Micro fiber Vs. "Car Dusters"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, I know this is extreme...but, which is better at lifting road dust, etc., btw'n washes, without scratching? I've been using the California car Duster, but recently heard about the benefits of using Micro for this purpose. Thoughts>?

Do you mean the microfiber dusters or a microfiber towel versus the California Duster? I prefer to just wash, but if I were going to dust, I'd prefer a dedicated duster. I have seen some newer microfiber dusters, and they do seem pretty soft and nice.

Dedicated car dusters, micro Vs. 'Parafin impregnanted' cotton, for using btw'n washes.

Anything that touches paint is going to scratch it in some way. Can't avoid that. You can use products and techniques to minimize towel marring.

I haven't used a CCD in many years because of the residue it leaves. If I need to wipe down my car, I'll use a nice MF towel and a good QD. That way I don't have to worry about leaving a mess just to remove some light dust.

But, maybe the best thing to do is use a waterless wash like OEW or a rinseless wash of which there are several on the market. That way your car gets clean without busting out the hose and you don't have to worry about leaving some oily waxy stuff behind.

The problem with the CCD is that there is no lubricant.

With a microfibre cloth you just mist a quick detailing spray to prevent scratches.

I vote for the Quick Detailer.....whatever brand you choose, don't matter....just experiment, I personally like Meguiars.....with a microfiber cloth.....just remember, if the cloth hits the ground, don't use it again until it's washed.....and no bleach or fabric softener....

Originally Posted By: ahoier
I vote for the Quick Detailer.....whatever brand you choose, don't matter....just experiment, I personally like Meguiars.....with a microfiber cloth.....just remember, if the cloth hits the ground, don't use it again until it's washed.....and no bleach or fabric softener....

I always do an extra rinse cycle.

I have has a CCD for over 6 years with no issues of damaging the paint. Just remember it is for dust not dirt...............

Thanks for the replies.

Typically, I use the CCD to lift the dust, then i go with QD and micro. The idea being that lifting the dust is better than wiping it....

I was just wondering what would be the best material to use for that first, light swipe to lift the dust before QD, the CCD has worked well...no residue and no scratches.. it really does lift the dust...I heard that the same gizmo that uses micro might be better, though.

CCD haters on here are ridiculous. I've been using the SAME ONE since 93. No scratches or residue. How about you guys post up some pics of your ccd disasters.

I actually find the California Car Duster works better after you've washed off the treatment they put into the yarns. After several washings the yarns get extremely fluffy and with just a quick spray and shake with Pledge I find it can dust very well without swirling the car up. The trick is to wash it frequently so it doesn't keep holding dirt that can scratch the finish of your car. Also it helps if your car is well waxed. A waxed finish dusts very cleanly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back