Metal or plastic mailbox

Status
Not open for further replies.
time to replace mine as its worn out . covered in moss and needs paint. just gonna buy a new one. So the old one is metal. thinking of getting a polymer one. i think it would last better than the metal ones in the PNW rain and wet.

i don't want to spend too much on a mailbox . So how well do the polymer ones hold up. i am wondering if they warp over time

They hold up well. I've had one for over 10 years and it held up to the hot Virginia sun w/o any issues. Also waterproof. We had a metal one and the plastic is a lot better IMO.

Working on 15 years on ours. It is a Rubbermaid brand (which may not be available today). Replaced an old metal one damaged by a flying pumpkin. Have repaired the mailbox door hinge once. No major warpage.

I had a plastic mailbox once when I lived in North Carolina. It was fine for what it was. However, one sub-freezing night, some 'kids' (I lived near a university) decided to get their jollies by riding around with a Louisville Slugger. The next morning the box was in pieces on the ground. LOL That was my last plastic mailbox.

Originally Posted By: chainblu
I had a plastic mailbox once when I lived in North Carolina. It was fine for what it was. However, one sub-freezing night, some 'kids' (I lived near a university) decided to get their jollies by riding around with a Louisville Slugger. The next morning the box was in pieces on the ground. LOL That was my last plastic mailbox.

Louisville Sluggers will flatten a steel mailbox also. Either the metal or the plastic will need to be replaced.

My metal mailbox has survived multiple baseball ball attacks. I just tap out the dent with a mallet and wood block. Around here, the fools just drive by and swing the bat from a moving car. Some folks put black painted T type fence posts on either side of the mailbox for protection.

plastic will be good for life - if its a slip over sleeve than the 4x4 post will just need replacing when rotted.

I assume your referring to a mailbox at the road and not attached to the house.

I recently replaced my 'metal' box with another metal box (at the road).
I ordered it online thru Home Depot and it's .030" thick, not .020"
Edit: .030" can still be vandalized, but nicer for normal use.

I always thought the plastic ones look to bulky.

My suggestion:
1) Get some large reflective numbers and put them on both sides of the box.
Edit: Put the numbers on while the flag is DOWN.
2) Go online USPS.gov and sign up for Informed Delivery
https://informeddelivery.usps.com/box/pages/intro/start.action

Last edited:
I have a plastic Rubbermaid one that's fine.

The ones that I don't like are the big one-piece ones that look like they go with a Playmobil set.

Originally Posted By: Oldtom
My metal mailbox has survived multiple baseball ball attacks. I just tap out the dent with a mallet and wood block. Around here, the fools just drive by and swing the bat from a moving car. Some folks put black painted T type fence posts on either side of the mailbox for protection.

Ball attacks are quite different than Louisville Slugger bat attacks.

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
Louisville Sluggers will flatten a steel mailbox also. Either the metal or the plastic will need to be replaced.

LOL

Yes, that's true. But like someone said, you could reshape a metal one for temporary use. In my case, I had to put up a replacement that day if I wanted mail, that day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back