Mitsubishi Mirage for Basic Transportation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, I was looking to get a Mitsubishi Mirage for commuting back and forth to work.I live in NYC and I need a small car that is easy to find parking for. I do not care how it drives or if it has any bells and whistles. I just want a car that is relatively reliable. I was also considering the Chevy Spark, but I think that might be worse than the Mirage. The good warranty on the Mirage seems to be a plus. What are your thoughts?

Hard to find a Mitsubishi dealership that you know won't go out of business for a long time these days. Also hard to find parts for low volume cars. Mitsubishi as a whole is a shell of its former self, Mirage might be ok but I won't trust the bigger more expensive models. It is probably still better than Spark if it is still a Daewoo under the skin.

If you want reliability and don't mind a slightly used car, get Yaris instead.

I was considering a used Yaris, as well. I wouldn't buy the new Mazda Yaris lol. The Honda Fit and Kia Rio are too big.

Originally Posted by ripcord
Reliable and Mitsubishi don't usually belong in the same sentence.

Yeah, that's a real Mirage.

Apologies for deviating. Is there any reason you must drive and not use public transport, esp the subway? I suspect the time it takes to go from point A to Point B in the city from Brooklyn wouldn't be different between riding a subway or driving. Plus, finding free parking anywhere in the city after 7.30 am is a herculean task.

I live in Westchester and I avoid driving in the city like a plague. I spend more money on Metro north and subway together but prefer to ride public transport.

That said, if it were me, I would stick to Yaris (only).

Originally Posted by ripcord
Reliable and Mitsubishi don't usually belong in the same sentence.

Strangest first post award goes to...

I haven't drive a Yaris in over nearly a decade, but it, even being the base model, was pretty comfortable and had enough power for a commuter, surprisingly. This was a rental and I'm 6', 200#.

The last Mirage I drove was closer to 15 years ago and at five or so years old, was on its last leg.

1. Plan to keep 5-7 years: I'd test drive both and let that make the decision for me, with price (and mileage of the used Yaris) being a moderately close second criteria. In the end, you've got to like what you drive and, despite its great reputation, you may not like the Yaris.

2. Plan to keep > 7 years: Yaris

Originally Posted by PandaBear
Mitsubishi as a whole is a shell of its former self, Mirage might be ok but I won't trust the bigger more expensive models. It is probably still better than Spark if it is still a Daewoo under the skin.

A bit OT, but: When I bought my first new car back in ‘04, an ‘05 Focus, there were two dealers nearby that were selling their cars for BOGO and BOGO for a dollar: Daewoo and Kia, respectively, but only for the Rio and whatever the cheapest Daewoo vehicle was. I can't recall what Mitsu was doing, but I don't recall them ever doing that.

Originally Posted by mimelio
Consider the Yaris Hatch or Nissan Versa....The Versa will give you more for less

Especially the Versa NOTE(hatchback) which is my personal favorite! I've driven all of them(Fiesta, FIT, RIO/Accent, Spark/Sonic, Mirage) and the NOTE is * quieter, rides better and parks easily, easy to see out of, space efficient etc. It's a point & shoot kind of car with good manners and very livable for the everyday-ness. The NOTEs that I've driven, have the best low beam headlights I've driven of many cars. Almost never need the brights.

Is the NOTE Reliable? Hmm well, they're not turds in this segment. It's the segment that I wouldn't call a great segment to begin with.

*I found the NOTE to be quieter than I expected and rode better over broken pavement without chashing.
I would have to say that the NOTE was next segment up, in these 2 areas.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by mimelio
Consider the Yaris Hatch or Nissan Versa....The Versa will give you more for less

A Versa SR is a pretty sweet little car! Looks really sporty! Probably my favorite economy car.

I wish Mitsubishi would go back to making their high end sports cars like the Eclipse TSi and the 3000GT VR4.

The 2014+ mirage is a really reliable little car. I've owned 2 and have frequented the mirage forum. Very few complaints over there (impressive for an internet forum). 1 guy even runs a fleet of mirages for a delivery service.

Careful believing people that have neither owned or researched a brand/vehicle.

I had the same requirement several years ago. Needed cheap back and forth work transport. Settled on a 2012 Versa, still have it. No problems thus far. Has 74k miles on it. It was new out the door for 14k at the time.

Never had a Mirage but did have a '17 Spark. They weigh about the same but the Mirage 3 cylinder has 78 hp and the Chevy 4 is about 100. That is a significant difference in how they feel. The Spark is comfortable and enjoyable to drive in the city or on the highway at 80 mph. The only weak spot is the CVT transmission, but mine had over 100,000 miles.

The mirage is roughly 250 pounds lighter than the spark, so there's a difference there. But I will agree that the spark feels better to drive. It also doesn't feel as basic as the mirage. But also gets a few less MPG than the mirage.

You had better drive the Mirage before signing on the dotted line. The Mirage is a miserable driving, slow, noisy, tinny, and uncomfortable POS. In Consumer reports testing it scored only 29, lower than any car that they have tested since the Yugo. Also, forget the Spark since it is manufactured by Daewoo, none of the cars they ever manufactured were any good, and the cars produced by them brought down Suzuki. Neither the Mirage or the Spark have enviable reliability records. The Mitsubishi salesmen push the warranty hard (how else are they going to sell the miserable Mirage), but keep this in mind, the best warranty is the one you don't have to use.
In that size category you would be FAR better off with a Yaris, Fit, Versa, Rio, or Accent. I know that they are more money, but they are well worth the extra money. That additional money will come back to you during the time that you own it, and you will certainly get it back at resale/trade-in time (especially the Fit and Yaris). If you can't afford a new one, buy a 1 or 2 year old used one.

Originally Posted by JoelB
The 2014+ mirage is a really reliable little car. I've owned 2 and have frequented the mirage forum. Very few complaints over there (impressive for an internet forum). 1 guy even runs a fleet of mirages for a delivery service.

Careful believing people that have neither owned or researched a brand/vehicle.

Agree I would visit the Mirage forum for factual information

https://mirageforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php/14-Fuel-Economy-Gas-Mileage

These are simple, reliable and easy to maintain, they are best purchased in a base stick shift variety and get the best non-hybrid fuel economy in the real world

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back