Maxlife Full Syn vs. Mobil 1 HM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,

Been lurking about 5 years now and finally decided to join in. I really enjoy the site and it is a daily read for me.

I recently replaced the turbo oil feed pipe on my 2011 Cruze with 115,000 miles. The O-ring was weeping oil which resulted in a nice stench. While replacing it I noticed the valve/cam cover gasket must be leaking slightly as well. I will probably replace this gasket eventually but I am considering switching to a HM syn as a preventative measure in case other seals are borderline as well. I have used QSUD @ 6-7K intervals up until now.

I had hoped PP HM would be on the shelves at Wal-Mart by now, but it isn't in my area at least. I am considering 5W-30 Maxlife full syn or Mobil 1 HM. Now I know that both are highly regarded by most and that my engine will not "grenade" with either one and that this is the usual BITOGer splitting of hairs. I am out of warranty and could use HDEO if I really wanted too
grin.gif
, but I am leaning toward ML since it is Dexos approved. However, M1 HM is highly touted as a stout oil. What do you all think is a better choice. Any one running either of these in a turbo Cruze?

Sorry for the long post. Thanks.

Welcome to the Forum!

Either oil is fine; buy whichever 30-weight synthetic is available. Also suggest 5K OCI's due to fuel dilution from the D.I. engine and turbo.

I'd wondered about the M1 zddp level. My uoa and the voa's on this site show it to only have in the 700-800 range while Mobil claims it to have 1100 I think?

Sort of a toss up. There was an XOM sales rep on here a few years ago and he actaully said good things about the MaxLife product. They do use some good seal conditioners. As does XOM. I'd use either without hesitation.

Have you considered the possibility of use diesel oil? Hear me out, they typically have higher anti wear additives, handle heat better, and more detergent.

Another option is a 0W/5W-30 synthetic in the winter and Mobil 1 0W-40 or Shell's Rotella T-6 in the summer.

Originally Posted By: volk06
M1 for extra zinc and phosphorus.

+1 to this. The M1 is a stouter oil; might as well use that in a turbo.

Not even close. It's an insult to M1 to compare it to Valvoline anything. M1 HM oils, especially the 10W-30 are some of the best oils available. Skip the Valvoline trash. No oil will fix your valve cover leak.

Originally Posted By: Oil Changer
Not even close. It's an insult to M1 to compare it to Valvoline anything. M1 HM oils, especially the 10W-30 are some of the best oils available. Skip the Valvoline trash. No oil will fix your valve cover leak.

Right on schedule.

I prefer the Valvoline MaxLife Fully Synthetic, but that's because it was the smoothest/quietest oil I ever used in my vehicle. Despite that, right now I'd suggest M1 HM so you can take advantage of the M1 rebates.

i just bought havoline hm oil because i prefer a non synthetic oil only cost $15 at walmart, you may want to consider it if you have reasonable oci

Unless you have some indication that things like the cam or crank seals are leaking, or these are known pattern failure items with this engine, I wouldn't worry about them or using an HM oil.
Replace the VC gasket at your liesure, since these ususally seep only a small amount of oil, continue with any 5W-30 syn and you should be fine.
We have another member here who owns one of these.
He's posted some UOAs from his that show this to be an engine that beats oil up pretty badly.
I'd therefore stick with a synthetic oil on conservative intervals, maybe no more than 7K.

Originally Posted By: Oil Changer

internet-trolls-experience-meaning-by-provocation-and-humiliation-ipredator.png

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I'd wondered about the M1 zddp level. My uoa and the voa's on this site show it to only have in the 700-800 range while Mobil claims it to have 1100 I think?

API oils are limited to 800 - 850 ppm Zinc, where does it say 1100 Zinc?

Originally Posted By: zpinch

Mobil 1 HM is labeled as SL rated. Also there is a product guide on Mobil's site that indicates 1000 ppm phosphorous. This was also confirmed by VOA performed by Petroleum Quality Institute of America. Results are on their site. This is part of the allure of Mobil 1 HM oils.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Unless you have some indication that things like the cam or crank seals are leaking, or these are known pattern failure items with this engine, I wouldn't worry about them or using an HM oil.
Replace the VC gasket at your liesure, since these ususally seep only a small amount of oil, continue with any 5W-30 syn and you should be fine.
We have another member here who owns one of these.
He's posted some UOAs from his that show this to be an engine that beats oil up pretty badly.
I'd therefore stick with a synthetic oil on conservative intervals, maybe no more than 7K.

You are right about beating up the oil. About 3 years ago there was a UOA posted for the ACDelco synblend factory fill. IIRC it was trashed a lot sooner than the 6-7k interval I follow with the QSUD (supported by my own UOA of course). Additionally I think any OTC syn would have trouble making it to 10k per olm in this car.

While researching the oil pipe issue on another forum someone mentioned leaks cropping up elsewhere at less miles than mine, so this is why I am thinking about the switch to a HM oil as a preventative. It may not do any good but I have nothing to lose by trying it out. It may only just delay the inevitable.

Originally Posted By: zpinch

https://mobiloil.com/~/media/amer/us/pvl/files/pdfs/mobil-1-oil-product-specs-guide.ashx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back