Milwaukee Surge Review

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tried a Surge for a few days in HVAC work and here is how it went. I used it alongside a M18 fuel 4 speed impact. The surge is much quieter and much smoother, no question about it. But for driving screws in sheet metal it is no better than the impact driver. A M12 driver is far more accurate for sheet metal, period.
For wood, no matter what size screw, the surge is much more accurate at sinking a screw with precision, much better.
For lag screws, which the surge is not necessarily designed, it is no surprise the impact driver smoked the surge. For tapcons in concrete, the surge and impact are both good, no real winner here.

Bottom line if you mostly use a driver for medium sized screws in wood, the surge is your tool. If you need torque, the impact is the answer. If you do sheet metal or light work stick with an M12 dedicated screw driver, you'll be much happier.

Last edited:
My M12 gen 2 fuel driver is good enough 97% of the time for general carpentry tasks, and is small enough to fit in a drywaller's pouch with a 6" bit inserted. Full sized guns are for decks and drywall.

Interesting - hydraulic power train. Maybe one of these new shear thickening fluids.

I got a higher end Makita last year and use it along side a dewalt. The Makita is very smooth. Not clear how much it matters.

I agree for much work my 12v Bosch pocket driver is just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back