Meg's Clear Plastic cleaner & polish to repair CDs

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 3 y.o. is fairly imprecise when she puts CDs into her CD player. I didn't have the foresight to rip copies of them and save the originals.

Anyhow, I am trying to rip her favorite one, and I've lost 2 tracks to errors. The CD is visually scuffed but not scratched.

I have the meguiar's clear plastic cleaner and the clear plastic polish. Has anyone had any success with this? It does wonders on tail-lights.

Any thoughts on whether using this would permanently damage the CD? I'd hate to pay the royalties all over again for the sake of 25 cents worth of scratched media.

I have used auto paint polishing compound and wax to restore CD's and DVD's, and yes it does work on mild scratches. Be sure to apply the material by rubbing back and forth between the center and edge of the disk as opposed to around the center. This will avoid inducing scratches that could confuse the laser tracking.

I have used PlastX on DVDs with some success. Be careful of which cloth you use. You may see additional very very light scratches, but it does reduce the larger ones. Spongebob no longer skips/freezes.

I use Novus #2 Fine Scratch Remover all the time on rental DVD's that freeze my player. After a rinse, I follow up with their plastic polish spray. I've also had great luck with Ultrabright toothpaste as a scratch remover. Cheap too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back