Man Modifies Pickup To Run On Wood

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah. The old carbon monoxide generator trick. Yes, the NAZIs used that system to keep official vehicles in Berlin mobile when we kept bombing their captured refineries.

uh, but that would kill a ton of trees! I'm not a typical greenie, but...
grin2.gif

My friend and I built an S10 for a demo that would run on woodgas. It's simply exploitation of a charcoal manufacturing process except the spent volatiles are the valuable asset not the char. The germans were all over this technology, but alas it died for a few decades. You have to filter the [censored] out of that gas stream via a water bubbler and a cyclone or else your motor will get filled up with abrasive particulates. I wouldn't try this with an OBDII car!

This might work for someone who normally heats with wood, but buys power from the grid. Feed a mix of producer gas and air into a diesel generator with the diesel injector amount set on idle, and let it run full tilt into a battery bank of your electric car. Collect the heat for hot water, space heating, or air conditioning via absorption chiller. During summer, spray the exhaust at ground level near a cornfield.

Listeroids love wood gas, but they need a little bit of 2 stroke to keep them lubed up top. Yes you can run the exhaust into a near by gopher hole and solve 2 problems at once!

The British also used a lot of producer gas (blaugas) vehicles in both world wars, as did the Northern European countries. Great stuff.

Did anyone see the guy (I think he was in Germany) who composted woodchips and pumped the gas into innertubes, strapped the innertubes to his little pickup for his weekly trip to town?

lp

I've been wanting to build one of those systems for years, but my paranoia about keeping cylinder walls clean and lubed has always stopped me. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back