MerconV vs atf+4 vs dex 3

All of these can be used in my 47re. The builders say dex3, some want lubeguard added. Mercon v manufacturer says it will work. Atf+4 is oem spec. Tractor fluid is what drag racers and truck pullers run.

The trans is based off a 727, it will run on lots of fluid, including type f.

I'm going to run dex3 for the break in, 1500 miles. What would yall run after that?

Last edited:
The caveat is i don't own a 47 or a cummins of that era, nor do I have any real insight. If it were me, I would use atf+4. Why? It is a specced fluid, reasonably priced and it should be plenty robust. I ran the p1ss out of 545RFE with the oem fluid and it held up very well. I can't remember how long I had it in service, maybe 120 to 130,000km. Came put smelling fine and darn near as pink as it went in plus zero shudder or shifting issues.

I would generally think atf+4 would be the best.. but if you trust your builder I'd use whatever he says.

Instead of Dexron 3, I would use a TES-295 fluid.

Same viscosity, but full synthetic…

Used in garbage trucks and heavy machinery…

Emailed Kendall(certified mercV) what they would suggest detailing what I had and wanted out of the fluid. They sell tes295, dex3, UTO, and mercV.

Holly responded:
"VersaTrans ATF is the closest match to what they call for in the 47RE, which is the Mopar ATF+4. If you can get the VersaTrans, that would be the best bet!"

Catalog answer. Would be fun to talk to an engineer in the lab. Thanks for the replies everybody.

Seems like:
Anyone selling materials for a 47RE would be expecting ATF+4 and
would specifically tell you if those materials need other.

I'm a fan of the ST

Back