Memory Stick Not Showing Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
Hi,

I have a Kingston 1GB stick that I keep a few files on for portability. Tonight I plugged it into my computer, and immediately it said that it was incorrectly removed. I didnt do a thing... Now it no longer shows up/mounts.

When I go into information related to my USB bus, I get this:

USB HD:

Capacity: 1 GB (1,000,341,504 bytes)
Removable Media: Yes
Detachable Drive: Yes
BSD Name: disk1
Product ID: 0x1f00
Vendor ID: 0x13fe (Phison Electronics Corp.)
Version: 1.10
Speed: Up to 480 Mb/sec
Location ID: 0x26200000
Current Available (mA): 500
Current Required (mA): 200
Partition Map Type: MBR (Master Boot Record)
S.M.A.R.T. status: Not Supported
Volumes:
Capacity: 1 GB (1,000,325,120 bytes)
Writable: Yes
File System: MS-DOS FAT32
BSD Name: disk1s1

So the computer knows that it is there, but the HD doesnt mount up. What gives? Any suggestion? Im working on a Mac.

FYI I did run disk utility and verified/repaired the disk. It still shows not mounted though it knows that there are a certain number of files and whatnot...

Thanks!

When I remove a USB stick "too soon" on my Windows PC, a prompt pops up next time I plug it in, that tells me so, and it asks to do a "scan" of sorts....I think it's equivalent to the Windows "Scan Disk" program....

I'd try unplugging the stick again.

Shut down PC
Restart.

Plug dongle in.

Done that multiple times. It is not mounting. Something is corrupt in the FAT32 file system it seems.

Ive tried a number of different file recovery software products, none work well. Im looking for one excel sheet and one moneydance finances document, and it all comes up as text files and nothing works right.

Ugh.

I've had a few die running portapps...then the machines don't see them at all.

There's a technique that I've seen work once (and only once) is to map a network drive, looking for the stick. Had to reformat afterwards anyway.

I've got a few dead sticks.

Start>Control Panel>Administrative Services>Storage>Disk Mgmt>

In the bottom pane you may see a 1G disk. Right clicking on it will allow you to either assign a drive letter (probably not, but worth a shot) or format. That way even if you can't save your data, you will regain use of the disk.

Use the following free version of the file recovery program.

Link to Web Site

Both Windows and MAC/OS versions.

It should recover your data for you.

I always keep a couple of copies of stuff as it seems it is not a question of if but when?

Post your results.

Originally Posted By: SrDriver
Use the following free version of the file recovery program.

Link to Web Site

Both Windows and MAC/OS versions.

It should recover your data for you.

I always keep a couple of copies of stuff as it seems it is not a question of if but when?

Post your results.

+1

If it is a file system failure the best is to try recover software like these as early as possible.

If you dont need anything off it, I'd junk it. replacement cost is less than 5$ and sometimes they just die.

I've had a 8gb get washed 2x and it still works great 3years now....
and a brand new verbatim data clip mini that died after 3 months of light use.

The ONLY software that remotely worked to recover files in a usable form was "test disc", which is a command line program which I got from the writer:

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk_Download

It got most stuff. My excel sheet with my oil analysis results was not recoverable though. I think I have it backed up elsewhere though...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back