Malibu trans RIP

The transmission was designed in-house by GM. I don't know why were it's made matters. I don't disagree that it's a junk transmission, but that's pretty par for the course from GM, regardless of where it's made.
This is a 6T70. It was a GM-Ford design. GM calls it a 6T70, 6T75 or 6T80 Depending on options.

The Ford one is 6F50 and 6F55.

They are used in literally millions of cars. They have been in production since 2006 and are actually a really good unit. The first few years did have some clutch problems but Ford and GM updated them in 2008. Malibu has used it since 2008.

The Edge, Fusion, Escape, Taurus, ATS, XTS, Equinox, Malibu, Traverse are just a few of the vehicles that use them. There is no serviceable filter unless you crack the case open. They have a dipstick/fill hole and drain plug. Service interval is 50,000 miles.
Pop the plug drain 6 qts add 6 qts. It is 9 qt transmission. It is easier than changing your oil.

The big difference between the two is tuning, some gear ratios, and GM uses 4 bolt torque converter.

GM 6T70
GM-Hydra-Matic-6T70-Transmission-M7U.jpg

Ford 6F50
6f50-6f55-transmission.jpg

Op 2600 bucks for an installed transmission is pretty cheap.

GMs seem to be the ones I see coffee black trans fluid in. That said, I have experience with a later year GM 6-speed and it was.. punchy. I think I liked it.
Our 2013 Cruze would blacken the Dex VI … first change at (recommended) 40k looked like we needed to do 30k … just sold it at 140k hard miles ~ and it was still shifting well …
I’d venture that lots of people are not changing fluid in FWD’s …

If the Taurus used the same transmission my parents (and more recently my sister's) 2010 Taurus has 240k miles on the original transmission no issues. Fluid was changed several times (I think every 40k or so first the first while). The water pump recently failed (leaking coolant into oil). A mechanic I used to work with bought it from my parents for $600 with no rust and he's putting all new timing components and water pump in.

The transmission held up better than the engine in this case.

Our 2013 Cruze would blacken the Dex VI … first change at (recommended) 40k looked like we needed to do 30k … just sold it at 140k hard miles ~ and it was still shifting well …
I’d venture that lots of people are not changing fluid in FWD’s …

And I wonder if they know there is literally an 11mm bolt that you can literally do a drain and fill on the ATF the same time as changing the oil if you really want to. Only time I've seen an 11mm socket able to be used. They are straight up and down like on a Trailblazer I6, that one.

The transmissions weren't the problem, it was the other electrics. Many extended warranties, including for battery grounding.. and since electrical sensors tend to be very sensitive about their voltages, that could wreak havoc.

My Uncle has this car and he services all his own cars, being a master tech and all that and he particularly likes GMs and advocates for dealer service and all that (been there done that, owned the shop, got the T-shirt) and the transmission is not the problem. He is letting his it while he gets it ready for sale. He believes he can get $4500 for the car.

I’d get a low mile junkyard transmission pulled and have it installed. Should be under $2k. Used cars cost a fortune right now. You wouldn’t be able to buy a comparable car for under $2k. A similar used car to your Malibu will be $6k. If you don’t want to keep the car have the transmission replaced and then sell it. I definitely wouldn’t “junk” it unless you want to throw away $3k, or the interior/exterior body is already trash.

For what it’s worth my 2011 Mazda6 needed a new rear subframe and dealer quoted me $4000 for R&R on a new subframe. I got a rear subframe from a junkyard for $125 and had a local Meineke install it for $500 and I was back on the road. That’s the gap between dealer and independents if they’ll let you use your own parts. Don’t go to the fancy shops in the costly parts of town. Go a little outside town to the working class area and find a reputable transmission shop where prices will be more down to earth.

Last edited:
where is this “used cars cost a fortune” meme coming from?

Relatively speaking, used car prices are high due to a number of factors. Higher demand from people who are no longer taking public transit and fewer cars in the market due to people staying out of the new car market due to fiscal uncertainty or lack of new car inventory.

supply and demand

Try finding a used car under $1500
(which is all anything with over 100,000 miles is worth anyway)
Not true here. My sister paid $2500 as is for her 05 Camry 170k miles needing $1000 work for a safety and that was the best deal we found. Her 2010 Taurus with a bad water pump with 240k miles was still worth $5000 by the book value (what they wanted to charge our mechanic friend who bought it for $600 to fix). That's Canadian $ but even with the conversion I wouldn't say 100k miles is high enough to drop anything that cheap.

A lot of talk about the 6T70...but being a 4 cyl car, I believe this is a 6T40.

Unfortunately, while the transmissions are extremely similar (as are their failures), GM left the 6T40 owners to fend for themselves. Only the V6 vehicles get the coverage.

6T40 failed in the Malibu in my sig. Fluid changed by myself every 2 years since new. Perfect for 85k miles. Then, a snap ring suddenly let go and grenaded a bunch of hard parts as my wife was dropping the kids off at school.

I had it rebuilt rather than swapped so I could be sure I got updated parts (Sonnax) to resolve the issue. Didn't care to take my chances on a used or new factory unit.

Last edited:
Wasn’t this transaxle the one that GM installed unheat-treated waveplates causing the transmission to lose 3,5, and reverse when it disentigrated?

Not happy to hear 4cylinder owners are left out, that being the case I will probably go with rebuilding also.

Not true here. My sister paid $2500 as is for her 05 Camry 170k miles needing $1000 work for a safety and that was the best deal we found. Her 2010 Taurus with a bad water pump with 240k miles was still worth $5000 by the book value (what they wanted to charge our mechanic friend who bought it for $600 to fix). That's Canadian $ but even with the conversion I wouldn't say 100k miles is high enough to drop anything that cheap.

Your making my point, not that long ago the prices you paid would be significantly lower for the same

To be honest with you, I can’t even get over the fact that the transmission went out at 85,000 miles. That alone would be enough incentive to walk away from the car/manufacturer for life.

Back