Marathon Gas ???????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since Chevron has left the retail gas business all of my local Chevron stations have been replaced by Marathon. I have never used or even seen a Marathon gas station before. How is the quallity of Marathon gas?

It may not be a Top-Tier fuel but that doesn't mean it's dirty and clogs injectors or has a sub-standard additive package.

Not doubting what Critic said, but trying to offer another POV.

I'm not saying it's a bad fuel, just saying it is not a top tier fuel. I rarely buy Top Tier fuel myself anyway.

Ok I guess I read too much into your post...
cheers3.gif

It should be fine. Marathon is a "name brand."

Marathon is the descendant of The Ohio Oil Company, which was one of the broken-up Standard Oil subsidiaries. Today it's a moderately-sized vertically integrated oil company. Its main business is exploration and production.

Sunoco Canada has their own refinery up here provided by Suncor energy and uses a different supply than the U.S.

I know because my dad owns one.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: Johnny248
I wonder why Sunoco Canada is top tier, but US is not?

Because Sunoco Canada and Sunoco USA, the original, are two unrelated companies that split.

A few of those stations around here.
Don't get a lot of business. Not because of the gas though.
It's often 2¢ cheaper than the rest, but the problem seems to be
the people running them.
Around here, a lot of these stations are run by Indian families.
(from India). I guess some folks are suspicious or worse when it comes to foreigners.

Originally Posted By: dwendt44
A few of those stations around here.
Don't get a lot of business. Not because of the gas though.
It's often 2¢ cheaper than the rest, but the problem seems to be
the people running them.
Around here, a lot of these stations are run by Indian families.
(from India). I guess some folks are suspicious or worse when it comes to foreigners.

That's sad, up here in Ontario we have a lot of Indian new comers and they have integrated into our society quite well with with the typical white Canadian. We are big on multi-culturism though...
08.gif

I don't see many of them in So Cal. I paid with credit card at the pump, I only went in the station at less than 1% of the times so that I don't know/care who runs the station.

Marathon is an OLD producer. I used to live close to one of their refineries. Their old logo had a black panther on it. The brand was affectionately known as "Panther [censored]". It was OK. John--Las Vegas.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
I guess some folks are suspicious or worse when it comes to foreigners.

That's sad, up here in Ontario we have a lot of Indian new comers and they have integrated into our society quite well with with the typical white Canadian. We are big on multi-culturism though...
08.gif

I think that people in dwendt44's area are good-natured, and given time will embrace immigrant populations--if the immigrants in turn embrace the community. My experience with that area was that locals didn't like immigrants coming in to own or work at some business with the intention of getting the heck out of there when they've paid off their loans. Really, it's the lack of commitment to the community that they dislike, but for whatever reason they conflate it with xenophobia when they talk about it.

I had to laugh when I see the Marathon tv spots because they show an "Indian" in them. But they first claim..US owned

The major reason WHY these Indians get these franchises is because the US gov't allots interest free loans to such groups, while full blown US citizens don't get the same opportunity, this and the fact (from my own 25 years of experience) that many Indian owned businesses tend to be dirty and not well maintained.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Stu_Rock
Originally Posted By: StevieC
I guess some folks are suspicious or worse when it comes to foreigners.

08.gif

I think that people in dwendt44's area are good-natured, and given time will embrace immigrant populations--if the immigrants in turn embrace the community. My experience with that area was that locals didn't like immigrants coming in to own or work at some business with the intention of getting the heck out of there when they've paid off their loans. Really, it's the lack of commitment to the community that they dislike, but for whatever reason they conflate it with xenophobia when they talk about it.

Probably a two way street though. If you're in a place that you don't feel welcomed, then why stick around?

Originally Posted By: asiancivicmaniac
Probably a two way street though. If you're in a place that you don't feel welcomed, then why stick around?

That's an excellent point.

There are successful immigrant- or 1st-generation-owned small businesses there. The success stories are what prompted me to write my post above. I wish I knew how to make it work for everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back