Minimum air compressor

I don't use a lot of air tools and I don't really plan to go that route but my existing air compressor barely functions to fill car tires (its a 2 gallon Coleman Powermate). Looking for something that will be able to run an undercoating gun for FF once per year, fill tires and use the blowgun for isolated tasks. If I ever end up going pneumatic tools I can reconsider but that is a very remote scenario.

Looking at a pancake style with the following specs:
6 gallon
150psi
0.8hp/10.5amp
2.6SCFM @ 90psi

My spray gun is rated for 6-9CFM @ 40-100psi. I figure for once a year it will likely work, maybe as well as my HF airless sprayer. Mainly I want the benefit of not needing umpteen aerosol cans to get inside doors, frames, etc as I can run at attachment on the air sprayer. Will this suffice? I've found the HF unit needs t re-charge frequently and will loose prime fairly easily so I don't think there will be must difference using a smaller compressor like this.

too small. what is your budget?

3.5x the air storage and over double the CFM.

or this one

That HFT 21 gal vertical unit is what I've had for 5yrs or so. Works great for my usage, with my only gripe being is flippin LOUD. WAY louder than my 20yr old little dual hotdog tank HFT compressor that spins at half the RPM.

The biggest workout I give the 21gal is when I'm fluid filming or woolwaxing a vehicle. No issues. I just close the garage door on the hose to muffle the noise.

RUnning any kind of a spray gun requires a very large tank and a compressor that can recover quickly. If I spray paint, even with a regulator throttled to 35 PSI for my spray gun, my 80 gallon 220v Snapon compressor rarely shuts off. You use a massive volume of air running a sprayer. A pancake will not keep up with it

I know this isn’t what you wanted, but going up a tad bigger than what you think you’ll need isn’t a bad idea.

HF has the $100 (with coupon) oiled pump version that may be worth the look, but you can’t go wrong with the oiled upright $150 (with coupon) version either. You get a lot more compressor for the money with option 2.

I don't think you'd be too happy with what you're looking at. I have a 13 gallon, 3.5 SCFM unit and it won't run a die grinder for very long at all before the pressure starts dropping off because it can't keep up. At the rate your sprayer runs, you'll be pausing frequently with that compressor.

RUnning any kind of a spray gun requires a very large tank and a compressor that can recover quickly. If I spray paint, even with a regulator throttled to 35 PSI for my spray gun, my 80 gallon 220v Snapon compressor rarely shuts off. You use a massive volume of air running a sprayer. A pancake will not keep up with it

I run larger spray guns and an air breathing system at the same time, 25 CFM is the minimum. Yep it takes a big compressor.
The OP will not be satisfied with a unit that is too small, 8 CFM is about minimum for that undercoating gun.

I run larger spray guns and an air breathing system at the same time, 25 CFM is the minimum. Yep it takes a big compressor.
The OP will not be satisfied with a unit that is too small, 8 CFM is about minimum for that undercoating gun.

I agree with Trav, a larger compressor is better for the application. I used to have an oilless 27 gallon compressor. Noisy as heck and was always trying to keep up when Fluid filming or working on large fasteners like Crank shaft bolts.

I kept looking online and found a used 60 Gallon 240v oiled compressor for a good price $250. I would check your local craigslist and be patient to find something larger. You won't be sorry you did.

Just an FYI, I recently purchased a Makita portable air compressor. It flat out rocks, and it makes plenty of air for conventional tools or modest spraying.

It's not cheap, but it's absolutely a professional unit. Very well built and fills super fast.

Gonna echo the recommendation for the HF 21 gallon oil lubricated compressor. I've had mine a couple years and have no complaints. I usually use it to blow the grass off the mowers weekly, but I've used it for a couple spraying projects using the HF purple gun. Had no issues running it, although yes it will run almost constantly. It powers my 1/2" impact with ease as well.

Gonna echo the recommendation for the HF 21 gallon oil lubricated compressor. I've had mine a couple years and have no complaints. I usually use it to blow the grass off the mowers weekly, but I've used it for a couple spraying projects using the HF purple gun. Had no issues running it, although yes it will run almost constantly. It powers my 1/2" impact with ease as well.
This unit may barley get by but may work seems like he don’t want to invest alot of cash into it. It is on the edge of CFM requirements but it’s awfully cheap.
Myself heck no I tell people invest in one be done do anything I ever want Sandblast paint or run any air tool. 7.5 HP nearly 30 CFM running buy 1 and be done for lifetime.

I went through all the cheap options over the years, and a 5hp 80 gallon 2 stage is the only way to go for almost anything. Tank size makes a huge difference. Hook a small compressor up to a 80 gallon discarded tank, and you will have tons of air for a few minutes anyway. 2 gallon tank can't fill one tire, but with 80 gallons charged to 175psi you could fill up a dozen tires without even running the compressor.

Reactions: JC1
This is the most complete listing of air consumption I can find. This should give anyone considering a compressor an idea of the size they will need.
IMO its not a bad thing to take the min and + 20%.

Attachments

• Air-Compressor-Consumption-Charts.pdf
    438 KB · Views: 97
A 5-7CFM is about the minimum to get by with occasional use. Ive had a craftsman of that capacity for over 20 years. When it dies I will be getting one with about 15CFM, but I use air tools.

Check out https://www.californiaairtools.com very quiet and not too expensive if you stay small.

The HF ones are just too loud no matter the price.

Back