Mercon V in Ford P/S

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did some maintenance on a friend's '07 Grand Marquis today, and when it came to flushing the power steering, he supplied Motorcraft Mercon V.

I use MC Mercon V in my power steering systems, and it works great, but I wasn't too sure of using it in his vehicle, because the manual specifically calls for Mercon in the P/S system and specifically states they are not interchangeable.

He got 2 cartons of Mercon V to do a transmission flush through the cooler lines (13.2L capacity) and reckoned what was leftover could be used for the P/S, because Mercon is getting very hard to find. As a result we put the P/S flush aside, until I can get a confirmation on something.

Dexron III would be a possible alternative, but before going out any spending more money, Motorcraft Mercon V sold in the Middle East is clearly labelled to meet Dexron III specifications:

mercon-v.jpg

My P/S calls for Dexron III and I use Mercon V instead, never had any issues. But I cannot comment on it's use in a Ford P/S system. Do you all reckon it would it be alright to go with his original plan and use Mercon V in his P/S, seeing this fluid meets Mercon spec? Thanks!

the mercon not being compatable with mercon V is an old and inaccurate statement. we use Mercon V in all ford power steering systems with no ill effects.

Thanks a lot, bdcardinal!
thumbsup2.gif
I found it quite odd that they would say it's backwards compatible with Mercon, yet state they are not interchangeable.

My Merc has the M1 ATF in it now, but did use the Mercon in the past. Both tranny and PS unit.

Originally Posted By: Falcon_LS
I found it quite odd that they would say it's backwards compatible with Mercon, yet state they are not interchangeable.
Falcon, I too thought the same thing for quite a while. I read (maybe here?) that the issue of incompatibility between Mercon and Mercon V was addressed by Ford when they changed from the black bottles to the red bottles...something like that...because they knew they were going to be phasing out the Mercon spec.

Having said that, I bought a good quantity of plain ol' Mercon back when it was still available so I'm just gonna keep on using it in the P/S of my Fords until it runs out.

...which at the rate I'm using it will be sometime in the next century.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
the mercon not being compatable with mercon V is an old and inaccurate statement. we use Mercon V in all ford power steering systems with no ill effects.

Even in systems specifying Type F?

Originally Posted By: silverrat

its just hydraulic fluid. besides we dont get a lot of older stuff in.

Originally Posted By: silverrat

its just hydraulic fluid. besides we dont get a lot of older stuff in.

We have 20 bottles of Type F sitting on the shelf. Don't know what to do with it.

The manual for my truck calls for Mercon V in the transmission and regular Mercon in the PS. I have been using Mercon V in the PS pump for over a year now with no problems.

i looked up sales history on Type F bottles at my work, and it hasnt been sold for 3 years. we actually sell more Ford GT transaxle fluid than Type F.

I don't think it's an issue either, did it in my Mark VIII. Also running Schaeffer's ATF in the 2003 Corolla's PS unit, which calls for Dexron III. No issues so far.

Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
Falcon, I too thought the same thing for quite a while. I read (maybe here?) that the issue of incompatibility between Mercon and Mercon V was addressed by Ford when they changed from the black bottles to the red bottles...something like that...because they knew they were going to be phasing out the Mercon spec.

Having said that, I bought a good quantity of plain ol' Mercon back when it was still available so I'm just gonna keep on using it in the P/S of my Fords until it runs out.

...which at the rate I'm using it will be sometime in the next century.
grin2.gif

Good call on stocking up the Mercon!
grin2.gif
Mercon is as common as hen's teeth over here, although refreshing to find out Mercon V is backwards compatible with Mercon/Dexron III.

My 2007 Escape which specs Mercon V for the ATF also specifically states to use MERCON only, not MerconV. They make it very very specific.

Originally Posted By: badtlc

My 2007 Escape which specs Mercon V for the ATF also specifically states to use MERCON only, not MerconV. They make it very very specific.

ford no longer makes Mercon, its been updated to Mercon V.

Originally Posted By: badtlc

ford no longer makes Mercon, its been updated to Mercon V.

I know, but didn't that happen during or before 2007?

I think is was June or July of '07...at least that's when I started see the change from product being called "Mercon" to being called "D/M" and "Dex/Merc". It was right after then that I couldn't find "real" Mercon anymore...

How this to stir the waters, look at the crosses for
Castrol "Domestic Multivehicle ATF" and "Import Multivehicle ATF".

Domestic = Dexron I, II, IIE, III and Mercon.
Import = Dexron III, Mercon, Mercon V and allison C4.

So, why not just have a single Multivehicle ATF? Dexron is backwards compatable. Mercon is backwards compatable, why not cover everything with Mercon V and be done with it...

Alex.
Dexron in my Fords type-F steering box.

Update: the newer, red Mercon V bottles sold here now read "automatic transmission and power steering fluid".
thumbsup2.gif

Since we are already discussing Mercon V in power steering systems I have a question. First off I own a 2004 F-150 which wants Mercon as the power steering fluid and Mercon V as transmission fluid. I just purchased this vehicle a few months ago and have changed out the power steering fluid reservoir twice (once with each oil change) using Valvoline Mercon V. Recently I have noticed some power steering pump whine for the first 30-60 seconds after a hot restart. This is the only time I have heard it and it is not loud at all - radio/blower motor have to be turned off to hear it. I am going to start doing the reservoir drain/refill with Motorcraft Mercon V to see if this clears it up. I am not really worried about it, just more curious as the noise seemed to start after the second drain/refill with Mercon V.

My question is: Is this a side effect of the Mercon V? or is the Valvoline a little bit different viscosity? I am assuming that it had regular Mercon from the factory...? I rememeber reading about somebody on here that had pump noise with one of the universal ATFs in his Expedition (Redline or RP) and said that Motorcraft Mercon V quieted it down. What are other people using in their Mercon speced PS units? I am also considering putting Schaeffer's 204 ATF in the PS and transmission. Comments?

FYI - I just purchased some black bottles that only list Mercon V on the front and read "automatic transmission and power steering fluid"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back