Mini Cooper or ?

You posted

Mini Cooper or ? cut and paste , I answered the ? with a real fun car suggestion. Mini Cooper ,,, not my idea of fun.​

I also posted

PS. I am not interested in things like Mustangs, Challengers, Camaros. I think they're very cool, but having driven Mustangs and Challengers in the past (no Camaros though), I generally prefer the smaller, lighter, "zippier" type autos.

and

• under $20,000 (certainly happy to be much under it :) );

Does Caldwell share water supplies with Flint?

That would be nice, but I just know I would go crazy with tunes and modifications, make 500 horsepower, careen off the road and die. OR the car would explode first...though maybe I could then transfer a few modifications to the 7 series... hmm :cool:
It is a platform with so much aftermarket support...and there are a wide range of options depending on your price point. Just have to exercise the discipline.

Ah yes, the elusive 4 seater Miata.

1606247171498.png

Thanks a ton!

To you and the other folks who have suggested a GTI, I will definitely consider one. I also like the Abarth idea. Finally, I have been kicking around a VW TDI as an option, seems interesting, tunable and has a lot of overlap with gas models for suspension modifications.
I've been interested in the GTI for some time but they don't have a very good reputation for reliability.

In Europe they had the VW GTD. That could be the best of all worlds. And a couple of yeas ago (in Norway) we rented a VW GTE (a hybrid). It was fun to drive and used very little fuel. We didn't go far enough to get a good handle on mileage though. But I don't know if either of those made it to North America.

I've been interested in the GTI for some time but they don't have a very good reputation for reliability.

In Europe they had the VW GTD. That could be the best of all worlds. And a couple of yeas ago (in Norway) we rented a VW GTE (a hybrid). It was fun to drive and used very little fuel. We didn't go far enough to get a good handle on mileage though. But I don't know if either of those made it to North America.
It seems more often than not every car in my "fleet" is known by the auto-collective to be unreliable, yet they (almost) always seem fine. Though I did just get a CEL on the BMW (for the very common active air shutters...cleared it and it hasn't come back yet).

I don't think either the GTD or GTE made it to America (I know there is/was a hybrid Jetta, but don't think it had a sporting element). I am liking the GTIs I've been seeing on Autotrader, but wonder if they are perhaps too "serious" of a car? Need to check one out up close.

I was going to say a 944,951,968 but the back seats are very small.

So I second the neon srt. Fun car. Or maybe an older Subaru WRX?

It seems more often than not every car in my "fleet" is known by the auto-collective to be unreliable, yet they (almost) always seem fine. Though I did just get a CEL on the BMW (for the very common active air shutters...cleared it and it hasn't come back yet).
you get used to the feeling :)

Funny, my DD, a Range Rover, just gave me a "...vehicle will not be able to start in 246 miles, inadequate quality DEF fluid detected..." CEL. Dealer says, "its never the fluid, give us a few days"...

The 128i seems a bit out of place on that list, at least from a powertrain standpoint. Any reason for suggesting the 128i over the 135i?
A manual 128i runs 0-60 in the high five second range, and the quarter in the the mid fourteens. Perfect for a commuter and around town runabout.

We were in the same boat when we got a Nissan Juke Nismo manual. Fun enough and been very reliable. I was tired of dealing with Ford paint issues, also found Mini is high maintenance once out of warranty, Fiat Abarth is unreliable and horrible resale. Already own a manual BMW, fun but maintenance is a bummer for a commuter.

I also posted

PS. I am not interested in things like Mustangs, Challengers, Camaros. I think they're very cool, but having driven Mustangs and Challengers in the past (no Camaros though), I generally prefer the smaller, lighter, "zippier" type autos.

and

• under $20,000 (certainly happy to be much under it :) );

Does Caldwell share water supplies with Flint?
I am sure there will be a lot of reaction to what I'm gonna say but l may still get an RX8 Mazda. Had several friends that have these and two conditions to get a longer life. Manual trans and red line at least once every time you drive it. Standing start quarter-mile is about 15 flat but they're pretty responsive when they're moving. One thing that they are not lying about it the advertisement. It's like having wings!

Thank you, but underpowered and not quite the fun I'm looking for.

And if I don't stick to my 20k budget, suddenly a 25k car looks cool and I can justify it, then why not step up to 30k since that opens up a ton of stuff, then 40...and suddenly my "fun zip around car" looks a lot more like an M2 Competition than I originally intended it to.
I have a Crosstrek and its pretty fun to drive. But I am over 65 so my idea of fun may be different than yours. But I would rather have a new car with slightly less fun than a used car with slightly more fun.

Back