Mexico wins the gold

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gold medal against Brazil!!! Huge moment for soccer!!
thumbsup2.gif

Congrats to our southern neighbors. It will be a decade or two before the US has a competitive team in soccer.

*** I thought the Mexican Olympic Team did not go to the London.
Every Mexican who could run, jump and swim....were already in the US (joke).

Originally Posted By: Oregoonian
Congrats to our southern neighbors. It will be a decade or two before the US has a competitive team in soccer.

*** I thought the Mexican Olympic Team did not go to the London.
Everyone who could run, jump and swim....were in the US (joke).

Racist nonetheless.
06.gif

Congrats to Mexico winning gold in the most popular sport in the world. And the same to the USA women's team!!

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Heck with that junk, did you see the finish of the women's 20K walk??

(I wish men's Olympic soccer was the top players)

20k walk?? There's such an event?

Originally Posted By: dave1251
A more accurate response would be ethnic sterotype.

A stereotype we've worked hard to overcome.

Loosen up guys (JavierG & dave 1251)....it was just a joke!

IMO, we have have more than enough 'political correctness' as it is in this country, without laughing at a joke once in awhile.

IMO, we have have more than enough 'political correctness' as it is in this country, without laughing at a joke once in awhile.

I understand and it's nothing against you. My dad came to the USA during the Bracero program in the early 50's. He was subjected to much ridicule during those times even though he entered the country legally. Still he was so proud to become a US citizen before he passed away because this country gave him the opportunity he never had back in Mexico. He would have still been proud of the Mexican soccer team (although his favorite sport was baseball: Dodgers fan - Brooklyn and LA).
Sorry for jumping on you Oregoonian.

Originally Posted By: JavierG

I understand and it's nothing against you. My dad came to the USA during the Bracero program in the early 50's. He was subjected to much ridicule during those times even though he entered the country legally. Still he was so proud to become a US citizen before he passed away because this country gave him the opportunity he never had back in Mexico. He would have still been proud of the Mexican soccer team (although his favorite sport was baseball: Dodgers fan - Brooklyn and LA).
Sorry for jumping on you Oregoonian.

No offense taken.

My Mom and Dad were German immigrants to the US in the early 30's., so we heard many '[censored]' jokes. MY dad was drafted in the U.S. Army in 1943...at the age of 32...and was a interperter for German prisoners. After returning from the war...and because of his German name...he was called a Nazi many times. Also, we spoke German in our home, but (because of the war)... I was always instructed not to speak German outside of the home.

All this to say that Mexicans are not the only nationality to experience ethnic stereotyping and racism.

My parents learned English as quick as they could, after coming to this country, and eventually became US citizens...and they came here legally.

If they do who is going to do all that work nobody wants to do anymore???
confused.gif

Originally Posted By: GROUCHO MARX
Congrats to our neighbors. Now stay home and celebrate!

Right on why those 80,000 watched that junk is beyond me, those 57 people who watched women walking around and seemingly going somewhere but then coming back again, really got to see something exciting. Almost as exciting as watching cars making right turns at high speeds.
crazy.gif

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Heck with that junk, did you see the finish of the women's 20K walk??

(I wish men's Olympic soccer was the top players)

Originally Posted By: andrewg
What Mexico really needs is another revolution....not a gold medal.

Why would you say that? Do you live there have you lived there?

Why would you say that? Do you live there have you lived there?

Girlfriend and her family is from there. I know enough about the corruption in the Mexican government that makes our corruption look like child's play. It's been a huge, insurmountable problem that in the opinion of many (including me) can only be fixed from a second revolution. Governmental corruption down there (from the smallest villages to the largest cities) is basically part of the culture. Mexico has many valuable resources...including a hard working populace. Exploitation, skimming, and other forms of corruption do not allow the people to prosper. From the government to the cartels.....it's in need of a cleansing.

Maybe the "government" is not the problem. I look at it is as the individual is the problem. Because despite as you claim the "government" and "corruption" holding people down, my my father in-law has been very successful in Mexico thru hard work and saving what little money he earned. It took him 20 years from working for a land owner and farmer to become a land owner and farmer. Now does he not only own his ranch and fields, several homes, stores, he even gifted me land. He instilled the believe in his children the only way that they could better their life's was thru hard-work and education. Now all my sister-in-laws are engineers or Doctors. Even my brother-in-law and my wife who did not have the desire to earn a advanced degree still earned technical certificates and higher level education in their desired fields of study. So all it took was a generation of where my Father-in-law who's family had next to nothing he was able to completely turn around his family's fortunes for at least 2 generations. IMO the "man" is holding me down is a excuse improving your fortunes even it Mexico can be done with honesty and integrity. Just most people do not want to take the steady grind to do it. But I can not speak for everyone in Mexico I can only tell you about my immediate family and my friends that still live there on how they either bettered themselves.

Maybe the "government" is not the problem. I look at it is as the individual is the problem. Because despite as you claim the "government" and "corruption" holding people down, my my father in-law has been very successful in Mexico thru hard work and saving what little money he earned. It took him 20 years from working for a land owner and farmer to become a land owner and farmer. Now does he not only own his ranch and fields, several homes, stores, he even gifted me land. He instilled the believe in his children the only way that they could better their life's was thru hard-work and education. Now all my sister-in-laws are engineers or Doctors. Even my brother-in-law and my wife who did not have the desire to earn a advanced degree still earned technical certificates and higher level education in their desired fields of study. So all it took was a generation of where my Father-in-law who's family had next to nothing he was able to completely turn around his family's fortunes for at least 2 generations. IMO the "man" is holding me down is a excuse improving your fortunes even it Mexico can be done with honesty and integrity. Just most people do not want to take the steady grind to do it. But I can not speak for everyone in Mexico I can only tell you about my immediate family and my friends that still live there on how they either bettered themselves.

Your father-in-law is the exception in Mexico (I applaud that). For the majority, government and it's institutionalism has corrupted the means of of the people to prosper. With 49 million of it's citizens BELOW the poverty line, this can't be blamed on the individual not wanting or trying to achieve. It's pretty darn difficult to climb the ladder economically when the very basic services and infrastructure are not in place. Clean, drinkable water....proper availability of nutritional foods, a decent education system FOR ALL, rail and roads to transport goods is somewhat lacking....especially in the southern regions. Decades of neglect.
Yes, you speak of success. It's encouraging to hear. But when corruption and mismanagement of money does little to serve the basic needs of it's people....it's time for a big change.

....and eliminate the drug cartels....who murder thousands of people each year.

I would never vacation in Mexico...considering the above. I'm sure the tourist industry is hurting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back