Mechanic won’t use oil I’ve chosen

I understand what you’re saying, but have you tried to find employees right now? The choices are almost zero.
I got injured about 21 years ago and had to go on disability about 16 years ago so I've been out of the workforce for a long time. I can see by all the help wanted signs in my area that lots of people just aren't interested in working. This is the most job openings I've seen in this area in 40+ years. For years I wanted to relocate from NC back to KY where I'm from. With construction being limited in this area and a shortage of jobs that were suitable for my wife we didn't move back to KY until after my accident. My dad passed away in June, 2010 and with me being disabled we decided we were going to do everything possible to move back here so we could help my mom. In September 2010 the Lord worked everything out perfectly, my wife applied for a job where they had a pretty high turnover rate and they offered her a part time job with a promise of full time when they got an opening. She accepted their part time job offer and during the time she was working her two week notice for her previous employer in NC they called and said they had a full time position open if she wanted it. She finished working out her notice we moved 500 miles over the weekend and she started to work at her new job on Monday. She worked there until about 2-3 years ago when she was offered a better paying job in the school system with state benefits.

Last edited:
Really, the guy needs to go, and he will, but whatever the purchase “agreement” was is allowing/forcing him to stay. So I wonder exactly what those terms are? You said “free” rent/lease/whatever, in exchange for maintaining the vehicles...what does that equate to in money? Is it a $2,000 a month place? $3,000? $4,000? $10,000? More? Less? How many bays? I imagine it’s a one door, couple lifts stacked behind each other type setup, maybe? And most importantly, how many vehicles is he required to maintain? Did you say 20?

My understanding is you are not actually paying him for the services/repairs, so of course he’ll need to pull in a certain amount of outside work to provide himself (and his assistant) a decent living. This^^^ right here is NEVER going to allow your trucks/business to be a focal point. You are really going to struggle to get the service you desire. And especially if you want repairs done your way, that’s like going to a restaurant and brining your own chicken and then telling the chef how you want it cooked (when the chef is more interested in the other paying customers).

Question really becomes...will it be cheaper to rent out that space and take the vehicles to an independent and then tell THEM how how you want it maintained and repaired? Because chances are, it won’t be. Tough to schedule work on when you need it, and only have those vehicles down for a short amount of time. I’ve worked in dealers, we have had fleets come in for service...and yes, they want the vehicles back FAST. Usually so fast that they would rather drive the vehicles in horrible condition than actually get them repaired correctly, or at all. Time is money (for both parties). And of course prices are high (for both). So, I think it’s tough (but doable) if you can find the right person to do work quickly, and exactly the way you want. But you know that isn’t going to happen, you need a fleet mechanic. And that requires space. Your space. And that also requires money because people have choices right now, there’s jobs everywhere and quite honestly, people are just flat out leaving the trade and becoming plumbers, HVAC guys, electricians...and they’re making a lot more money.

Unless you put a reputable tech in that rental space, and pay him $70,000 grand to do things exactly the way you want? I think you’re always going to run into various issues with repairs NOT being done the way you want. What I’d do is rent the place out to someone/something else, and find a local independent that is willing to do repairs for you (and I wouldn’t tell them how I want those repairs done). Just my opinion. Because I’m picturing a $3,000-$10,000 a month rental unit making up for cost of repairs and some of those headaches going away as well. But I could be wrong, usually am. 🤣

Last edited:
Really, the guy needs to go, and he will, but whatever the purchase “agreement” was is allowing/forcing him to stay. So I wonder exactly what those terms are? You said “free” rent/lease/whatever, in exchange for maintaining the vehicles...what does that equate to in money? Is it a $2,000 a month place? $3,000? $4,000? $10,000? More? Less? How many bays? I imagine it’s a one door, couple lifts stacked behind each other type setup, maybe? And most importantly, how many vehicles is he required to maintain? Did you say 20?

