Massey Ferguson 135 - What hydraulic oil/spec?

I'm trying to figure out which hydraulic fluid is needed for "an old Massey Ferguson 135." I keep seeing M1129 and M1129A online for specs, but I'm not even sure of that.

Would it take a "universal" tractor oil? Or does it need a more specific fluid? Even more specifically, I'm wondering if this exact fluid would work..?

That was one of the first tractors I ever used. Well built old things. Our local Massey Ferguson dealer told us any UTF would work and we put Traveller UTF from Tractor Supply and NAPA's house brand UTF in it. Never had any problems.

I know UTFs will work, but the linked "Agricultural" fluid above is different than a UTF. It states it is a "20W" and "CARQUEST Agricultural Fluid is designed to lubricate various older systems that do not require a fluid as robust as CARQUEST Premium Tractor Hydraulic Fluid."

Here is an image of the back label from the "Agricultural" fluid:

20210517_134823.jpg

b4autodark - I know you said you'd use this fluid without hesitation. What difference is there between this and a UTF when considering the application?

JRed - if using a UTF was double the price, would you use this over a UTF? Or would you even use this fluid at all?

I'm sure CQ fluid will work fine. It's not like a 135 has a super sophisticated transmission or hydraulic system. We've gotten by with plenty of cheaper fluids for decades with no fluid related failures or issues at all, and yes that includes the dreaded "yellow bucket" 303 stuff too.

Why not use a UTF that includes the recommended M1129A spec. and/or the newer AGCO 821XL Permatran?
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/984086/Massey-Ferguson-Mf-135.html?page=42

I do not believe the OP's original link does this. That oil is a 20W oil and the recommended one is a 10W30, not to mention the add pack differences.

Back