gasketted his F150 and ruined his engine. It's happened to my son as well but he caught it. Oops. I don't think the previous post was up when I sent.
Did a double gasket way back when … two quarts sprayed in millisecond, not miles …

When my car lost its real main seal on an 800 mile to Chicago, I stopped when it got 2 quarts (our of 7) low. (Thanks electronic dipststick that checks while I'm rolling at 79 mph!) Ran through 3 gallons by the time I got back. That was 80,000 miles ago.

Running low is no biggie.

looks like you found the problem! I'd still look at fixing that hose though.

Speaking of leaks, my civic has had a power steering leak that will more than likely require a new rack and pinion. I've just added fluid for 6+ years lol.

Back