Mini Cooper

Status
Not open for further replies.
Daughters Mini Cooper has the standard 1.6 liter PSA/BMW four cylinder engine. The engine is an aluminum block with grey iron liners. It also comes with 3 years of service included in the purchase price. It has an oil life monitor to tell owners when to change the oil. The monitor on a new Cooper doesn't click on until about 17,000 miles. The techs at the Mini dealership say this is perfectly normal and common.

My assumption is that the BMW engineers are way smarter than me and didn't just set the monitor by accident. This leads me to a few questions.

1. Why does my GM oil life monitor click on at about 7500 miles and the Mini goes to 17,000 miles?

2. What does Mini use for factory fill oil?

3. Has anyone done a used oil analysis after about 17,000 miles on a Mini Cooper?

Thanks to all. Mark Shuell.

Originally Posted By: mshuell
Daughters Mini Cooper has the standard 1.6 liter PSA/BMW four cylinder engine. The engine is an aluminum block with grey iron liners. It also comes with 3 years of service included in the purchase price. It has an oil life monitor to tell owners when to change the oil. The monitor on a new Cooper doesn't click on until about 17,000 miles. The techs at the Mini dealership say this is perfectly normal and common.

My assumption is that the BMW engineers are way smarter than me and didn't just set the monitor by accident. This leads me to a few questions.

1. Why does my GM oil life monitor click on at about 7500 miles and the Mini goes to 17,000 miles?

2. What does Mini use for factory fill oil?

3. Has anyone done a used oil analysis after about 17,000 miles on a Mini Cooper?

Thanks to all. Mark Shuell.

First of all
welcome2.gif

1. GM is setup for conventional oil and is very accurate for what we have seen. I wish both of my cars had the same setup.

2. Don't know. What does your manual state? Prob pretty close to that.

3. They provide "free" service. If you come in @ 17k instead of 7,500 miles they have to provide less "free" service.

Most Coopers are on lease and BMW is going to do what needs to be done to keep the car going. I know the BMW dealership here has conventional in guns/drums and Syn in bottles. (There has been only one dealership that I've been to that had ONLY bottles of oil period. )

What they use the conventional in and syn in is any ones guess... I would not keep the factory fill in for 17k. Esp if I wanted to keep the car for a long time.

What type of MPG are you getting and does the engine require Premium gas?

Thanks, Bill

The MINI oil is a Castrol Synthetic 5w-30, probably the BMW-brand. Great oil for the price (free!) hehe.

There are a few UOA's floating around on the dealer-provided oil.

A fried of mine has an '05 MINI Cooper (base model), she does not follow the OLM, just brings it in every 7500 miles and has everything done, dealer does not complain. Her warranty includes brake pads, gearbox oil, wiper blades, etc.

Hi Bill,

She says it gets about 35 mpg. It has the manual transmission. I don't know if it takes regular or premium gas.

Mark.

Originally Posted By: mshuell
Hi Bill,

She says it gets about 35 mpg. It has the manual transmission. I don't know if it takes regular or premium gas.

Mark.
35 MPG is good! My sister in Law just bought one and she does not figure her MPG.

Was just wondering. Thanks!

Bill

hmm, wife wants one of these, wow, service included, I can beat the pooooopy diapers out of it. maybe I shall lease,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back