Milky oil on a powerwasher

Hello,
All I've been a mechanic for over 16 years and I've seen milky oil on vehicles from coolant mixing with oil. I had a customer bring in a power washer to me for repair for the pump not working. I replaced the pump and was going to fire the engine. I wanted to check the oil level and gas before firing. Checked the oil and it was milky color. How in the living **** can this happen? I asked the customer and they swear they only used some Walkmart brand 4 cycle engine oil. I'm thinking they had to of used something they wasn't supposed to for engine oil. I'm just curious if anyone else has ever seen anything like this. I'm sending it back with the customer as is with new pump but with no promises it will do anything. I'm just curious since I've not seen this. When i see. This i just flipped the dam thing over right there on the floor and I guess was in shock or what I was looking at. Maybe if they put the correct oil in it then it might be a good running power washer?

1000008691.jpg

20240604_204928.jpg

Did they dump antifreeze in it when they winterized it last year? Thinking they were putting it in the pump?

doesn't look good. I'd return as is as well. Any chance it has a blown pump shaft seal or something like that??? If I was the owner I'd drain the oil and fill and run for a short time, then rinse and repeat if it still shows signs of water.

Just my $0.02

doesn't look good. I'd return as is as well. Any chance it has a blown pump shaft seal or something like that??? If I was the owner I'd drain the oil and fill and run for a short time, then rinse and repeat if it still shows signs of water.

Just my $0.02
This would be my only guess. I can't see from the pics how the pump is attached to the engine. Is it possible that pressurized water from the pump is getting into the crankcase somehow?

That is the only logical place I can see where water can be getting into the air cooled engine. The white, milky looking oil like you have is definitely from water.

The top picture looks as if water is getting in, and overfilling the crankcase, causing it to drip out the filler cap.

While I suppose there could be a pump seal failure AND an engine seal failure allowing water into the engine oil sump it seems more likely someone dumped in the water or pump antifreeze or something similar.

While I suppose there could be a pump seal failure AND an engine seal failure allowing water into the engine oil sump it seems more likely someone dumped in the water or pump antifreeze or something similar.
I'm thinking they failed to winterize it before storing in an unheated garage (or wherever), and the water in the pump froze and went the easiest route to expand, through the mentioned seals.

Or maybe aliens. 😆

Back