Mercedes

It's a stupid car. It is rated a whopping 32 MPG highway which is an insult for a diesel car.
You'll pay more for fuel, you'll pay for DEF fluid which adds who knows, another .25 cost per gallon. I'm a semi mechanic and
modern diesel emissions are stupid costly and expensive when they break down which it will.
Sir you need a new cat, that will be $4102.00 plus labor.

I have a 2006 E320 CDI it doesn't have the Urea system. I had a GL350 Bluetec and it was a dealer queen. Never again would I own a vehicle with Urea injection and this is my 4th Diesel Benz and it is bullet proof. If something happens to my car I would probably buy a Toyota Avalon Hybrid as diesel efficiency is obsolete considering the diesel price and MB 229.51 spec oils.

It's a stupid car. It is rated a whopping 32 MPG highway which is an insult for a diesel car.
You'll pay more for fuel, you'll pay for DEF fluid which adds who knows, another .25 cost per gallon. I'm a semi mechanic and
modern diesel emissions are stupid costly and expensive when they break down which it will.

To be fair the cat on any late model luxury car is not going to be cheap, in fact a cat for a 2013 Hyundai is anything but cheap either, which is why people are stealing them like crazy now. You can buy DEF fluid even that Walmart now so I doubt it's adding $0.25 per gallon, and the price of diesel fluctuates versus regular gasoline so sometimes it's cheaper and sometimes it's not.

I have a 2006 E320 CDI it doesn't have the Urea system. I had a GL350 Bluetec and it was a dealer queen. Never again would I own a vehicle with Urea injection and this is my 4th Diesel Benz and it is bullet proof. If something happens to my car I would probably buy a Toyota Avalon Hybrid as diesel efficiency is obsolete considering the diesel price and MB 229.51 spec oils.
Something like that?

Something like that?

You hit the nail there.
To be fair to MB, I had Diesel Benz with almost 300k miles when I gave it away to nephew, no oil leak or transmission leak, everything working and he drove another 45k before thrashing it out for another car. But that GL was a different cat! Had to cut my losses and run.

I have not read any positive reviews of the newer Mercedes Bluetec diesels. My recommendation would be to skip the diesel and go with a gas E350.

I have really enjoyed my E350. I've had mine for about 18 months now, and have really enjoyed it. The wife and I took it cross country to visit our son and his family in Kentucky. It was an absolute joy to drive. Even when keeping the speed about 82-83 mph wherever possible, we averaged about 28 mpg over 3400 miles.

When I first got it, a lot of maintenance items were overdue, and it had been slightly neglected by the previous owner. I took care of several maintenance items, but there was nothing that had to be done that was related to reliability. After 15k miles, bringing it to about 67k miles, I still have not had to anything to the car that is related to reliability. I would recommend a Mercedes E class to anyone.

One word of caution. Stay away from the MB tex interior, and make sure to get one with genuine leather. The MB tex doesn't hold up well on the W212 platform.

they charge a premium for the inline 6 diesel e320 (and just about anything else pre-def and dpf). the V6 diesel has other well documented issues that aren’t emissions system related

I just had an Audi Q7 TDI that was leaking at the AdBlue (DEF) tank...the tank had a small split. That little 2gal tank cost almost $1400 at the dealer (got a used one for $600) and doesn't come with a cap that is another $60. Then because the def was run empty - had to do a special procedure to get it started. I agree these late model diesel emmisions are a headache. However the 'Benz the op is looking at is an otherwise solid car.

I have not read any positive reviews of the newer Mercedes Bluetec diesels. My recommendation would be to skip the diesel and go with a gas E350.

I have really enjoyed my E350. I've had mine for about 18 months now, and have really enjoyed it. The wife and I took it cross country to visit our son and his family in Kentucky. It was an absolute joy to drive. Even when keeping the speed about 82-83 mph wherever possible, we averaged about 28 mpg over 3400 miles.

When I first got it, a lot of maintenance items were overdue, and it had been slightly neglected by the previous owner. I took care of several maintenance items, but there was nothing that had to be done that was related to reliability. After 15k miles, bringing it to about 67k miles, I still have not had to anything to the car that is related to reliability. I would recommend a Mercedes E class to anyone.

