Mazda to Use Compression Ignition, no Spark Plugs

Status
Not open for further replies.
My name is Carnac. People refer to me as the great Carnac because I have the ability to predict the future with amazing accuracy. So as a benefit to the posters of this topic, here goes:

The great Carnac predicts that we will not be seeing a gasoline powered engine using a compression spark for many a year to come.

A "compression spark" would presumably be some kind of piezoelectric device. Your prediction is probably accurate, but no one, as far as I can tell (and it can be hard to tell), was talking about that.

Come to think on't, I wonder if it has been tried on an engine?

I suppose the service life might be too short at that high a spark rate.

HCCI isn't diesel, nor does it have a spark.

The "homogenous" means that the air and fuel are intimately mixed. A diesel has a stream of injected fuel that has to mix with the air, and won't burn until the local mixture is goldilocks "just right". Means that there's a bunch of air that hasn't seen fuel, and a bunch of fuel that hasn't seen air. In the "just right" zone, the temperatures are similar to those that you would see with stoichiometric combustion, even 'though the total package is running very lean....there's your NOx. In the middle of the fuel stream, there's plenty of fuel that never gets hot enough to completely oxidise, so you get soot.

Spark ignition can be homogenous, but to avoid knock needs low compression.

So this takes the efficiency of high compression, and the cooler combustion of the same fuel load spread evenly over the air.

As to how they do it ???

Not sure...have seen some dinky piston arrangements that have like a "fire piston" that rapidly compresses a small portion of the mixture (think those piston fire lighters), which then spreads into the main charge...the small piston basically "detonates", and the flame is then spread into the main charge.

Originally Posted By: bioburner
Hydrogen, Already been around and shown in 2005. Nissan was showing off their fuel cell electric truck and had the 8 foot parabolic mirror to produce hydrogen into a bank in your garage. They were claiming it was cheaper to produce than internal combustion engine vehicle even including the generator because no need for transmission or exhaust emission etc etc. Best thing was if the power grid was low you could plug the truck into your home. Government have to figure out how to collect taxes and oil companies with no need to produce gasoline

Do you have any idea how much hydrogen an 8 foot diameter surface area would produce in a day ?

The hydrogen boondoggle is the equivalent of a shell game to fool the people who don't get science.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back