mineral base oils better in gear oils?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: tig1
My experience tells me that's balony. Most pickups come with synthetic gear lube in their diffs and also many big trucks(18 wheelers) come with synthetic gear lube as well. Synthetics will lower the diff temps, last much longer between changes, and reduce wear compared to dino. Now if dino was better wouldn't you think these manufactures would know that?

OEM’s were all over synthetic gear oil even before engine oils. For one thing they put long OCI in Owners Manual and know folks are far more forgetful of gear oil …

Getting ready to install an Eaton Truetrac in my 01 Silverado 10 bolt rear axle. The truck has 236,000 miles and I have used synthetic in it exclusively. The fluid has been serviced every 50,000 miles.
Eaton recommends Mineral based gear oil for optimum performance and I have Motul 80w90 I am planning to install during the swap. Any concerns on using the Motul w/out ls additive from now on in the truck?

Im sure that was due to the break in particles being removed, and fresh oil being put in, rather than it being RP synthetic or standard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back