Meguiars ScratchX

Status
Not open for further replies.
From using a good orbital buffer. Speed is everything. ScratchX takes a lot of motion to make it work, and it only works on very light scratches at that. For the money, there are better products.

I used Meguiars ScratchX to polish my rather expensive classical guitar. It did a beautiful Job. I could detect no problems at all. It probably wouldn't be a good idea to do this on a "french polish" (shellac) finish but with laquer or nitrate varnish ,it works great. This would lead me to believe thats it's too mild an abrasive for any serious automotive scratch issues. I think Meguiars is covering it's rear by limiting the possibility of damaging an automotive finish with a product specifically designed for consumer application. Their pro stuff probably is more aggresive but it's supposed to be used by people who know what they're doing.
Ed

Just making sure... but you are applying wax right after using ScratchX, right? If you use it and evaluate the results you will be very disappointed.

I used it on my hood to get rid of TONS of light marks made by those manual car wash brushes. It's not perfect, but it looks alot better than it did.

I haven't used the Meguirs' product, but Mother's Scratch Remover works miracles even on deep scratches buffed out by hand.

I saw the Mother's at Pep Boys when I bought the ScratchX. It was even cheaper. Next time, I'll try it. So waxing the car after the application of ScratchX is optimal?

quote:

Originally posted by kansaisubaru:
I saw the Mother's at Pep Boys when I bought the ScratchX. It was even cheaper. Next time, I'll try it. So waxing the car after the application of ScratchX is optimal?

Yes, I think it even includes that on the back of the bottle. I tried ScratchX by it's self and wasn't impressed. I did it again following it up with Meguiar's Deep Crystal Carnauba Wax per one of their rep's suggetion and it made a big difference.

I even used it on one that was down to the primer (black paint, white scratch). It didn't completely remove it, but it looks whole lot better than it did. Turned it from a deep scratch to a hairline scratch so it's much less noticeable.

I've decided ScratchX stinks. It seems to work great when applied, but the effect seems to disappear after just a couple of days. I'm using NXT on top of it. Am I doing something wrong here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back