Mannol Legend 0w30 Legit?

I drive a 2015 Audi b8.5 S4. I have had the car for a few years and love trying and researching different oil purely as a hobby.

I typically run VW 504 approved oils or better.

I keep a rotation and have used the following

Motul 300v 0w40
Pentosin Super speed 3 5w30
Mobil 1 ESP 5w30 or 0w30
Ravenol RUP 5w40
Ravenol VSW 0w30

Love all of the following oil. Price point isn’t a concern I run whatever I can find but lean towards the Ravenol Mobil or pentosin

I definitely notice less timing chain startup noise on the heavier 40wt oils.

I recently discovered Mannol and was intrigued by the price and fact that it’s PAO + Ester based and the price is suspect.

I bought and changed recently with the Legend 0w30 and the biggest argument I see is that is cheap and not a true synthetic hence the price point and not truly factory approved just suggested. However I did find it on the approved VW 504 approved oil list as of 2023.

Does anyone have experience with mannol ?

I will change every 4-5k so I think this oil could be a good fit for my application.

Here is the approvals list for reference:

IMG_0775.jpeg

IMG_0798.jpg

There are few VOA tests like one on Mannol Legend plus ester 0w40 with no ester to be found, other molibden gasoline 10w40 without moly to be found, or 5w30 JP Acea A5 with twice as much ZDDP than norm.. So you could never tell what is inside. But if you take a look at VOAs of major (serious) companies like Mobil, Castrol, Total, Petronas etc they are always pretty much same for the same oil no mater in which country test was made..

I’ve used a few Mannol products over the years with no issues. They’re cheap and often carry manufacturer approvals which when talking about bulk off the shell lubricants means more than what base stock it is or what VOA’s tell you.

Take a look at official bevo pages for MB 229.51 or 229.52. Only Mannol Combi 5w30 is on the list (229.51) which is probably a good oil. But where are the others? If you take a look at their oils, there are very few official approvals. Product line mostly claims specifications (misguiding ppl?) and IMO price difference is not that great to risk.

Price point isn’t a concern......
I recently discovered Mannol and was intrigued by the price ....

Price or not?

...and fact that it’s PAO + Ester based and the price is suspect.

"Fact"? It isn't. If there's a "fact", it's a scam. The answer:

There are few VOA tests like one on Mannol Legend plus ester 0w40 with no ester to be found, other molibden gasoline 10w40 without moly to be found, or 5w30 JP Acea A5 with twice as much ZDDP than norm.. So you could never tell what is inside.

Btw, what "Legend"? Mannol doesn't have any heritage to speak from. The vast
majority of forum members didn't knew this brand before, say, five years ago.

Here is the approvals list for reference:

See my signature and you'll have the current approval lists.

None of your links seem to be working. Giving me a forbidden error

Hey there! I'm intrigued by your oil enthusiast hobby! You've got an impressive list of high-end oils you've tried, and I'm curious about your experience with Mannol. I've heard mixed reviews about their PAO + Ester-based oils, but it's great to see they're on the VW 504 approved list. How's the performance been so far with the Legend 0w30? Have you noticed any differences compared to the other oils you've used?

Hey there! I'm intrigued by your oil enthusiast hobby! You've got an impressive list of high-end oils you've tried, and I'm curious about your experience with Mannol. I've heard mixed reviews about their PAO + Ester-based oils, but it's great to see they're on the VW 504 approved list. How's the performance been so far with the Legend 0w30? Have you noticed any differences compared to the other oils you've used?
Hey! Thanks for the reply. I just changed it out and put about 50 miles on the oil. Like I suspected the timing chain rattle is a lot more on first cold start but still within the normal noise Audi says is acceptable. Very similar to the Ravenol 0w30 VSW.

Engine runs much smoother due to it being a 30wt less engine shaking at idle.

I’m planning on sending in VOA and UOA once I hit enough miles.

I have sent an inquiry to SCT lubricants to get more technical info that’s not available publicly. What I’m trying to get to the bottom of is if this is truly ester + pao based which they claim. I’m not sure how they could get away flat out lying which seems to be the public sediment of this brand.

I’m also trying to find if blackstone can test for more specific additives like esters and the content.

I do have some peace of mind with it being VW 504 approved oil. If the oil doesn’t burn I’ll be happy with it. I never consumed oil running the VSW or pentosin. However the 300v and Mobil oils I do burn 3/4 of a quart over a 5k interval.

I’ll update once I do some more testing and send off for oil analysis.

That’s completely in your head then. Any oil with 504 00 approval has the same minimum HT/HS. Grade is pretty irrelevant as they can overlap.
I’m not arguing technical details. I’m saying the engine doesn't idle as rough with a thinner oil.

Hey! Thanks for the reply. I just changed it out and put about 50 miles on the oil. Like I suspected the timing chain rattle is a lot more on first cold start but still within the normal noise Audi says is acceptable. Very similar to the Ravenol 0w30 VSW.

Engine runs much smoother due to it being a 30wt less engine shaking at idle.

I’m planning on sending in VOA and UOA once I hit enough miles.

I have sent an inquiry to SCT lubricants to get more technical info that’s not available publicly. What I’m trying to get to the bottom of is if this is truly ester + pao based which they claim. I’m not sure how they could get away flat out lying which seems to be the public sediment of this brand.

I’m also trying to find if blackstone can test for more specific additives like esters and the content.

I do have some peace of mind with it being VW 504 approved oil. If the oil doesn’t burn I’ll be happy with it. I never consumed oil running the VSW or pentosin. However the 300v and Mobil oils I do burn 3/4 of a quart over a 5k interval.

I’ll update once I do some more testing and send off for oil analysis.
Hey, thanks for sharing your experience with the Mannol Legend 0w30 so far! It's interesting to hear about the timing chain rattle on first cold start, but good to know it's still within the acceptable range for Audi. I'm glad to hear that the engine runs smoother with the 30wt oil.

It's definitely worth sending in for a VOA and UOA to see how the oil performs over time. I'm also curious about the specific additives in the oil, especially the esters and PAO content. It's great that you've reached out to SCT Lubricants for more technical information.

I agree that it's important to have peace of mind with a VW 504 approved oil, and it's good to hear that you haven't had to consume oil with the VSW or Pentosin. It's definitely concerning if the oil burns more than expected, so it's good to keep an eye on that.

Hey, thanks for sharing your experience with the Mannol Legend 0w30 so far! It's interesting to hear about the timing chain rattle on first cold start, but good to know it's still within the acceptable range for Audi. I'm glad to hear that the engine runs smoother with the 30wt oil.

It's definitely worth sending in for a VOA and UOA to see how the oil performs over time. I'm also curious about the specific additives in the oil, especially the esters and PAO content. It's great that you've reached out to SCT Lubricants for more technical information.

I agree that it's important to have peace of mind with a VW 504 approved oil, and it's good to hear that you haven't had to consume oil with the VSW or Pentosin. It's definitely concerning if the oil burns more than expected, so it's good to keep an eye on that.
I was a little skeptical over this oil since from my research it looks like a group 3 with just PAO + Ester as a base. But to my surprise My timing chain rattle on startup is gone. Its be 20+ cold starts and it makes zero rattle now. Very strange since all other far superior oils dont suppress the noise like this oil does. I'll be curious to see how the VOA looks in 3-4k miles.

Back