Memorial Day

Status
Not open for further replies.
Each memorial day I post a rememberance of my neighbor, Billy Dorsey. Billy was killed, at the age of 22, on November 20, 1966 in VietNam.

I knew Billy's brother, Beano, much better than Billy as Billy was 10 years older than me. My only real recollection of Billy was him walking up the street past the side of my house and nodding a hello to me. I believe he must have been home on leave at that time.

His family held his wake in their house up the street and I truly don't recall much talk in the neighborhood. I guess most of the parents in the neighborhood were fearful that one day they might be grieving the way the Dorseys were at the time.

In any case, Billy was the only person I ever knew to die in the service of this country. It's the least I can do to remember him.

Thank you for remembering him, by doing so, you remind us all of the reason for Memorial Day.

I think of my two uncles killed during World War II. My Dad was very close to both of them and to this day, still talks about them often - so even though they died before I was born, it's like I knew them both.

In Memory of Robert G. Fischer, fighter pilot flying a P-51 Mustang - shot down and killed August, 1944.

In Memory of Logan A. McNeil, infantry, killed in action in October, 1944.

May we never forget the sacrifices they made and may they rest in eternal peace.

My thanks and admiration go to ALL of you who are veterans of any war, conflict, or police action. This includes those of you who served in the military and were simply ready to be in harm's way. Your selfless acts have earned my respect and I wish you success in all of your endeavors.

Years ago, at an industrial society I was a member of, I met a fellow that went by the nickname of "Jolly". He was a smallish guy, but big on life. Jolly lived up to his nickname, always happy, always a good spirit. Time passed and I read his obituary in a small trade paper. I was SHOCKED to learn he was a ball turret gunner in WWII! I guess he, like many other men of that time, thought they were just doing their part, doing what needed to be done.

An interesting History Channel video on the ball turret gunner.

Stories continue to come out. My father never talked much about WWII. If he did, he never made a big deal of it to me (then fairly young). My older brother recently related a few words our father had mentioned to him about the Hitler Youth and how it had brainwashed so many young Germans, and how it had to be dealt with on the battlefield. With a brief Internet search, I understood a little better.

These guys (and I include all the Allied forces) extinguished a fire that was sweeping the planet. They were drawn into the most hostile and brutish conditions imaginable. They did their job, and they did it well. We live in a better, more just world as a result.

With great respect and gratitude,
that's a little bit of what Memorial Day means to me.

Have a good Memorial Day.

Aside from one who served in the Civil War, and maybe one or more in the Revolutionary War, I had two family members who served in WW II (my Dad and my uncle), one cousin in Vietnam, and my oldest sister served 20 years in the Army.

Thanks to all the veterans who have served the USA.

God Bless the American Soldiers who have paid the ultimate price defending our freedom in this Representative Republic.

Before you fold open the morning paper, before you wake the kids from their day off, before you tear open the package of brats for the grill, before you pop the top on your favorite beverage ...
Remember those who went before you, to pay the ultimate sacrifice.

Abraham Lincoln:
I pray that our Heavenly Father may assuage the anguish of your bereavement, and leave you only the cherished memory of the loved and lost, and the solemn pride that must be yours to have laid so costly a sacrifice upon the altar of freedom.

Thank you, and Godspeed to all.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back