Mazda 0W-20 now SN------Eh Tu Mazda?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JDD

Went in to Mazda to get my regular purchase of Idemitsu Mazda 0W-20 SM oil since my stash is low and I have a OC coming up in a month or so on my Mazda3 and I look at the bottle and it is now SN. It does say on the back of the bottle that it is specifically formulated for Skyactiv engines, whatever that means (I do know that Skyactiv is the name of the new Mazda engines, but how this oil is made for those---I do not know). I will upload photos of the bottle tonight. But this is the change I was not looking forward to since the additive levels are supposedly restricted for the SN, like in the Toyota XOM sourced 0W-20. It's still made by Idemitsu USA and still says full synthetic, but does add "with Moly" on the front of the bottle. I am going to do a VOA on this oil and I would like suggestions as to which lab I should send it to for the best analysis. So let's hear it. I've only used Blackstone in the past. I am also going to do a UOA on the outgoing oil for comparison when I do the OC. I would like to send both samples to the same lab. So, any input would be appreciated. Don't know if this is new info or I am just late to the game on this change to SN for this flavor of Mazda oil.

Last edited:
Oh yeah--price jumped to about $9.50 a quart IIRC--- which is a couple bucks more than the SN. OUCH. I only bought one quart for the VOA.

Originally Posted By: JDD
It does say on the back of the bottle that it is specifically formulated for Skyactiv engines, whatever that means (I do know that Skyactiv is the name of the new Mazda engines, but how this oil is made for those---I do not know).

Skyactiv is a DI engine, isn't it? If so, for DI applications manufacturers often recommend the use of low volatility and low add pack oils in order to help reduce valve deposits. If I had a DI engine, I would be looking at such oils.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: JDD
It does say on the back of the bottle that it is specifically formulated for Skyactiv engines, whatever that means (I do know that Skyactiv is the name of the new Mazda engines, but how this oil is made for those---I do not know).

Skyactiv is a DI engine, isn't it?

Yes they are DI. I have a 2010 3 with the 2.0, so mine is not DI.

$9.50/qt? Buy the parts counter guy a six pack of beer, and you'll magically find you get the oil at cost. :)

Originally Posted By: dparm
$9.50/qt? Buy the parts counter guy a six pack of beer, and you'll magically find you get the oil at cost. :)

I do this everywhere i go. Well i dont buy them beer but i do talk with them and respect them and be a little bit mote friendly than the next person.

It gets me deals from any place i go. Subway, parts stores, video stores.

SN is pretty much SM+ not sure why we are seeing a trend in other posts saying otherwise.. they didnt reduce anything

I'll be interested in seeing the voa for this oil but its most likely nothing special.

Last edited:
I'm still looking for a lab recommendation for the VOA on the SN and and the UOA I am going to do on the SM coming out of the car------
As far as the price---it was listed at $11.xx---I looked at the monitor---and he marked it down to the $9 and change price I paid. I do smile and chat, but this counter guy was about 17 years old and I had never seen him before, so he was likely a new hire. So, buying him a beer was out
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: abycat
Originally Posted By: dparm

I do this everywhere i go. Well i dont buy them beer but i do talk with them and respect them and be a little bit mote friendly than the next person.

It gets me deals from any place i go. Subway, parts stores, video stores.

Video store!?

Originally Posted By: Rand
SN is pretty much SM+ not sure why we are seeing a trend in other posts saying otherwise.. they didnt reduce anything

I'll be interested in seeing the voa for this oil but its most likely nothing special.

IIRC, there was discussion/thread recently about the new SN Toyota 0W-20 being quite a bit different than the outgoing formula, Even though both are/were made by XOM. Maybe not about the amount of specific additives, but that the VI was down quite a bit and other speculated changes etc. This thread is geared more toward high moly, super high Viscosity Index OEM 0W20s like the Mazda and Toyota and not aftermarket oils in general.

Skyactiv engines require 0w-20. Saying this oil is "formulated for skyactiv engines" sounds like marketing jibber-jabber to me.

Well, I am looking into changing to Toyota 0W20 next fill for the Winter. The specs and the price are fantastic, but I am not terribly happy that it is made by EOM. I can't wrap my head around their history of high FE wear, it just doesn't appeal to me.

But, apparently Toyota engineers worked with the Tribologists at EOM to come up with their own formula, with a high VI.

Again, this is 5.30$ L oil. I trust Idemitsu more, I have Acura 0W20 SM in my stash I am looking forward to using that I got for 6.50 L.

I just can't find myself paying close to 10$ a litre for a common oil. Mazda is charging too much.

Love the "Harmful if Swallowed" warning on the front label. How am I supposed to lubricate my gastric system now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back