Making Money On The Side

Status
Not open for further replies.
A second on the paintless dent repair.

Dent Gypsies charge $100+ per dent around here, with barely a discount for multiple dents on the same panel. That can end up being a few hundred for under an hour of work. And they usually insist on cash, shown before starting and paid immediately after the work is done.

I complain, but I'll pay the right guy. Because paying $75 for a bad job makes paying $150 perfect work seem like a bargain.

Here you go.....

A "House Sitting" service for snow birds, people on vacations, etc.

That'll pay well & you don't have to do much!

I tried getting a part time job that was a bit physical. So I applied to walmart TLE To change tires.

I'm "not qualified". I do agree with that statement, I could never bring myself to overtighten oil filters and drain plugs and use asinine amounts of bead sealer ...

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Do research to see if you qualify for assistance! Even if you are too proud!

I agree.
I see well dressed people using Food Stamps all the time.

Hard working Americans can only afford one or two children while those on 'assistance' can still have large families....go figure.

What i did was buy 2 car tow dollys that i rent out for 35.00 a day. I get a few people a week or i can get one person a week. So far,i've made enough to pay them off, plus 700.This is over a few months. Here in The People's republic of Kalifornia, aluminum cans sell for 2.00 a pound.In Az,they sell for .80lb. Maybe there is a good enough price difference that you can acquire some from one place and take to another? Maybe some computer "cleanup" ads on craigslist where you run programs to clean out clutter,optimize?

I hear you. My wife stayed at home, then started college classes. We managed though.

I wonder if she could probably do some stuff at home. In particular, the small parts stuff that you were doing on eBay: she could do photos, some cleaning, boxing and shipping.

I'm not sure what else would be likewise, other than flipping stuff in general on eBay or Amazon. Find something that is only sold in quantity, then sell in small amounts?

One has to do what one needs to do in order to get by: but I'm not sure how wise it'll be to load yourself up with two-three jobs and then "never" be home to be with family. These early years aren't so important (for dad) but after 5 years or so it's going to be real important to be around and to have an impact.

BE WARNED, in today's litigious society daycare can come back to bite you in the rear end. If you "hang out a shingle", you will have to go through lots of government regulations, inspections,background checks, etc.. Be equally careful if you do it "under the table" for cash. Been there, done that. Almost lost the house.

If things are seriously dire, the Dave Ramsey fans here will suggest you reduce your car expenses to one vehicle, get rid of the cable, and reduce your cell phone bill to $10/month by having a flip phone on a non contract plan. It's real needs vs. wants. Most people now-a-day think that $800/month for phone, internet,cable, vehicles are "needs", when they are really "wants".

Best of luck with everything. I don't have any good ideas to make easy money. It's going to be tough. Look for leads by networking your job customers.

Congrats on your new kid in the family, and good luck.

I have multiple sideline jobs since I graduated from college: I do vintage radio and audio repair, I do ultra high-end audio repair (tube amps), guitar amps repair, high end speaker refoaming, etc. That part usually brings in avg 400~1200/month of side pocket money, but not steady. I also do auto repair (less now during cold winter months), and that typically brings between 200~400/month additionally for weekends.

Occasionally, I do house related small repair work that also bring in additional mullahs.

All in all: my supplementary income has help raised 2 young boyz in the family + paid the mortgage, etc. and we are fairly ok in that regards. Not extremely well off, but my extra income has kept the family afloat even during difficult times (i.e. when I was "in-between" jobs).

@Bob: you have to develop your own skillsets and use them wisely. Mono-job skill is a liability in this day and age, for you may either (a) not have enough when your other 1/2 is off due to whatever reasons; or (b) you are at risk of "in-between" jobs...both will put extra burden on you and your family.

Q.

It's great your wife wants to stay home with your son, but if it's really tight financially and you're putting yourselves into debt, she should probably go back to work. Any grandparents or family members/ friends that can watch him? If she goes back to work you guys could probably afford daycare.

Another first hand comment on in-home daycare pitfalls. Always insist on payment up front, once a client gets behind its very hard to collect.

If the wife does consider going back to work be sure to do the financial analysis, especially if you have to pay for daycare, transportation, etc. A part time fast food job wont cut it.

Last edited:
Another job for your wife is potentially driving older kids to sports/activities or waiting at their homes getting a child on the bus. Typically these folks are harder to find and for two parents working situations where the school schedule does not mesh well with the working schedules.

I used to sell junkyard parts.

I used to work on peoples cars.

I used to build sheds or garages for people.

But now I just house/dog sit. $35 a day to live in their house and eat their food.

Originally Posted By: daves66nova
Here in The People's republic of Kalifornia, aluminum cans sell for 2.00 a pound.In Az,they sell for .80lb.

Holy cow! $2.00 a pound is insane for aluminum cans. In PA we get .55/lb. on a good day. If it would be $2, picking up cans along our roads WOULD be my part time job!

Originally Posted By: daves66nova
Here in The People's republic of Kalifornia, aluminum cans sell for 2.00 a pound.In Az,they sell for .80lb. Maybe there is a good enough price difference that you can acquire some from one place and take to another?

Hmm... sounds familiar...

You can sell plasma. Different areas pay different amounts so you'll have to find out. Maybe $50 - 60/week? That will help out with gas + groceries, plus it doesn't take long to donate either, about 50minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back