marine oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have heard that marine oil has stuff in it to combat rust and moisture. It has a very high TBN. I was told that a deisel oil is the same oil as a marine oil. Usually outboard oil seems to be 10w-30 with rust inhibiters. Marine oil is usually 30w or 40w.

quote:

Originally posted by blano:
OUtboard oil is not 10W30. Its a tcw3 two cycle oil.

I have looked at the viscoscities of many outboard oils, they are thin, ususally in the 20W range.

Back to the original question, outboard oil is used to fight rust, carbon deposit and minimize piston scuffing and ring sticking. Check out following link to learn more about TCW3 outboard oil:
http://www.nmma.org/certification/programs/oils/

-Joe

q: what is special about marine oil?
a: the price.

for outboard oil, are you talking about 2-stroke oil for a 2-cycle engine or do you mean regular 4-cycle engine oil for a 4-cycle outboard like a Honda or Suzuki?

I have always run regular motor oil off the shelf from auto stores for the past 15 years in my boats. I just aquired a 2002 boat this year with a 3.0L 4cyl merc I/O. It had the factory merc 25w40 oil in it and I had it analyzed. It had sheared to a 30wt oil. If there's anything special about "marine" engine oil, it is most likely a 40wt or xw-40 to help the oil last under the high load and high rpm conditions marine engines typically see. There is viscosity break down, and with a 40wt oil there's a margin of safety (in my opinion) so that when it does shear to a 30wt oil it is okay because there is still adequate lubrication and protection with a 30wt oil. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but the SAE oil weight depends primarly on the engine, what is requires because of how it was built and what clearances/tolerances it has. But I believe all marine V-4 V6 and V-8 motors require a 30wt to 40wt oil. Largely in the past marine engines recommended use of straight 30wt oil- the monograde oils are less likely to break down in viscosity than multigrade (10w30) oils. I don't know what additive packages "marine" oils have in them other than merc 25w40 4-cycle marine oil analysis showed it had high levels of zinc and Mg (antiwears) and a high TBN. With TBN, I don't think you can go wrong with any quality automotive oil today unless you really negelect it though. I've been using them for the past 15 years with no problems, I have never used "marine" oil.

The Suzuki's have been very dependable, the largest released last year being 140 HP. This year at the Miami boat show they showed off a new V-6 250 HP 4-stroke outboard, the biggest in the marine industry to date.

From what I have heard from all the fellows running them, they love them. I believe the only model to be wary of is the 70, had a cam shaft problem early on, but I'm sure its been fixed by now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back