Manual Transmission Fluid Change?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I changed the manual transmission fluid a few days ago in my Celica and I have a quick question in regards to the oil full level. The fluid was drained and refilled with the correct amount, 2 quarts. My car was level and when i topped it off and after removing the fill tube I let it drip out for about 3 minutes until the fill hole was just a slight drip every 5 seconds. I know the fill level it just at the fill hole and I was wondering if this would have any ill effect on the transmission level. I figure i put in about 1.7 quarts of new fluid in the transmission as some of the old fluid never "completely drains". I was just wondering when watching a lot of diy manual transmission fluid YouTube videos a lot of guys plug the fill hole while the fluid is running/pouring out of the fill hole, wouldn't this cause and over fill condition?

Any ill effects from having a little too much fluid? The level was just at the fill hole level.

Originally Posted By: mv6845
Any ill effects from having a little too much fluid? The level was just at the fill hole level.

Nah, you're fine. You didn't have to wait for the "drops" to stabilize either, that's just too much
wink.gif

Your way is correct. If oil higher than the fill plug was called for (the plugging of the gushing oil that your saw on Youtube), they'd just move the fill plug higher
smile.gif

Okay. I wasn't sure how long to wait. Waited for the drip to stop and didn't want to risk it being over full. Thanks again for the quick responses.

but you cant stop there.. what did you refill it with
smile.gif

this is an oil site
smile.gif

ps. you are fine.

Redline MT90, not sure what was in there. Was at 25K since new transmission and its been 4 years so I just swapped it out. Easy fluid exchange, will post when I get some more miles on it to see the results.

I would think that that you would have tiniver fill the thing a lot to have any negative affect. The tolerance on those fluid capacities can't be very high to begin with or else there would be a more accurate way of filling them. As long as there is enough oil in their for it to bsthe the gears, you should be fine.

For all the years I've been changing fluids, I've always just filled it to the point where it starts flowing out, and then cap it once that flow has turned into a trickle. Transmissions, differentials, transfer cases, marine lower units, etc. I've never had a failure to do fluid level. You are fine. Sleep soundly.

I would think that that you would have tiniver fill the thing a lot to have any negative affect. The tolerance on those fluid capacities can't be very high to begin with or else there would be a more accurate way of filling them. As long as there is enough oil in their for it to bsthe the gears, you should be fine.

For all the years I've been changing fluids, I've always just filled it to the point where it starts flowing out, and then cap it once that flow has turned into a trickle. Transmissions, differentials, transfer cases, marine lower units, etc. I've never had a failure to do fluid level. You are fine. Sleep soundly.

Originally Posted By: Marco620
Yep just as long as you can stick your pinky inside and feel oil then your good.

......... and that's what she said.

As long as vehicle was level and trans was cold, i wouldn't worry about it. Otherwise, recheck cold on a level surface and top off as needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back