Metro vs. Prius vs. Insight

Status
Not open for further replies.
Curious why no one has mentioned the comparo in Car and Driver this month between the aformentioned cars. I can't find it online, though, so maybe that's why? Anyhow, The Insight came out on top b/c it had better road manners than the Prius and when driven Car and Driver-style, the mpg disparity shrank considerably. I was cursing myself the whole comparo for not buying the Insight over the Fit until the last paragraph, where they summarized by praising the Insight, yet stating that anyone who wanted a practical, fun, economical Honda would be better served by buying the Fit.
grin2.gif

Of course, no one is disputing the merits of the Prius. They just seemed to think it too sedate and detached. Of course, someone will soon manadate all fun be removed from the driving experience anyway, so...
smirk2.gif

Did you read Jeremy Clarkson's review of the Insight? Be happy with your Fit :)

I own a 96 Geo Metro 4dr LSI. I LOVE IT! I bought it last year for $200.00 and had to invest some money in it to get it right.

It get 40mpg regardless of how I drive it.

Owning it keeps me from having to put too many miles on my Powerstroke.

Originally Posted By: BrianWC

Of course, no one is disputing the merits of the Prius. They just seemed to think it too sedate and detached. Of course, someone will soon manadate all fun be removed from the driving experience anyway, so...
smirk2.gif

When buying an appliance, there is no need for the fun element to be there. Want fun? Youre not truly going to get it in any of those cars... they are appliances to keep the mileage low on the actually fun, performance car of your choice.

It may be more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow, but two of these appliances are really only designed for one means - ultimate MPG - and there is nothing wrong with that, so long as it is kept inmind...

When looking at an used Metro,look under the undercarriage and avoid it if it's this way: rusted out where the suspension parts bolt up to.It is called the Geo split,the tires spreading out and it is not fixable,good for parts only.Where I work at,have two this way with the Geo split for parts only.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

smirk2.gif

When buying an appliance, there is no need for the fun element to be there. Want fun? Youre not truly going to get it in any of those cars... they are appliances to keep the mileage low on the actually fun, performance car of your choice.

It may be more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow, but two of these appliances are really only designed for one means - ultimate MPG - and there is nothing wrong with that, so long as it is kept inmind...

Oh I know. When it comes to the uberhybrid, I don't think there's a contest. Although I do like Honda's attempt at engaging the driver to improve mpg via the color changing etc.

It was just interesting to see the two compared in the traditional ways.

I'll take the Insight any day over a Prisius. Jeeze, the way hybrids drive I would think it should be illegal to call them cars. Appliance is the correct term.

For ecconomy and fun maybe a Jetta TDI is the way to go.

I will never buy a new car that has bad dynamics.

Oh yes, but it's Jeremy Clarkeson. He makes Car and Driver look like Consumer Reports.
LOL.gif

I don't think that means what you think it means. To me, Clarkson and Consumer Reports are both big jokers to be taken equally seriously. The difference is that Clarkson *knows* he's being funny.

Its a sad commentary that there are virtually no publications that provide decent, quantitative data on vehicles. CR pretends to, but their methods are worse than a grade-school science class project.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion. CR isn't the best, I agree. They love to point out flaws in US models that seem to escape notice in Asian brands. But really. They do a better job than anyone else out there.

come to think about it . Never see anyone mention the CHEVY Spectrum ( ISUZU I-Mark ) . That wasn't such a bad car . Would think you could average close to 40 in that with a manual tranny .

just found a ISUZU diesel engine that's used in OPEL Astra and a few other models in EUROPE . http://www.isuzu.co.jp/world/product/automotive/index.html . Wonder what kind of mileage this is capable of getting . Is this motor by ISUZU to be used in any of the 2010 OPEL models and the VOLT hybrid soon to be sold in the STATES ? The ASTRA models are good looking vehicles . Not sure about dependability .

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: smokey1
Latest C.R.not so inspired by the INSIGHT . Would get the FIT before the INSIGHT .

Yeah, got that in the mail today. I must say, seeing that one of my local Toyota dealers has Prius's listed as low as $23k, I'm soooo glad I didn't get an Insight. Either way, I'm happy with the Fit. After driving two SAABs, I don't think I could have taken another "special" car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back