One word of caution. Stay away from the MB tex interior, and make sure to get one with genuine leather. The MB tex doesn't hold up well on the W212 platform.
I never understood MB Tex lol - I mean shouldn't all luxury cars come with leather. When I was in the market for an E350 Sport back in 2008 the fact that leather was an option as well as other features the nickel and dime you on and the small NAV screen etc..... I skipped the Mercedes and bought the 2008 Cadillac CTS. It was a better deal, more features and power. Still have it too with almost 180k. The leather still looks good too.

It sounds expensive to repair and a 2013 is not getting any newer. I don't know much about Mercedes however I would go for more of a boring cookie cutter car rather than risk breaking the bank on repairs. It's 9 years old x 15,000 miles per year. I don't like sounding like a Debbie Downer but I am afraid it might cost you a lot of money unless you know how to do repairs and maintenance yourself. I never owned a Mercedes before either therefore it's just my opinion and not necessarily fact. 🍿

I never understood MB Tex lol - I mean shouldn't all luxury cars come with leather. When I was in the market for an E350 Sport back in 2008 the fact that leather was an option as well as other features the nickel and dime you on and the small NAV screen etc..... I skipped the Mercedes and bought the 2008 Cadillac CTS. It was a better deal, more features and power. Still have it too with almost 180k. The leather still looks good too.
back in the day they wore like a rock, not anymore though. when I did junkyard runs there was always an 30 year old e-class with a ton of miles on it and the mbtex still looked brand new.

my e55 had nappa leather and even with frequent treatment it was starting to wear.

Last edited:
Have read more than a few horror stories about the bluetec engine. This is not reference the emissions. The stories I have read is the oil prematurely gels up before the dealer recommend oil change interval, causing the engine to seize. I would love a MB diesel, but with the gelling oil stories and emission challenges- as baby shark says " RUN AWAY".

yikes

Attachments

• F39A3B51-897F-4FDB-AFA9-9EEE30D1ECCC.jpeg
    F39A3B51-897F-4FDB-AFA9-9EEE30D1ECCC.jpeg
    108.9 KB · Views: 26
Reactions: GON
Just an FYI, my billionaire boss owns a large fleet of Mercedes cars and SUV's. Including some Blutec ones. I like 'em, (the diesels) but they are maintenance hogs. It's not unusual for us to spend $2000 per month in repairs per troublesome vehicle. As you might expect, some of the Mercedes vehicles are great and trouble free, others simply suck. I'm not at all sure I can help determine which is which.

I will make this claim, once the repairs start, they don't seem to end.

I have the 2011 E-350. It's a gasser though. Standard advice is to avoid the diesels. I don't like the older ones either in the W211 but they were more reliable than the W212 which isn't really saying much. Your main problem with them is that they're more trouble prone and no one knows how to fix them as very few were sold. That's why I'd say get the gas engines. If you're trying to save gas money, a Mercedes diesel isn't the way to go. The 2012-2013 models are probably cheaper as the 2014-2016 models was the face lifted ones and command a little more money. Most of them had MB-tex, real leather was an option and not too many out there have it. On the E-550, real leather was standard but those models are hard to find as way less were sold than E-350s. The ripped seat is common with MB-tex. Best model is probably a 2016 as that had Apple Carplay/Android auto, previous models didn't have it.

There's a lot of good DIY resources out there for the brand.

If you have to take it to the dealer, they will eat you alive just the same as any Honda or Toyota that's dealer maintained.

There’s a reason they didn’t sell a lot of diesels in the US market. There’s a lot of extra emissions stuff to deal with, and if I remember right any malfunction detected it will lock you from starting after a certain amount of miles. That alone is enough to not buy one...they aren’t trouble free either. There is barley any aftermarket support to euro diesels compared to American diesel trucks. Overall diesel not worth buying any more then the regular gas E class.

any specific reason you want the bluetec? The gasser E350s are a dime a dozen in today’s market

Back