Mitsubishi SP-III universal fluid

I am debating over using either Maxlife ATF or the Valvoline Import ATF in a 2008 W4A5A 4-speed mitsubishi transmission. Both fluids contain SP-III certification. I know that Maxlife ATF is great fluid, but i like the idea of the Import being a little bit thicker (or the Maxlife is pretty thin it seems), but the Maxlife ATF is cheaper to get and better availability.

Edit: I also found Idemitsu Type HK, that specifies directly for Hyundai/Kia SP-III but "also works for" Mitsu, Chrysler, others that used it. At currently USD$6.32/qt, might use that.

Last edited:
Maxlife is good stuff
smile.gif

In my engine.,I only use oil that meets the stated specifications as stated in the owner's manual. I don't think either of the fluids you mentioned meet SPIII specs or it would be licensed as such. If there is anything that Bitog teaches us it's adhere to the manufacturers recommendations.

If you aren't gonna use what the owner's manual calls for, I'd use use whatever the cheapest and easiest to find. Just find an ATF that meets almost all the specs of all transmissions ever made. Sorta like a Supreme Pizza with all the works.

I'm just kidding. I only use what the owner's manual calls for. Just poking some fun.

I've used Maxlife, Valvoline Import and Castrol IMV in my daughters Elantra…..all work fine....

Back