Mercedes 190 E 2.6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

A friend of my is restoring a 1988 very well equipped Mercedes 190 E 2.6 (6 cylinder M103).

[Linked Image]

In France, lots of Mercs enthousiats say that only semi-synthetic 10W40 is good for this engine, and that fully synthetic 5W40 (MB 229.5) is "too thin"...

Other thing that i read, is that M103 engine needs ZDDP, which is low in nowadays oils (API SN), whether 229.3 10W40 ou 229.5 5W40...

What do you thing about that ? The car has 145000 km at the odometer...

That can of oil might be better ?

https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-prod...m-protection-10w-40-synthetic-motor-oil/

Thank you !

I ran the M103 in my 300E on Rotella 5W40 T6. Plenty of Zinc. Great results. When I did the head gasket at 125,000, that engine was clean as new inside. A wonderful engine, but a bit hard on head gaskets. The dealer sells the complete set of gaskets needed for about $100.

Have your friend consider one of the older specification diesel/gasoline rated oils. 5W40 is fine.

And tell him that he will need the triple square head bolt tools for his upcoming head gasket replacement...

LOL oh memories, My dad owned several 190 E's during the 00's lol

I remember his last one a red 92 2.6 and we took it on a family trip to Denver

Car was small and cramp as [censored], But still fun times lol

Dave

Tech9 5w40 from E Leclerc....its repacked Shell ultra 5w40
smile.gif

http://www.lautogap.com/magasin-en-ligne/huile-moteur-5w40-diesel-5-litres-tech9

Originally Posted by YoYo0029
Hello,

A friend of my is restoring a 1988 very well equipped Mercedes 190 E 2.6 (6 cylinder M103).

[Linked Image]

In France, lots of Mercs enthousiats say that only semi-synthetic 10W40 is good for this engine, and that fully synthetic 5W40 (MB 229.5) is "too thin"...

Other thing that i read, is that M103 engine needs ZDDP, which is low in nowadays oils (API SN), whether 229.3 10W40 ou 229.5 5W40...

What do you thing about that ? The car has 145000 km at the odometer...

That can of oil might be better ?

https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-prod...m-protection-10w-40-synthetic-motor-oil/

Thank you !

I'd check with Total as a french oil it will be plentiful in France and also is an excellent motor oil, 2nd I'd go on the Liqui=Moly website and enter the car year & model and they'll tell you what is the right oil for this car.
I can't see how the 0W40 is too thin as its pumpability is faster than 10W40 and when at normal temperature they are both the same. The only thing that they may refer to is that 0W will drain more completely into the pan than 5W and thereby create a bit of clatter for a second or two upon start-up. I had a Benz that the factory recommended 0W40 but was happier with 5W40 in my climate.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Pelican

I can't see how the 0W40 is too thin as its pumpability is faster than 10W40 and when at normal temperature they are both the same. The only thing that they may refer to is that 0W will drain more completely into the pan than 5W and thereby create a bit of clatter for a second or two upon start-up. I had a Benz that the factory recommended 0W40 but was happier with 5W40 in my climate.

Too thin oils often leads to "bore polishing".....and when that advance.....you get higher oil consumption...

I dunno how is temperature
smile.gif
over the pond.....but for EU 10w40 viscosity is "spot on".....you only use 5w whatever because those oils are synthetic (because of turbo....longer intervals....etc)

Last edited:
I owned two 190E 2.6s, a '90 and a '91. I remember Mercedes was criticized when the model was first introduced because it was a "small" Mercedes, and therefore somehow "unworthy" of the brand. All nonsense, of course. The 190Es were built like tanks. They also were incredibly durable cars if they were serviced appropriately.

Almost forgot: I agree with Astro 14, Shell's Rotella is an excellent oil choice for these cars.

You need an oil Approved by MB 229.5.
I used the Amsoil 5W-40 Euro in my 190E 2.3, and it worked great.
LiquiMoly Leichtlauf 5W-40 worked ok, too. Would be easier for you to get.
I would stick to 5W-40 if it were me. Mine didn't like 0W-40 for some reason.

Good luck. We loved our 190! Regret selling it some days.

Thank you for your answers.

But I read that 229.3 and 299.5 are API SN oils, which means that they don't have enough ZDDP for this engine !

For my own Diesel 190, i use Shell 5W40 229.5 oil...

About this 190 E, it has an automatic gearbox, but also a lot of equipments : 4 electrics glasses, heated, electric seats (with memory), AC, airbag, grey leather, pneumatic rear suspension, ASD, extinctor, speed regulator, genuine Mercedes towing hook, rear speakers with Becker radio...

I ran a 1989 190e for 21 years and the original oil spec was 10W40 semi synthetic. For the last 10 years I switched to 5W40. If I still had it I'd happily run it on any 0W40 or 5W40 that met MB229.3 or better or even just Acea A3/B4.

First time I heard that MB engines of that age required high levels of ZDDP.

...and just for consistency the head gasket had started to fail when I let it go.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back