for now I ordered the same type metal cap that the other 3 wheels have:

seems it's a BMW OEM cap: BMW part 36-12-1-120-779

DSCN0003.jpg

Originally Posted By: 97tbird
Thanks for ALL comments:

for now I ordered the same type metal cap that the other 3 wheels have:

seems it's a BMW OEM cap: BMW part 36-12-1-120-779

DSCN0003.jpg

Hmm... OK, so I only have this type on my spare wheel. The ones on the car are actually non OEM. I guess tire shop put on new valve stems and caps when installing new tires a few years back...

DSC_2122.jpg

I guess they must be generic. They are chrome over brass. Never had one corrode or stick. I like the look of them on my Mazda wheels. I had a spare set so I put them on there. Now that I think about it, though, the TPMS valve stem threads are not brass. I should probably just put the gray plastic ones back on.

Last edited:
Got my tire valve caps today...they do seem to have some sort of a seal inside...
Pretty glad I found the same type I currently have..

Not easy to photograph with an iphone:

sm2.jpg

photo-4.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 97tbird
I do want the metal ones, too...but only if it's not risky.

I guess if you remove them often enough to check TP, perhaps one can avoid the problem of them seizing/bonding with valve stem?

Pete: do you remove them often?

If you're checking your air pressure like you should, you won't have a problem.

I picked my BMW up at the performance center and it had plastic caps on the air fillers.

My MBs all have metal ones like you show.

Cant say I can tell any benefit.

My PT Cruiser came with a set of Valve stem caps with the PT Cruiser logo on them.

They seemed rather large and heavy to me. No matter....someone liberated them. I imagine there are a pair of kids' bikes near my wife's old job with PT Cruiser caps.

I thought those plastic pressure monitoring caps seemed like a pretty good idea.

They leaked. I was losing about 5 psi a week. They would tell me I was losing 5psi, but it was their fault. I got a set of cheap chrome caps from Discount that solved the 5psi-week loss

Plastic ones do seem like they would be lighter and more corrosion resistant. I don't know that weight is an issue if the tire is balanced with the caps on.

Spazdog - Your valve caps should not be holding air. They are simply there to protect the valve from water, etc. If you have a leak in the valve core you should replace the core, not depend on the valve cap to seal in pressurized air. Accept for a few specialized caps, they aren't really designed for holding air.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jjjxlr8
Spazdog - Your valve caps should not be holding air.

I think he was talking about those gimmicky ones that have pressure gauges built into them.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: jjjxlr8
Spazdog - Your valve caps should not be holding air.

I think he was talking about those gimmicky ones that have pressure gauges built into them.

Yep...they were the gimmicky ones that show green or red depending on your tire pressure.

I could have left them off entirely and it would have solved the leak.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back