Marine Gear Oil for lower units

I have always believed that an over maintained boat is an enjoyable boat. I haven't had a boat since 2004.

Originally Posted by Bluestream
Its the same oil as automotive, no need to pay more.

This is a false statement- in many cases automotive gear oil is not the same as marine oil. See my opening statement on water emulsibility. That said, marine gear oil is pretty common and you can get it from many different vendors.
I was told to my face by a Mercury factory rep its the same oil. That's good enough for me. I have been using Automotive gear oil for 40 years (as have local Marinas)

I was told to my face by a Mercury factory rep its the same oil. That's good enough for me. I have been using Automotive gear oil for 40 years (as have local Marinas)
Well if that's true, then there is a pretty good reason to never buy Quicksilver's marine gear oil. Any formulator making a marine gear oil who isn't formulating for water emulsibility is either; negligent, ignorant, or just a plain ole' meanie......probably hates puppies too 🐶

I use quicksilver 90 weight h.p.
I need GL4 in my yamaha.
I used GL5 by mistake untill I learned better and it turned jet black

It’s important to note the manufacturer of the drive unit.
Volvo Penta only recommends their gear oil or Mobile Delvac 75/90 not a marine specific gear lube.

I have had a Volvo Stearn drive for 5 years. I have always run Mystic JT4. It states the it can be used in a Volvo Stearn drive.
I also run Mystic 10w40 in the engine.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 48
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 45
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 48
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 46
Merc HP went in my lower unit yesterday and it is, more than likely, the only gear oil I will ever use? (Quicksilver is the same stuff)

Attachments

• WP_20190910_14_08_07_Pro.jpg
    WP_20190910_14_08_07_Pro.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 39
I have been using Mystic lower gear lube in my Volvo Penta Stearn drive for 7yrs. Not an issue.

At the end of the season, I remove the lower plug and let any accumulated water dribble out along with a bit of lube. I then quickly clean the magnetic plug, put it back in and leave it for the winter. In the spring I drain it completely and put in fresh lube. Here is the paper towel showing a bit of water, some lube and the reside from the magnet. It’s a 27 year old Yamaha two stoke. Maybe I’ll change the seals, maybe not. :D

C6992B58-F6DC-4D7E-9615-521AC81E6D57.jpeg

This is my first Volvo Drive ever and I have been boating for ummm ... over 4 decades.
Owners manual specs Volvo Gear Lube of Mobile Delvac Synthetic 75/90 for the SX drive.

Im partial to Mecruiser ONLY because I know them so well, with that said, the Volvo SX, wow, very impressed so far, for the most part. Either way, to me outdrives are a PITA as time goes on and they age.

I have had Mercruiser for 10 or 15 years. New to me boat has a VP. Two things I like is the raw water pump is on the engine not stuck in the outdrive. And there is a bellows and a seal on the shaft to the outdrive. So a tear in the bellows will not sink the boat.

This VP engine has MPI and in order to warm up engine in 'N' at fast idle I need to go through some of the control options on the gauge vs just pull a knob to disengage the shift.

I just did a test of water contamination using regular gear oil, and marine gear oil. The test was for water emulsifying- will the gear oil keep the water in suspension ? All marine drives get some small amount of water contamination, so the goal is to keep it from damaging the drive.

Well- the marine gear oil did exactly as was claimed- it kept the water in suspension for over a week, while the regular gear lube let it settle to the bottom in hours. I used about .5 oz of water per 8 oz of oil for the test. I might get around to posting pics.
I would think its better for the water to sepatate, as water does not lubticate. Better have it at the bottom of the gear case, where it can be easly drained out. It the water stays in suspension you could have rusting on the bear metal surfaces. I have been using automotive gear oil since 1988 when I was told by a Mercury rep its all the same thing.

any automotive gear lube I have on hand, 1984 45 Merc tiller 'Classic Fifty' on a '85 Lund Predator...sits in water May-October...seals must be good.,,original owner.

I would think its better for the water to sepatate, as water does not lubticate. Better have it at the bottom of the gear case, where it can be easly drained out. It the water stays in suspension you could have rusting on the bear metal surfaces. I have been using automotive gear oil since 1988 when I was told by a Mercury rep its all the same thing.
Thinking that water separation is a benefit because the free water can be easily drained off is not necessarily a benefit in a recreational marine drive. Separation is only a benefit if the water is drained before every use. This is okay for trailered boats but not for ones kept in the water.

A marine gear oil can be formulated to form a stable emulsion and maintain anti-wear, EP/AS and rust/corrosion protection in the emulsified condition. These are requirements of the Merc gear oil spec which is a difficult spec to meet. While this is true, as the level of water contamination increases so does the rate of failure.

I don’t really know but I would think an OEM that is oaky with automotive oils is also dependent on the owner performing maintenance and repairs as needed.

Even if the boat is left in the water, any water in automotive gear oil will (in theory) settle in the bottom of the lower unit, and not stay suspended in the gear oil. If it did stay suspended, where it is in constant contact with metal gears and bearings, it will cause rusting and pitting. It won't do any harm sitting in the bottom of the gear case. Local large marinas around me, all use automotive gear oil.

Also, I had an 18 Evinrude for many years, that had a bad prop shaft seal, I always used automotive gear oil. When drained in the fall, a milkshake always came out, and the water was always in suspension with the gear oil so maybe automotive gear oil does not separate as you claim? There is no difference, but you can all believe what you want. Some people think Snowmobile oil is made special for snowmobile engines

Rebuild of VP duoprop is $6000. Two year warranty. Given I only need a few QTs of VP gear oil and it's maybe $15 a QT, it seems a no brainer.
Do you really think automotive gear oil will trash your $6000 lower unit? As in, its Ok for a lamborgini rear end, but not my boat lower unit

Last edited:
Do you really think automotive gear oil will trash your $6000 lower unit? As in, its Ok for a lamborgini rear end, but not my boat lower unit
I do believe there are additives to deal with minor amount of water that might get in a lower unit gear housing And my $6000 rebuild has a 2 yr warranty. So it will get VP outdrive gear oil.

As far as price goes is Amsoil SVG gear oil any cheaper than VP gear oil?

Back