Mercon V or Dexron VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 4T60E tranny in my 97 Pontiac Bonneville is about to be freshened up with a new valve body assembly to correct harsh shifting from mileage wear. My mechanic who will do this job suggests to upgrade from the required Dex III ATF fluid to Dex VI for smoother shifting and fluid life mileage/cycle.
--Stopped by WalMart to check on ATF prices and read on the label of their Super Tech house brand Dexron VI which also covers DexII, DexIII, JASO M35, Mercon SP, Toyota WS, & Toyota T-IV apps.
Now on the Mercon V bottle of Super Tech, the label reads: Also suitable for Chrysler +3 & +4, Dexron II, Dex III, Dex VI, Honda Z-I, Mercon, Mercon SP, Mercon LV, Nissan-Matic J, Toyota WS, and Toyota -IV applications
The Chrysler ATF+4 fluid only covers apps for Chrysler +3 and +4 and some Mitsu and Hyundai trannys

So if these labels are to be believed at face value: is Mercon V superior to the two other ATF's including DEX VI and Chrysler ATF+4 and can I use the Mercon V in my 97 Bonneville trans when doing a total flush?- or will there be issues?

Mercon V, Mercon SP and Mercon LV are all very different fluids I would be very leary about using a fluid that says it fits all catagories.....

There have been a couple of people on the board who have used Walmarts Supertech Dex 6 and been happy with it. I would stick to it or go with another brand Dex 6.

Originally Posted By: swedesteed
My 4T60E tranny in my 97 Pontiac Bonneville is about to be freshened up with a new valve body assembly to correct harsh shifting from mileage wear. My mechanic who will do this job suggests to upgrade from the required Dex III ATF fluid to Dex VI for smoother shifting and fluid life mileage/cycle.
--Stopped by WalMart to check on ATF prices and read on the label of their Super Tech house brand Dexron VI which also covers DexII, DexIII, JASO M35, Mercon SP, Toyota WS, & Toyota T-IV apps.
Now on the Mercon V bottle of Super Tech, the label reads: Also suitable for Chrysler +3 & +4, Dexron II, Dex III, Dex VI, Honda Z-I, Mercon, Mercon SP, Mercon LV, Nissan-Matic J, Toyota WS, and Toyota -IV applications
The Chrysler ATF+4 fluid only covers apps for Chrysler +3 and +4 and some Mitsu and Hyundai trannys

So if these labels are to be believed at face value: is Mercon V superior to the two other ATF's including DEX VI and Chrysler ATF+4 and can I use the Mercon V in my 97 Bonneville trans when doing a total flush?- or will there be issues?

Use a DEXRON-VI but make sure that it's a real one. There should be a license number on the container somewhere. It would look like J-xxxxx.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back