My understanding is you are not actually paying him for the services/repairs, so of course he’ll need to pull in a certain amount of outside work to provide himself (and his assistant) a decent living. This^^^ right here is NEVER going to allow your trucks/business to be a focal point. You are really going to struggle to get the service you desire. And especially if you want repairs done your way, that’s like going to a restaurant and brining your own chicken and then telling the chef how you want it cooked (when the chef is more interested in the other paying customers).

Question really becomes...will it be cheaper to rent out that space and take the vehicles to an independent and then tell THEM how how you want it maintained and repaired? Because chances are, it won’t be. Tough to schedule work on when you need it, and only have those vehicles down for a short amount of time. I’ve worked in dealers, we have had fleets come in for service...and yes, they want the vehicles back FAST. Usually so fast that they would rather drive the vehicles in horrible condition than actually get them repaired correctly, or at all. Time is money (for both parties). And of course prices are high (for both). So, I think it’s tough (but doable) if you can find the right person to do work quickly, and exactly the way you want. But you know that isn’t going to happen, you need a fleet mechanic. And that requires space. Your space. And that also requires money because people have choices right now, there’s jobs everywhere and quite honestly, people are just flat out leaving the trade and becoming plumbers, HVAC guys, electricians...and they’re making a lot more money.

Unless you put a reputable tech in that rental space, and pay him $70,000 grand to do things exactly the way you want? I think you’re always going to run into various issues with repairs NOT being done the way you want. What I’d do is rent the place out to someone/something else, and find a local independent that is willing to do repairs for you (and I wouldn’t tell them how I want those repairs done). Just my opinion. Because I’m picturing a $3,000-$10,000 a month rental unit making up for cost of repairs and some of those headaches going away as well. But I could be wrong, usually am. 🤣

He gets a salary.
We are currently looking for a new mechanic.
I am going back down there next week for the week and I am going to talk to a mobile fleet guy who I have seen around.
He is getting paid, we pay him to work on and prioritize our fleet. He came with the purchase of the delivery company.
He can also work on others trucks, but ours get priority.
This is not an arraignment we wanted.
There were bigger problems that had to be handled first.
When my boss bought the company he knew very little about the business. He knows nothing about vehicles, how long a repair should take, etc.
That is why he asked me to start traveling between the two buildings.
I’ve been in the business for 30yrs. I am one hell of a shade tree mechanic and I enjoy making things last way longer than they are supposed to.
And because I know these things the drivers, their managers and the mechanics can’t BS me. I will call their bluff and set them straight in a diplomatic manner and with corporal punishment if it comes to that.

That’s why I started this thread, I already knew the answer, but I wanted confirmation and was giving him the benefit of the doubt.
So I have met him in the middle and I am biding my time until he can be replaced.
And if that means I have to do the smaller things like replacing air filters and batteries myself, then so be it, I will do those things.

Tell him to got to Walmart and buy the oil at a much better price.

I would not run 15W/40 in everything - so I agree with him there. Run what the vehicle is spec'd for and 15w/40 in a 5w/20 application is not a good idea.
I have always run what the manufacturer says to use regardless if I agree or not. The only thing I used to do was try and investigate different brands until I found something I trusted.

He gets a salary.
I am going back down there next week for the week and I am going to talk to a mobile fleet guy who I have seen around.
He is getting paid, we pay him to work on and prioritize our fleet. He came with the purchase of the delivery company.
When my boss bought the company he knew very little about the business. He knows nothing about vehicles, how long a repair should take, etc.
I’ve been in the business for 30yrs. I am one hell of a shade tree mechanic and I enjoy making things last way longer than they are supposed to.
And because I know these things the drivers, their managers and the mechanics can’t BS me. I will call their bluff and set them straight in a diplomatic manner and with corporal punishment if it comes to that.

