Meguiar's Ultimate Wax - Report

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Evening To All,

I used UW on my 2005 Town & Country in Sep 2015, at the 10 week mark the UW was still beading/sheeting the water. I was bored today, so I re-did the car using it. It goes on very, very easy, and comes off the same way - it's nice that you don't have to feel you are pumping iron to remove the product.

Is beading/sheeting of water the true test of whether a sealant or wax is still doing its' job?

Any one out here that is using UW with a longer interval than 10 weeks?

Thanks,

I use Meguairs Ultimate Paste Wax once each season. Works well for me but I also wash the car every two weeks with their top tier soap and then a light coat of spray wax.

I don't like beading, it keeps water on the finish way to long, are there waxes that sheet instead of beading?

Meguiar's makes good stuff...and enough products to pick and choose favorites.
M105 and M205 plus a LSP works well for me.

Mr. Meguiar lives just down the street...and is a heck of a nice gent.

I follow nearly every wash with Meg's D156, the commercial gallon version of ultimate synthetic spray wax if I understand correctly. It goes on and off really easy. Seems to keep my base coat of Chemical Guys sealant doing its job. It also gets rid of any streaks when drying with microfiber.

Have any of you noticed excessive dust issues with the Ultimate line of products? I put on 2 coats of ULW (1 week apart), plus use D156 and D135 on occasion. After a couple of days, there seems to be a noticeable build up of dust on the surface.

Anyone seen something similar?

Originally Posted By: Tempest
Have any of you noticed excessive dust issues with the Ultimate line of products? I put on 2 coats of ULW (1 week apart), plus use D156 and D135 on occasion. After a couple of days, there seems to be a noticeable build up of dust on the surface.

Anyone seen something similar?
It gets dusty the next day after I wax it but once I wash it, dust doesn't attract anymore.

Originally Posted By: RevRider
Good Evening To All,

I used UW on my 2005 Town & Country in Sep 2015, at the 10 week mark the UW was still beading/sheeting the water. I was bored today, so I re-did the car using it. It goes on very, very easy, and comes off the same way - it's nice that you don't have to feel you are pumping iron to remove the product.

Is beading/sheeting of water the true test of whether a sealant or wax is still doing its' job?

Any one out here that is using UW with a longer interval than 10 weeks?

Thanks,

A good quality synthetic wax like Meg's UW should have no problem lasting 10 weeks. If the paint was properly prepared before application, and if something like a Wax-As-U-Dry is used after most car washes, I would expect the UW to last much longer than 10 weeks actually...barring extreme circumstances, I don't think 6 months is an unreasonable expectation in that scenario.

Good Afternoon To All,

I used MUW initially on 9/5/15, and reapplied it on 11/14/15. I washed the vehicle today, and there wasn't an ounce of product left on it, no sheeting or beading at all.

I live in Southern California, we just had a bout of heavy rains for about 3 days about 10 days ago and it appears the rain conquered the sealant.
shocked.gif

It lasted about 2 months, and couldn't make it through one round of rain.

I like the ease of application, I like the shine and the feel of the product, but I would have to say the longevity of it is disappointing.

The vehicle is a Town & Country mini-van, it's a big vehicle, and it's a lot of work to detail it correctly, so I was hoping for MUW to last 6 months, but at least 4.

I have been a Meguiar user for years, I like their product line, but I am thinking of trying something different in the Sealant or Carnuba Wax products.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

RevRider

Good Afternoon To All,

I used MUW initially on 9/5/15, and reapplied it on 11/14/15. I washed the vehicle today, and there wasn't an ounce of product left on it, no sheeting or beading at all.

I live in Southern California, we just had a bout of heavy rains for about 3 days about 10 days ago and it appears the rain conquered the sealant.
shocked.gif

It lasted about 2 months, and couldn't make it through one round of rain.

I like the ease of application, I like the shine and the feel of the product, but I would have to say the longevity of it is disappointing.

The vehicle is a Town & Country mini-van, it's a big vehicle, and it's a lot of work to detail it correctly, so I was hoping for MUW to last 6 months, but at least 4.

I have been a Meguiar user for years, I like their product line, but I am thinking of trying something different in the Sealant or Carnuba Wax products.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

RevRider

For the wax to reach maximum life expectancy, the paint will need to be well prepared before wax application. Removing any bonded contaminants with clay or a nanoskin would be ideal, but at the very least I would use some sort of pre-wax cleaner or polish to remove any remnants of prior waxes and leave paint ready for a new application of UW. I would think that should yield several months of protection, assuming the application was done in temps above 55F and with relatively low humidity.

Also, it is best if water can be kept from contacting the surface during the first 24 hrs after application, e.g. rain, car wash, etc.

I use a Wax-as-U-Dry after each car wash as well, but that's not a requirement unless trying to stretch the wax life into >6 months.

I will echo Nuke.

Properly prepped, Meg's UW or ULW should last a solid 4 months with just washing with a proper car soap.

Using D156 or Ultimate Wash n Wax soap, this sealant should make 5+ months easily.

Meg's Ultimate Wax, in either paste or liquid, is the best OTC sealant on the market, hands down. If you are getting only 2 months, the vehicle needs to be clayed and/ or polished. Polish could be a paint cleaner with no abrasives or a finishing polish, with abrasives. Your choice.

Thank you for the responses, but the vehicle was properly prepped by washing, claying, polishing and then applying the MUW.

I use the Meguiar Gold Class soap to wash the vehicle, so nothing can be done to further to get the vehicle ready for the sealant.

I like Meguiar's products, but the reality is that the heavy rains for 3 days did it in.

RevRider

Regardless of prep Meguiars Ultimate Wax (paste version) has NEVER lasted more that 10-12 weeks on any of my vehicles stored outside in Florida regardless of one or multiple coats.

I am thinking of trying the Klasse product for my sealant option.

I also use a carnuba wax on my motorcycles, Meguiar's M26, I do like the old-school paste wax approach.

Any Klassen users who want to comment?

RevRider

I use Meguiar's Ultimate then go over with Pinnacle black fire on the black car.

Meguiar's is awesome and lasts a long time. I think it actually beads better than the $199 Pinnacle.

In my area, we have experienced 18" of rain over the past 45 days... 3 days of rain is nothing. Meg's ULW has been on my wife's car since November. Still going strong. I used D156 once.. wash with Meg's Hyper Wash. Again, something is wrong in the process if you are only getting 60 days out of the product.

I am thinking of trying the Klasse product for my sealant option.

I also use a carnuba wax on my motorcycles, Meguiar's M26, I do like the old-school paste wax approach.

Any Klassen users who want to comment?

RevRider

Not a Klasse user, but Duragloss would likely offer similar results for about half the money. I would try #105 or #501. Can get even better longevity by mixing with #601 bonding agent.

I don't think applying the product requires a degree in chemical engineering, I prepared the vehicle surface appropriately:

1. Washed vehicle with Meguiars Gold Classic shampoo.
2. Used Meguiars clay bar.
3. Used Meguiars Ultimate polish.
4. Applied Meguiars Ultimate Wax according to the directions.

What is left to do?
crazy2.gif

Is it possible the product just didn't hold up? I have been and continue to be a customer of the Meguiar products, not trying to "rag" on the good folks at Mequiars - just stating a fact of my experience on this product. I plan to use it on my 3 other cars also for further testing.

RevRider

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back