Mechanic won’t use oil I’ve chosen

But it is on the internet now...

The key here is what does his contract say, i cannot believe anyone would enter into this sort of contract without some stimulations about frequency of service in it...

Need to figure out if he is in breech of contract and also if the contract says parts are supplied at cost?

We did not write the contract. It was grandfathered in when we bought the company.

How much would it cost you to get out of the contract early?

How much is YOUR time and the manager’s time costing the company in excess of what it should were you not pulling baby sitting duty?

He is starting to feel the pressure. He is going to feel it even more when the manager watches him replace 5 air filters and writing down the mileage and unit number for me to enter into the computer.

With the new information you posted about your business relationship with him and the status of your fleet-

A) he fixes what breaks- nothing more, nothing less.
B) Each vehicle should be pre-tripped and post tripped. If they are low on fluids then the drivers are not pre-tripping.
C) How do the drivers get fuel? How do you know they arent getting 10 gallons in cans each day? Do you have records of fuel at least?
D)marking up parts could be a violation of the contract... if he is getting away with that then its a poorly written contract.

E) You complained about trans fluid being black- how does anyone know when or what to do? Is there a maintenance schedule? Does someone have it marked on a calendar somewhere?

I could go on but that fleet is not being managed properly. The fact that someone hired you to get it under control means that the fleet is important.

The drivers are not supposed to be checking fluids. That was their job under the old ownership, and they failed at it miserably.
The mechanic is supposed to be checking fluids once a week. And then if something is amiss he tells us and we schedule it to be off the road.
If it is vital, or safety related, it comes off the road then.
Drivers USED to have company credit cards, we did away with that because some were buying cigarettes and snacks everyday.
We now use a fleet fuel card. They can only buy fuel and pump DEF. They must enter the mileage and their own PIN# so we know exactly how much fuel they purchased.
For the toll road each unit has a transponder.

To replace the entire fleet would be around 1.3 million dollars, so yeah…the fleet is important.

He is starting to feel the pressure. He is going to feel it even more when the manager watches him replace 5 air filters and writing down the mileage and unit number for me to enter into the computer.
Babysitting isn’t the answer. I would look into getting a new mechanic right meow. Pay this dude to buy out his contract and move on with your lives.

Personally, he wouldn't be touching my vehicles. He WILL NOT change. There has to be another place or person you can hire as fleet maintenance manager

It's already been said, but based on what we've heard so far, I wouldn't be surprised if this guy starts to sabotage the vehicles. I'd end the contract asap.

He does not have time to shop for oil. He is going to the place 5 min from the shop, walking in and saying “hey Bill, I need 8 qts of…” and then walking out the door and handing me the bill for the oil.
He is going to do what is easiest for him.
He will not stay within a budget. I can’t even get him to write down when he does what.
Find a replacement

Edit. Didn’t realize there was 5 pages of people saying to fire him when I wrote this

It's already been said, but based on what we've heard so far, I wouldn't be surprised if this guy starts to sabotage the vehicles. I'd end the contract asap.
My feelings exactly. At this point, with the exchange between this guy and the OP, taking him out of the purchasing etc. the set up for a spiteful retaliation is tremendous. I wouldn't have the time or the energy to be concerned with what he might/could do. Trust me there's a lot he can do, and a lot can take time to figure out and be tough/impossible to prove. I'd find a way to diplomatically [if possible] end the relationship, move on, and learn by it.

I didn’t read all pages, but does the mechanic belong to a union? I’m a Teamster semi mechanic and I don’t get such freedoms nor should I.

I like the idea of giving a week off. Document all the trucks with past due air filters, document low fluids on as many vehicles as you can. When he comes back, as him for the service history on a few trucks, if he can't provide it, send him out the door instantly.

As others said, start looking for a new shop guy now. Sounds like you should be buying oil by the drum, not by the bottle.

You guys do not even know this guy and you are firing him. Terrible.

Set the guy up with new rules and procedure and give him a chance to start following them.
The OP Spike555 mentioned he hadn't even talked the guy much at all.
Need a sit down and set expectations. and do quarterly performance review,

Man, what a BUNCH of bad managers most of you guys would make!

Not only firing him, but looking into possible theft charges.

As a business owner, I had one employee who was caught stealing through his company issued credit card. After realizing it, and documenting what was happening, he was charged. Not to mention fired...

These days in my hobby, I oversee several highly skilled mechanics. In that role it's mostly just making sure things are done properly, as lives are potentially in danger if they aren't. If they were caught stealing, they'd be fired immediately too.

You guys do not even know this guy and you are firing him. Terrible.

Set the guy up with new rules and procedure and give him a chance to start following them.
The OP Spike555 mentioned he hadn't even talked the guy much at all.
Need a sit down and set expectations. and do quarterly performance review,

Man, what a BUNCH of bad managers most of you guys would make!

That’s just it, I have met him in the middle by providing him with the motor oil he is willing to use, he is still buying parts but I am supplying fluids and filters.
When he tells me something is back ordered I find a suitable supplier that can get me the part ASAP, if even at a slightly higher cost and then I drive it down to him or have it shipped to him.
If I get the part locally here in the larger city I drive it down. If I order online I have it sent to a manager down there, they give it to him.

I’m not just going to fire the guy, he is getting a chance to “fall in line” so to speak.
He went from working for a company that didn’t give two ****s to one that does. It’s going to take some time for him to catch up. I understand that. I am giving him the chance.

Is this guy employed by you to be YOUR mechanic in your building, or does he have his own shop and is contracted to be your maintenance provider, and you are simply one of his customers?

It is HIS shop, WE pay for the lease on the building. If we let the lease run out, he has to move on or take it over himself.
We pay him to prioritize our equipment In all manners, maintence and repairs.

I like the idea of giving a week off. Document all the trucks with past due air filters, document low fluids on as many vehicles as you can. When he comes back, as him for the service history on a few trucks, if he can't provide it, send him out the door instantly.

As others said, start looking for a new shop guy now. Sounds like you should be buying oil by the drum, not by the bottle.

I buy oil by the case from a supplier. I can’t buy it by the drum because I can’t be sure he won’t use it on others equipment and not pay me for it.
I’d be fine supplying the oil for him to use for others if I could count on him to mark it up a little and make it worth my while.

Right now, buying it by the case is cheaper per gallon than by the drum.

Back