That’s why I started this thread, I already knew the answer, but I wanted confirmation and was giving him the benefit of the doubt.
So I have met him in the middle and I am biding my time until he can be replaced.
And if that means I have to do the smaller things like replacing air filters and batteries myself, then so be it, I will do those things.
You sound like me. Shade Tree mechanic who can make a Service Manager blush when they try the BS upsell or really twist the brain of these new so called "service writers" the dealerships now use that require zero automotive knowledge it appears but a lot of BS to raise your bills....

He gets a salary.

Document everything from here out. Keep a log of what you do, pics of things like the cameras installed wrong, and pics where you installed them right. Dates times of conversations and a summary of the conversation.

You sound like me. Shade Tree mechanic who can make a Service Manager blush when they try the BS upsell or really twist the brain of these new so called "service writers" the dealerships now use that require zero automotive knowledge it appears but a lot of BS to raise your bills....
Weird, I spent over 10 years as a tech before I became an advisor. I guess I should have just watched a bunch of infomercials and learned how to baffle people with bullpoop instead. At least it saved me from blushing in amazement of some customers infinite knowledge.

Sell the building, charge him for rent or kick him out and put in a tech who is your employee. Either way the arrangement is not a good one for either of you. I’m more convinced of that the further this thread goes on.

Expect to pay a decent tech 50k a year plus benefits. You may very well get someone good that’s just tired of flat rate, 6 day work weeks and the general dealership bs for that.

Weird, I spent over 10 years as a tech before I became an advisor. I guess I should have just watched a bunch of infomercials and learned how to baffle people with bullpoop instead. At least it saved me from blushing in amazement of some customers infinite knowledge.
Excuse me. Shade Tree mechanic to me (over 40 years hands on + tech schools in industrial & automotive but no formal degrees) is NOT used as an insult. I call myself one because I have zero degree. Someone? called themselves that. I agreed with their comments. It would be a pleasure to bring an auto to someone qualified as you are and not deal with mid 20 year old advisors like they hire at some places with degrees in business or communications.

Not even close to the same thing.

One unit is $70k new. I need it to last 20 yrs. That is the expected service life. You re-grout your bathroom every couple of years, it’s not expensive to do and the grout brands are all pretty close in quality.

Motor oil‘s vary in quality by large margins. The minimum quality required will not provide the long term protection needed to maximize service life of the units.

Eh, regrouting isn't something that should have to be done. If the tiles are properly laid they shouldn't have movement, and on walls you shouldn't grout any corners, and instead use silicone as it can expand and contract and not crack. So if grout is cracking in your bathroom you generally have movement issues to worry about, and the grout cracking is just exposing those movement issues.

The only thing I've seen as a half measure fix in that scenario by regrouting is using an epoxy grout vs a cement grout due to handling movement better/giving some extra bonding strength to tiles that are moving still, but even then it's a half measure and not guaranteed.

The TCNA (Tile Council of North America) claims properly installed tile should last 50 years, with no regrouting during that time. Of course if grout has been left to get moldy/stained and no cleaner can take it out, that's way outside of the issue, but that required maintenance (like an oil change) is cleaning it often, not a full on regrout.

I replaced 4 of the 5 air filters this morning. Did not get to the 5th truck before it left.
Does anyone want to guess the mileage on the engine that this dipstick belongs to?

Attachments

• DF0C8B99-EF75-48FF-AF6F-0256CBA9FC71.jpeg
    DF0C8B99-EF75-48FF-AF6F-0256CBA9FC71.jpeg
    147.4 KB · Views: 219
  • 8A56E0CD-0E66-4ED6-BE06-166632F49057.jpeg
    8A56E0CD-0E66-4ED6-BE06-166632F49057.jpeg
    149 KB · Views: 219
No, I always check fluids after they’ve been sitting all night, so no wiping needed. The dipstick on these is r-e-a-l-l-y long, like 3ft long.
You should see the transmission dipstick for an early to mid 80's Dodge Van, I used to work for a school system that had one with the slant 6 and it was way long, seemed like 1/2 as much that the vehicle was in length.

Back